#2 with Dr. Feller

Big1

Hi Guys. It's been a while. Here is what I have to report. I went to Dr. Feller for a postage stamp fue session nearly 2 months ago. Today I did another postage stamp session. I am a happy camper!

Here is the run down.

I started with Bosley (in Beverly Hills)

I then went to NHI (Los Angeles). They were only slightly better than Bosley. Yes they used microscopes, but left me with 3 and 4 hair grafts IN MY HAIRLINE!!! Also, the scars we're nearly half an inch wide.

I then went to DeYarman in San Diego. He is an expert and I would recommend him any day. He is precise and dependable. He is an excellent surgeon and improved my situation immensely. Based on my research, he is the best on the west coast. Period.

Last is Dr. Feller. This man is the surgeon's surgeon. He is so precise. Feller is the master of f.u.e. He invented (and patented) punches and blades so that he (and others) could perform the procedure with precision and minimal scarring. He really is an innovator. Feller is my top pick worldwide because of his facility and ultra dense packing.

I hope that this concludes my journey and would be happy to offer my insights to anyone curious about my experience or just getting started. icon_cool.gif

Hi Guys. It's been a while. Here is what I have to report. I went to Dr. Feller for a postage stamp fue session nearly 2 months ago. Today I did another postage stamp session. I am a happy camper!

Here is the run down.

I started with Bosley (in Beverly Hills)

I then went to NHI (Los Angeles). They were only slightly better than Bosley. Yes they used microscopes, but left me with 3 and 4 hair grafts IN MY HAIRLINE!!! Also, the scars we're nearly half an inch wide.

I then went to DeYarman in San Diego. He is an expert and I would recommend him any day. He is precise and dependable. He is an excellent surgeon and improved my situation immensely. Based on my research, he is the best on the west coast. Period.

Last is Dr. Feller. This man is the surgeon's surgeon. He is so precise. Feller is the master of f.u.e. He invented (and patented) punches and blades so that he (and others) could perform the procedure with precision and minimal scarring. He really is an innovator. Feller is my top pick worldwide because of his facility and ultra dense packing.

I hope that this concludes my journey and would be happy to offer my insights to anyone curious about my experience or just getting started. icon_cool.gif

How many grafts did you get in your FUE sessions? How many in the first session and how many in the second? Was the cost reasonable?

1,614 with Dr. Pistone on 2/3/06 in Marlton, NJ.

As long as the moon shall rise

As long as the rivers flow

As long as the sun shall shine

And the grass will grow

Let me listen, I will learn to speak

The old language

Yes, I yearn to bathe in blue skies

And fall apart from the world of machines

Regain my feet and my pounding heart

My Hair Loss Weblog

Around 200 FUE at the first procedure. 253 today (even though I only paid for 200 grafts). Obviously, he is very generous, but even if I didn't get 25% more grafts for free, I'd still be a happy camper. It's the only office in the world (to my knowledge) where one can significantly improve (and even eliminate) one's deficiencies for little more than $1500. His patients get the very best for a fraction of what many other less skilled surgeons charge because he really seems to do it for the fun of it. I got away cheap (in terms of money and scarring).

I corrected my problem areas with State Of The Art F.U.E. It could have been done with strip but at this stage, it wouldn't have been practical. FUE (IN FELLER'S HANDS) is an ideal option for people who look good but want it to be perfect.

Wish me luck (although I've certainly had my fair share of good fortune thus far). Thanks for the interest. icon_cool.gif

Hi there...in my opinion there is no point in doing that many (600) at once. I feel that 600 is too few to have a strip. FUE would be my solution.

Yesterday, I was in and out in 3 hours. I appreciate that kind of convenience; additionally, because the grafts were localized to one small area of my head, I was able to sleep last night without any difficulty.

We did the left hairline and I slept on my right the whole night. My grafts (on my left side) were protected and covered with hair but they didn't need to be covered... I never attempted to roll over, because even with 2 pills of extra strength tylenol, it would have been too uncomfortable; that is, to try and move my head so that my grafts would come in contact with the pillow.

And that is another benefit of a small surgery. I was able to deal with the nagging pain (which was more like a headache) using Tylenol. I only took 2 pills last night, before I went to bed. Today I'm a new man.

I don't need to wear a hat today (to conceal the work). To find it, someone would have to lift my hair and inspect. I grew my hair long enough so that the back, of which a small part was shaved, would also be concealed.

I've done enough research over 5 years on this site (and others) to become an expert. My advice is simply that YOU also become an expert. My research ultimately led me to Dr. Feller. icon_cool.gif

No, Dr. Feller didn't shave my recipient area. The surgery would have been even faster had he buzzed it, but clearly, I prefered to keep my hair the way it was, which is long.

I might have redness in my donor area but no one could ever tell because my hair covers it. icon_cool.gif

With a small fue procedure like this is there any shock loss?

1045 FUT "hairline" with Dr Feller on Nov 05

825 "hairline" with Dr Loria "saw so so results" on Jan 01

MHR 325 "hairline" micro/mini 's 1999 "big mistake"

Jake vig: Thanks.

It took a long time to get it right. The quickest way to do it is to go to one of the guys who has a GREAT reputation ON THIS SITE. (No one controversial.) Then go to Feller for refinement (the real artistry) via F.U.E.. Or start and end with Feller. I wish I would have done that (although DeYarman, in San Diego, is top notch for strip and I am damned happy I found him).

