Rogaine question

Beanstalk

I have been using Rogaine Extra Strength 2x daily for the past 10 days. I've noticed a LOT more hair falling out. It says this is normal, and is part of the proccess.

Does this mean it is a sign that its working? And if the rogaine doesnt work, will the hair that I've lost due to the rogaine come back if I discontinue use?

It disturbs me to think that if the rogaine doesnt work... all I accomplished by taking it was accelerated hair loss.

I have been using Rogaine Extra Strength 2x daily for the past 10 days. I've noticed a LOT more hair falling out. It says this is normal, and is part of the proccess.

Does this mean it is a sign that its working? And if the rogaine doesnt work, will the hair that I've lost due to the rogaine come back if I discontinue use?

It disturbs me to think that if the rogaine doesnt work... all I accomplished by taking it was accelerated hair loss.

Yes, it is normal. Stay on it and give it at least 6 months to a year. Get on Propecia as well if you're not already. The amino acid supplement L-Lysine will boost your body's ability to process those drugs substantially also, plus it's cheap, so I'd start taking that to boot.

If you're determined enough stick to Rogaine. If you're like me and just can't stick to applying it twice a day - Propecia is the way to go (even if you are still using Rogaine). I bought a whole supply of extra strenght Rogaine, and ended up using it for a week or so, because it was just too much work. Nothing like a pill.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic''. Arthur C. Clarke

Ok let me just say, My hair is shedding like CRAZY!! It's scaring the hell out of me. So let me get more specific with my question. Even if the rogaine/propecia has no effect on my hair regrowth, will the hair I've shed definatley grow back?

I'm starting to think that the rogaine may not be worth it. I mean, it if doesnt work then I've pretty much screwed myself by making my hair fall out 10x faster.

The fact that it is shedding like crazy shows that you are RESPONDING like crazy.

That's a crazy, crazy, GOOD THING BABY!!!

Do yourself a favor, and don't scare yourself off of it if you're responding in such a strong fashion. That really is good news!

Don't stop. Give it 3 months AT THE LEAST.

Be sure to let us know how you shape up!

Regards,

HarryLemon

Thanks for replying. Another thing I was wondering...

Since I've been using the rogaine for a couple weeks, and have been shedding as a result: when I start propecia will I shed even more or has my body already adjusted to the change of DHT level?

• 3 weeks later...

Just bumping my post since no one answered it

I have been using the 5% rogaine for over a month now, and my hair is still falling out a LOT (mainly in the crown). I just started on the propecia 3 days ago. Do you think the propecia will cause *more* shedding, or has my body adjusted enough to the rogaine already?

I don't know the answer to your question, but I have heard that combining Propecia and Minoxidil gives better results than either one will give you alone.

I would say hang in there and try to ride this thing out. Are you working with a doctor on this?

Here are two possible modifications you can make: one would be to switch to Minoxidil 2%, the other would be to apply Minoxidil only once a day.

Thanks, arfy.

Currently I am using the 5% rogaine once a day and taking the propecia. I asked my doctor about this when he prescribed the propecia, but he was really short with me and gave me crappy answers. The second I mentioned propecia, he whipped out his pad and started writing the prescription. So I got my pills, but didnt get a lot of the info I was looking for.

My hair isnt really bad at all right now. And people cant tell I'm balding unless I point it out.

The rogaine is SUCH a pain. Since I'm balding pretty much all over, I use the rogaine all over my head. So I go through those bottles fast as hell. And I cant believe how much is still falling out (handfuls in the shower when i run my hand through my hair). But like I've come to realize... the only thing I can do is continue the medicine and stay positive.

Hi.

I hope I can help you with your question.

From what I know, and from what I have researched, Rogaine ONLY has been proven to work in the crown areas. It is NOT proven effective in the temple or frontal hairline area. Which is were most guys have the issue with hairloss.

The most important part of this as with proscar treatment is that when you shed,you are moving your hair folicules into the next phase. As you know there are three phases of hair growth.

When you start treatment using Rogaine or proscar shedding will occur. This is a good sign that you are responding to the treatment. Also sheeding is only TEMP. It will stop. Once you start using Rogain OR Proscar you must continue using the product for life. Once you stop the new hairs itr has regrown will become subject to DHT and the process will start.

If after one year you donot see any benift then you should discontinue using Rogain or Proscar.

Most people respond very well to Proscar, however this depends soley on when you started treatment in relation to your hairloss and your degree of loss. You need to relax, and follow the intrustion to the "T"

Use only 1 mil twice a day as it describes. ALso you might shed even more as when you take Proscar you interupt the production of DHT. There are side effects such as major increase in sexual drive to loss of sexual drive. But agin most people do not have anything. Also PRoscar is one of the safest drugs on the market today. You need to give these drugs at least a year of use to see results.

If you look at my BEFORE pics you will see what Proscar did for me. We did NOT transplant ANYTHING into the crown. Here is your proof that Proscar can work.

Matthew

My results of Dr. Alvihttp://www.dralvihairtransplant.com/page_Patient19MS.htm

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Thank you for the long response. I know rogaine wont help anywhere except my crown probably.... but do you think the propecia will work in my hairline/temple (and pretty much my whole head)?

Hi Beanstalk:

The manufactors of Proscar or finasteride Donot claim that hairlines can be restored. The latest data show this to be true. Mereck Frost the maker of Proscar also seems to tell the same tale. According to the FDA and Health Canada Canada "finisteride" can slow down the hairloss proscess by stopping DHT formation, therefore allowing regrowth of normal hair. This process takes months and months to see.

After about a year or even six months see if you notice a difference. Over 87% of guys do notice a cosemtically acceptable change. The most important part of Finasteride treatment is how much your hair loss has progressed PRIOR to treatment. If you look at my before pics you can see the how much it improved my hair. My hairtranplantion was NOT In the crown areas. If there is not improvement after a year I would stop treatment. It totally depends on what Norwood scale you are currently holding at. Also note there are side effects to finerstride. Mine was major increase in sexual interest!

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Matthew

so there is nothing that will regrow hair in the "top area" or hairline? will the propecia at least stop or slow down hairloss in these areas? i dont think a full crown will do much good if the rest of my head is bald icon_frown.gif

Rogaine/propecia may grow hair all over your head, after all there is no difference between the hair infront as there as in the crown. The tests however that merc/johns or who ever made those two drugs only tested the crown, thereforre they can only make claims that it works on the crown. I KNOW otherwise. I used rogaine on my temples and after about 2 weeks I saw little hairs popping up. Also After two months I would say the hair on my temples has moved almost 1/2 inch. But thats me, use it there for yourself and see, if it doesn't work, stop, if it does aren't you glad you tried?

none

none

none:

You make a very good point: You might as well try. What do you have to lose? Not much if anything, and the potential gain is great.

You are incorrect, however, about the pharmas "not testing" areas other than the crown. Yeah, they did. And its easy to apply rogaine all over or pop a pill and inspect the whole scalp. The fact of the matter is that very, very few people respond in the temples to either drugs.

But a very few (like you) do respond. Some people don't regrow hair but they keep the hair they have or it thickens.

I just wanted to clear up that testing has been done on the entire scalp and to second your motion that you might as well give it a shot.

It is great that the meds have worked so well for you!

vocor1

Knowledge is Power

If the worst question is the one never asked, then the worst answer is the one never shared.