Can Folliculitis kill transplanted hair?

Hi guys,

I got an email from someone who viewed my hair loss blog. He asked if I had suffered from folliculitis following my transplant procedure. Why, I'm not sure?.. he never followed up when I began asking him questions.

Anyway, my hair growth since the transplant has been less than stellar and I'm wondering if maybe this is the cause? I've always had a fair amount of redness, boils and scalp irritations. However, I just figured it was the new hair trying to push through based on what I read here. Now I'm not so sure. Can this permanently damage newly transplanted hair to the point of eventual loss?

Thanks

'06/2500 w/Dr. Keene

'07/1500 w/Dr. Keene

My Hair Loss Weblog

Hi guys,

I got an email from someone who viewed my hair loss blog. He asked if I had suffered from folliculitis following my transplant procedure. Why, I'm not sure?.. he never followed up when I began asking him questions.

Anyway, my hair growth since the transplant has been less than stellar and I'm wondering if maybe this is the cause? I've always had a fair amount of redness, boils and scalp irritations. However, I just figured it was the new hair trying to push through based on what I read here. Now I'm not so sure. Can this permanently damage newly transplanted hair to the point of eventual loss?

Thanks

'06/2500 w/Dr. Keene

'07/1500 w/Dr. Keene

My Hair Loss Weblog

Having "boil" type inflamation is common after a hair transplant and is not a reason to worry about growth. I remember some of my new grafts causing some monster zits. Hate to be gross but when a few of those buggers popped I could have hit a beer can at fifty feet. They were big and sore but it all worked out in the end.

The Truth is in The Results

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Hi

At 2 plus months post op , i am keeping some small boils andpimple in the recepiant area.. This is due to the grafts popping through the skin .. One the grafts are set and about 10 days, they are pretty much safe

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Thanks guys...

I should've mentioned that I'm almost at eleven months post-op. I have nowhere near the amount of cm2 density I expected. Please understand I DON'T consider this to be my doctor's fault. I'm just worried that an underlying infection (like folliculitis) may be present that's inhibiting or even stopping my growth?

'06/2500 w/Dr. Keene

'07/1500 w/Dr. Keene

My Hair Loss Weblog

Midiman,

I highly doubt that an infection of any kind has impacted your growth.

I tried looking at your immediately post op pictures and your 9 month pictures to get a clearer picture of what might be happening. Though you don't portray many angles so I can't get the perfect picture, I'd suggest that you are exactly where I'd expect you to be with 2600 grafts.

From your before pictures, you clearly have a lot of loss. Your 2 day post op pictures suggests that you had hair transplanted from the frontal third all the way back to the crown (correct me if I'm wrong). 2600 grafts is clearly not a lot for the coverage area, therefore density is clearly sacrificed. I'd say you are where you should be with the amount of transplanted grafts.

Of course, if I have the wrong idea of the pictures, I'd encourage you to post some pictures of different angles so we can get a better idea of where the hair was transplanted.

Bill

Midiman, I agree with Bill 100%.

The 2600 grafts you recieved is usually dense packed in the frontal 1/3 of the scalp.

Yours appear to be spread over a larger area,

as you mentioned into the crown.

If Gorpy would pop his head in he could give you an estimate of how many grafts per cm2 you should have.

Mid

I have had 5000 total and my first 2 HT's totaled 2800 or so.. You tend to realize over time that 2800 or so does not cover substantial loss. It's called hair greed as well haha

Talk to your doctor but I'm sure you are probably getting what was planned by the doc..

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Good thread.......

Midiman - I think Bill hit the nail on the head. The 2600 grafts you received appear to have all grown, they were just spaced out too far apart to give you the density you were likely looking for. Another 2600-3000 in that same area would probably get you where you want to be.

The number of grafts a person needs is relative to their state of loss. Even when we try and generalize with the Norwood scale, its a guesstimate at best. I was around the NW 4 - 5 with diffused thinning before any HT's. Now, after 2 HT's and a little more than 5000 grafts, I've decided I'd still like a little more density everywhere..........even more in the crown where I had around 3000 grafts placed. Plus, I haven't really even touched hairline and temples yet.

