can concealers retard growth?

I know alot of people use concealers after their HTs. I'm about 7 weeks post-op and finally ditched the hat, so i've been using dermatch on the scar and toppik on the recipient area. I figure I'm going to have to keep using them until the recipient area grows in. I do wash it off every night. Any concerns with long term use, as far as retarding the growth of the grafts?

- badger

3279 grafts with Dr Gabel - 06/12/08

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Gabel

I know alot of people use concealers after their HTs. I'm about 7 weeks post-op and finally ditched the hat, so i've been using dermatch on the scar and toppik on the recipient area. I figure I'm going to have to keep using them until the recipient area grows in. I do wash it off every night. Any concerns with long term use, as far as retarding the growth of the grafts?

- badger

Originally posted by badger_01:

A couple of months back, this was debated and Janna had some points about concealers. However, all I remember was she said to be sure and wash it out nightly, the same as a woman would wash off makeup nightly. Something about stopping up the pores, etc.

100? 'mini' grapfts by Latham's Hair Clinic - 1991 (Removed 50 plugs by Cooley 3/08.)

2750 FU 3/20/08 by Dr. Cooley

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

Rogaine 5% Foam - every now and then

AndroGel - once daily

Lipitor - 5 mg every other day

Weightlifting - 2x per week

Jogging - 3x per week

I used concealers religiously; in fact, I wasn't always washing them out nightly, either, just whenever I'd happen to be showering.

Got a bit paranoid at one point and started seeking out answers to questions just like yours and it took some digging, but the concensus I came to was that short of caking your scalp and leaving them in for days on end I'd be fine. For the health of your scalp in general, however, I def think you should wash them out nightly, ideally.

As you plan to be diligent w/ washing them out nightly, you should be 100% OK, and I would be truly surprised if someone said different.

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

Actually, one question I wouldn't mind seeing an answer to is if dermmatch/nanogen *could* truly retard, if not destroy, growth in an "extreme" situation....say, you applied a moderate+ amount, left it in for 50 hours, washed it out, and repeated etc etc.

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

most products will say if they are intended for use with an ht. i know dermatch is for sure. if you have any doubts just ask your ht doc.

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

thanks for all the info guys.

The products do say they're recommended for use after HTs...but you can never trust marketing. I've been using concealers for a couple of years now with no adverse effects...but its re-assuring to hear from people who've used it after their own HTs.

- badger