Swimming pool/chlorine harmful effects?

YoungGuy

I'm on Proscar 1/4 daily and it's been stopping my hairloss. Last week I've gone swimming and when showering that night, I noticed a ton of shedding - as much as in the pre-finasteride days. By the next day, things were back to normal.

Has anyone experienced something similar? Is it possible that chlorine causes hair to shed? I'd like to add swimming a mile/day to my lifting routine so I'm hoping this isn't the case. I'd appreciate any input on this.

The only thing the chlorinated water does is dry out your hair and scalp. So, lets say you have hairs that are about to fall out due to normal cycling of hair that everyone has, regardless of MPB. Some might have held on another week, some another 2 weeks, etc. But, the chlorine dried out the hair and scalp, which it does very well by the way. Those hairs ended up falling a few days earlier than they might have normally. If you swim a lot, use a good conditioner.

Well...I was a swimmer...swam 5 hours a day some days...of course...I am now a recovering NW 6.

BUT...pushing40 is right...the fact that I was a swimmer and lost my hair is a coincidence. My scalp and hair was extremely dry, but I didn't start losing my hair until 3 years later slowly due to MPB.

Cheers,

Bill

I've gone swimming again yesterday and had no extra shedding whatsoever, so it seems Pushing40 was right. Which is great.

Thanks for the advice, if I didn't get it I probably wouldn't have gone back for that second time to find out icon_wink.gif

• 3 years later...

According to researchers, chlorine in swimming pools does not contribute to hair loss. Chlorine in pools simply will damage your hair and make the surface of your nails then, however, it does not affect the number of strands in your hair.

Edited by Future_HT_Doc