If a person is going toward anything close to full restoration and is more than NW 4 or 5, it's going to take many, many grafts. Even up to 6000-8000 or possibly more depending on hair characteristics.

All the more reason a person considering a HT really needs to do their homework on what it takes to achieve the coverage they're looking for. The results over the past couple of years have really blown me away...........some guys at NW 6 now have the appearance of a full head of hair.......i.e. you would not look at them and say "oh, he's thinning, balding, losing his hair". This type of coverage was not available 10 years ago unless you wanted to go in for 5-10 sessions and mucho more $$$.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Midiman and I discussed his case before the transplant. At that time I suggested he go for more. I agree with the others that the result looks about right for the amount of grafts and area covered. He will get a little more hair shaft thickening over time, but with about 25 grafts per cm2, this is as expected. Another 2600 would give you some nice results.

[Edit]

I should qualify this and state that doing another pass of combined FU's (1000 or so) like I did would give you good density. I am having good success with this method.

2700 Total Grafts w/ Keene 9/28/05

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

1000 Total Grafts w/Keene 2/08/07

Mostly combined FU's for 2600+ hairs

My Photo Album

See me at Dr. Keene's Gallery

Hey, Gorpy -

Nice to see (read) you again. Anxious to hear about how HT #2 is coming in for you. Anything to report??

Peace,

Hairbank

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Hey Bank!

I'm receiving unusually rapid growth this time. Much faster than last time. It started at about 2.5 months and is growing like gangbusters. I'm not sure why. Maybe my head just likes smaller sessions.

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

My Photo Album

Originally posted by Gorpy:

Midiman and I discussed his case before the transplant. At that time I suggested he go for more. I agree with the others that the result looks about right for the amount of grafts and area covered. He will get a little more hair shaft thickening over time, but with about 25 grafts per cm2, this is as expected. Another 2600 would give you some nice results.

Thanks for the advice and evaluations...

So 25cm2 should produce 25 grafts within a centimeter squared.. right? (roughly 3/8 of an inch). I had roughly 75 centimeters to fill.

The procedure planned for 25-30 cm2. Also, Dr. Keene was nice enough to add an additional 200 4-hair grafts (leftovers) to my crown for filler.

Look at my attachment... I'm seeing maybe 5-10 grafts at best at the front, usually an area that doctors like to "build up" for effect. Does this look right?

I've contacted Dr. Keene and I'm awaiting her evaluation. I'll keep you posted. Thanks again!

Right_Angle_Close-Up.jpg.aab8c2e03948e4afa603c06fdc6b0b5f.jpg

'06/2500 w/Dr. Keene

'07/1500 w/Dr. Keene

My Hair Loss Weblog

Dr. Keene's style is to produce this type of fading hairline. That is not unusual. When I say 25 grafts/cm2, it does not mean that that is consistent over the entire head. Your hairline looks like a typical Keene hairline. I think it looks good. What you probably want is a little more thickness behind it.

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

My Photo Album

Bro- I am sure she will not abandon you. But with all due respect you should not be waiting by the phone. Your concerns should be taken cere of toot sweet.

Photos hide but I can see it.

Hang- Tough

A hair on the head is worth two on the brush.

I don't work for commision.. I bust e'm for free. Thank me later.

a "Keene hairline"? But I wanted the Armani!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Yeah I agree the hairline is excellent. No hint of a transplant here. You know, I just took a shower and I STILL must have 15 to 20 minor scalp irritations! I know this is common after 2-3 months, but eleven months post-op!!!

'06/2500 w/Dr. Keene

'07/1500 w/Dr. Keene

My Hair Loss Weblog

It does seem unusual, but I remember having some sprouts even at the one year point. You could be experiencing some late sprouts that are causing irritations.

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

My Photo Album

Originally posted by Gorpy:

Hey Bank!

I'm receiving unusually rapid growth this time. Much faster than last time. It started at about 2.5 months and is growing like gangbusters. I'm not sure why. Maybe my head just likes smaller sessions.

Great news, Gorpy!

I expect we'll get to see the pics sometime soon, my friend? You know us HTN guys........we wanna see the pics icon_wink.gif.

Peace,

Hairbank

My Hair Loss Weblog