I wish I knew then (when I started this process) what I know now but learning takes time. I believe perfection is possible these days but to achieve such ends, I believe F.U.E. must be utilized. icon_cool.gif

Looks Good Big1!!!!! Congrats on your transformation.

Anyway, There is a lot of talk going around these days about harvesting 6 to 8k grafts via strip BUT patients still having 1 to 2K grafts available via FUE.

Just tossing this out there since it seems to apply to this thread a bit. Perhaps Dr. Feller can comment on the "safe" zone availability once a patient has had large grafts removed via strip.

Congrats once again!!!!

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

B spot: Thanks man. It's only a matter of time before you change that "B" to a "G".

I don't know anyone who has MPB and has more than 6000 extra grafts. If the new hairline is age appropriate, density will really sell it as being natural. Needless to say, it is impossible to achieve maximum density in 1 procedure; subsequent procedures are required to get inside the spaces. For instance, a doctor who can effect 50 grafts/cm2 in an initial procedure has about half of the cm2 left to fill in for the subsequent procedures (and that's if 100% of the grafts grow, which will never happen; some grafts just don't make it). It sure would be nice to have some extra grafts left in the bank.

That is why, it seems to me, that a procedure which exhausts one's entire supply of donor hair is stupid.

Some people who are attracted to doing it in 1 procedure might prefer a light covering over more territory, but they lose the ability to choose in the future. For someone in their twenties or thirties this likely won't be age appropriate. Men younger than 40, that is, men who don't yet have gray hair, will need more density to make the transplanted hair be indistinguishable.

I believe that if a patient has 6000 grafts he shouldn't use them all in one procedure (ESPECIALLY if he is young). DENSITY IS WHAT SELLS IT. Two provides better results than one, but three is better than two. But one surgery is undoubtedly less expensive in terms of time and money. That which is right for the patient is determined by the patient's priorities.

Any prospect of density is ancient history without the luxury of a second (and third) procedure. icon_cool.gif

it is impossible to achieve maximum density in 1 procedure; subsequent procedures are required to get inside the spaces. For instance, a doctor who can effect 50 grafts/cm2 in an initial procedure has about half of the cm2 left to fill in for the subsequent procedures

Without disputing what a surgeon can't do in one pass, the point...as I have been made to under stand it, is that about 50% density will appear to have reasonable density, so that a 2nd procedure may not be necessary.

Certainly my Doctor (and he's one of the top guys) didn't tell me that a 2nd procedure would be necessary to get max effect at the hairline. On the contrary, what we discussed was maximum density (within the contraints of natural placement) at the hairline in one go. My expectation is reasonably good density up front.

mark h

"Reasonable density" is subjective. What you think is "reasonably dense" I may think is sparse. Depends on your priorities and age. If you're convinced that one procedure is all you need, then don't let me dissuade you. I'm sure your hair looks great.

My goal was to reproduce what I had lost. That takes more than 1 surgery. My hair looked good before but will look even better in a year.

Best wishes with your head. icon_cool.gif

Good Posts and Topics Guys!!!!

I am a patron of TWO surgeries--a couple of reasons

1. It allows the PATIENT to decide where he or she would like to place the second session. A patient might want a density of 70, but if he gets 45-55 on #1, can then DECIDE if he wants more there, or if that is fine, put them somewhere else.

2. What if one has poor yield? The doc can then go back and resolve the situation and attack the exact locations needed.

3. It really allows a doc to play with artistry and various density's to achieve patient goals.

I was a NW6 before my surgery, and after 3000 grafts, I am ready to take the next step to maximize my donor on my SECOND surgery. I feel that Dr. Shapiro has created a great "base" by recreating my hairline and giving me some coverage throughout the front 120cms. My idea is to get 4000+ on #2 which I think will be mind blowing once it grows in.

If that happens, that will put me at 7000 grafts.

Anyway, I am wondering what donor will I have left? If I can do a FUE for 500 to 1000 more, ect.... I hope I don't need it, but if that's what it takes icon_biggrin.gif

Again, these are my opinions, and the philosophy that I subscribe to.

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

B spot: I like your style (re: "if that's what it takes"). icon_biggrin.gif

A little FUE can make such an enormous difference. And 200-400 grafts can be harvested from just about any patient at any stage. Ignoring the benefits of refinement via F.U.E. is like paying for a luxury car and refusing all of the options. In other words, it is the added "extra", that is the difference between a nice look and a *natural* look. icon_cool.gif

• 4 months later...

It's been a long time since I last checked in, 7 months after my first session with Feller (and 5 months after my second).

There is light at the end of this tunnel!

Thanks Dr. Feller! icon_cool.gif

• 8 months later...

I just had #3 with Feller! I had another postal stamp session that was very successful.

I only paid for 200 f.u.e.'s but the man would not stop extracting!!! I can't believe the amount of extra work he did without charging me.

I wish I would have started with Feller...I'd already be done and there wouldn't be any mess for him to clean up (created by a hair transplant "institute" in Los Angeles). However, I'm damned lucky that he's here to help now.

Pics are on the way. icon_cool.gif

I think next year I may do a 200 lunch timer to but the icing on my cake. I am super happy now at 8 months post op #3 but details, details, detals.

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!