15,000 BHT & FUE Hybrid for NW6 at 9 months (VIDEO) -Dr Umar

The foregoing is a video link detailing the case from before the surgery to the result at the 9 month mark.

For the video click the following link:

SURGERY DETAILS:

BHT (Using beard and body hair) + FUE (Using head hair) Hybrid

Completed in one surgery session over 9 contiguos weekdays.

Graft Break down:

Beard: 6250

Head donor: 3617

Legs/thighs: 2528

Chest: 1647

Abdominal Areas: 900

Arms: 531

Goal:

1. Coverage of the entire NW6 area (crown included) to a NW 0-1 hairline.

2. The ability to maintain a shorter hair cut without worrying about visible scars (seen in strip HT).

3. Donor preservation: The ability to harvest donor areas in the future should the need arises, in event of progression to NW 7 and beyond. Over harvesting of head donors is to be avoided.

4. The absence of cosmetically significant body scarring.

side-by-side61.jpg

side-by-side31.jpg

April222008007.jpg

Sanusi Umar, MD, FAAD

The foregoing is a video link detailing the case from before the surgery to the result at the 9 month mark.

For the video click the following link:

SURGERY DETAILS:

BHT (Using beard and body hair) + FUE (Using head hair) Hybrid

Completed in one surgery session over 9 contiguos weekdays.

Graft Break down:

Beard: 6250

Head donor: 3617

Legs/thighs: 2528

Chest: 1647

Abdominal Areas: 900

Arms: 531

Goal:

1. Coverage of the entire NW6 area (crown included) to a NW 0-1 hairline.

2. The ability to maintain a shorter hair cut without worrying about visible scars (seen in strip HT).

3. Donor preservation: The ability to harvest donor areas in the future should the need arises, in event of progression to NW 7 and beyond. Over harvesting of head donors is to be avoided.

4. The absence of cosmetically significant body scarring.

side-by-side61.jpg

side-by-side31.jpg

April222008007.jpg

Sanusi Umar, MD, FAAD

Dr. Umar,

Body hair transplantation has always intrigued me, but to date, I haven't seen a lot of consistency in producing high hair growth yields.

Given that this patient seems to have had a good bit of native hair before surgery and almost 15,000 grafts, how would you describe this patient's current growth yield and yield to come? Approximately how much did this patient pay for surgery?

Thanks for participating,

Bill

Bill,

The posted photos could be deceptive given that the combover is not adequately revealed. I think watching the

in its entirety would reveal the pre-op state and the result at 9 months better:

The following photo for instance reveals the true extent of the baldness and the attempt to conceal same with a combover:

IMG_2810.jpg

Considering that that much ground is covered with a NW 0-1 hairline, and the fact that on the average 2-3 body hair follicles (they are thinner and mostly singles) are equivalent to one head hair follicle(thicker and mostly doubles and triples) I would think the yield is excellent at this stage. The

again reflects this well.

The

illustrates further the advantage of this hybrid approach in extensively bald individuals. It affords us the liberty of going for a NW 0-1 hairline in extensively bald individuals such as the one shown on the video without having to sacrifice the crown and density in the background of a pristine head donor area that is not overharvested. I think that is what this patient is on the verge of achieving. That would be impossible to achieve with a head hair only approach.

My fees are very competitive for FUE and BHT.

Regards,

Sanusi Umar, MD, FAAD

Dr. Umar,

Thanks for posting a top/down before picture. It is clear that this patient has a lot more loss than the angled picture reveals.

Do you also have a top/down after picture you can post? This would be quite helpful.

I admit that I haven't seen the video yet (though I plan to), but I'd still like to know how you feel about his hair growth yield. If you could put a percentage on it - what do you think it would be?

Thanks,

Bill

• Moderators

I've been interested in transplanting underarm hair to my head. Wouldn't hair from that area be better than taking hair from an arm or leg? Underarm hair grows longer and thicker than other hair on a persons body. It's much more like head hair than arm or leg hair is. You also don't have to worry about scars in the donor area because who will ever see my underarms anyway? On top of that I think you can take it out by strip method rather than FUE.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

Not to sound negative but to me the pictures of the patient don't look natural. The characteristics of his hair now look kind of like hairs from a SCRUBING BRUSH. Very harsh hairs sticking out. Sorry icon_smile.gif

Dr. Umar,

The video is much more impressive than the photos in my opinion.

Do you have a higher resolution version of this video on your website? The one on youtube is quite small. High resolution top of the head "after" photos will also be helpful.

I'm still interested what you feel about the percentage of transplanted hair that grew.

Also, what would you say his hair density is now in the varying areas of his scalp?

It is clear however, that his hair is much improved from before any surgery.

Best wishes,

Bill

Im not sure im crazy about these results! Is this 15,000 grafts or hairs? If 15000 grafts it seems that this patient should have a fuller look. I agree that the hair doesnt look natural, and why is the doctor being so gentle when brushing this guys hair?

• Moderators

You have to understand that most of it is body hair which grows slower and shorter than head hair. I'd like to see the results in another 3 to 6 months. The big thing in this case is he covered a large area without getting a strip scar. I do think it would look better if he dyed his hair all one color instead of having the different shades from transplanting from different body areas.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

Bill,

We are just begining to get these videos together. So bear with us, but there are a lot of videos and photos to follow of different patients and varying scenarios. All the videos are taken in the HD mode, however a lot of the quality is compromised in youtube. We are going to have all these videos and photos added to our website in due course. I must admit that our website has not been updated in over 1 year. this would happen very soon.

In the meantime the youtube video quality does improve significantly if you click the "watch in high quality" option located to the bottom and left of the video clip, it is highlighted in blue just below the view count.

As at the 9th month mark, the patient has enjoyed at least more than 70% yield putting it conservatively. A lot of the growth is also finer body hair that should mature and thicken in the ensuing several months. These finer body hair at this stage tend to impact a toppik like effect in between the head and beard hair. I have discussed the toppik like effect of body hair previously in another patient over 2 years ago when I first noticed the phenomenon: Toppik like effect of BHT"

The part that is still catching up is the crown which as is already known tends to lag behind the rest of the scalp in filling in after transplantation.

The patient is scheduled to undergo 4000 additional grafting in a few months time. He would have been at the 13th month mark at the time. All manners of views of photos and videos would be shot at the time, and the forum updated right before the next surgery occurs. The 4000 grafts would be first applied to the crown (the crown received less grafts in the first surgery), and any area of comparative less density in the remaining scalp.

A side note: This patient is very happy with his result. He has gone to looking to be in his late 50s to being in his early 30s. This transformation would have been more glaring had we the permission to show the face, which would have given the transformation better context.

Regards

Dr. Umar,

Thanks for taking the time to provide a detailed explanation and answering my questions. I look forward to seeing how this patient progresses over the next several months. I can see why he is happy with his result so far.

Please keep us posted and I look forward to seeing more of your work.

Bill

P.S. I'm also glad to hear that Pat's visit to your clinic went well.