This is it guys - a cure - move to the country

Article from Aussie Website:

Pollution leads to baldness - research

From correspondents in London

May 06, 2008 01:55am

Article from: The Courier-Mail

Font size: + -

Send this article: Print Email

TO the follicly-challenged who've tried gels, drugs and even a transplant with little joy, the research will come as a breath of fresh air.

A study suggests that men living in polluted areas are more likely to go bald than those who enjoy living in a cleaner atmosphere.

The discovery raises the prospect that yet more treatments for the often confidence-sapping condition could be developed.

Academics at the University of London linked the onset of male-pattern baldness to environmental factors, such as air pollution and smoking.

They believe toxins and carcinogens found in polluted air can stop hair growing by blocking mechanisms that produce the protein from which hair is made.

Baldness is known to be hereditary, but research suggests environmental factors could exacerbate hair loss.

Male-pattern baldness, which affects two-thirds of men, usually develops gradually, typically starting with the appearance of a bald spot in the crown and thinning of the temples.

Mike Philpott, of the school of medicine at Queen Mary, University of London, said: "We think any pollutant that can get into the bloodstream or into the skin and into the hair follicle could cause some stress to it and impair the ability of the hair to make a fibre. There are a whole host of carcinogens and toxins that could trigger this."

The study was published in the Journal of Investigative Dermatology.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,23649665-401,00.html

Hopefully it will give science a few more leads ....

I think its true, that it may quicken the hair loss process. Now think of the reverse, as in keeping in tip top shape with cardio. Cardio will slower the process by providing oxygen and good ciculation to the head.

I know they say wearing a hat doesn't cause hairloss, but every job I had from 20 - 35 yrs. old where I had to wear a hardhat a lot, I noticed more hairloss almost immediately. Maybe those hairs would've come out anyway, but it also seems to thicken up when I would transfer and not have to wear one anymore.

100? 'mini' grapfts by Latham's Hair Clinic - 1991 (Removed 50 plugs by Cooley 3/08.)

2750 FU 3/20/08 by Dr. Cooley

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

Rogaine 5% Foam - every now and then

AndroGel - once daily

Lipitor - 5 mg every other day

Weightlifting - 2x per week

Jogging - 3x per week

Do people think that smoking can make hairloss worse.

Since my London HT 5 years ago my life has got worse and worse.. I do not go out much as I am so paranoid. I am lucky as I work from home.. I have no or little contact with people.

The only thing that stops me going crazy is my cigaretts.. but I would try and give them up if it made my hair grow

Thank you

I know they are deadly...

but I also suffer from depression.... which I can assure you is also deadly..

I did start at a self help group but some of the people I chatted to did the usual and kept looking up at my hairline... nice row of plugs that always draw attention..

But yes.. I agree.... I should give up..

Thank you

Actually Drs Farjo have been involved with Prof Philpott at University of London in this research study for a few years now. Through their connection, he was an invited speaker on this issue at the ISHRS Annual Meeting in Las Vegas last September. See the main press article quoting Dr Farjo in the Sunday Telegraph recently at http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/main.jhtml?xml=/earth/...05/04/scibald104.xml. Not had the time yet to update our research page on our website with this info.

Patient coordinator for Dr. Bessam Farjo who is an esteemed member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

In my opinion, nothing but genetics causes MPB. I know many people young and old who smoke like chimneys and have great heads of hair, i also know many people who dont smoke, exercise daily, and are balding. I agree certain factors may increase the progression, like stress, but its obvious pollution and smoking do NOT cause hair-loss.

WE were told that since our water here is hard we have had chance of having hair thining as in excessive breakage.some many thing do come up about hair loss. l would say it does fall in the hair myths vs facts.

Guy Correlation does not equal causation.. Regarding the pollution issue. If it "caused" hairloss everyone would lose their hair including women .

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

um yea sure pollution......or your PLAIN OBVIOUS genetics.

hence why some family lines have hair and others dont

BRAINS BRAINS BRAINS

~im getting a hair transplant in 2012 when im 25~

smoking is also highly linked to cancer, but my grandfather smoked like a chimney and lived to 92 in his easy chair in his own home.

I think a good number of things can speed hairloss, especially in those who are already genetically wired to loose theirs. also, everyone responds differenty to the environment.