Ahhh!! Creatine

This question is for the weight lifters in this community like Bill and others. There is a lot of misinformation circulating about creatine. Rumors abound as to possible side effects arising from creatine use. I have heard allegations of increased hair loss and that really freaked me out because I started to use creatine a month ago. Some side effects have been substantiated in a scientific level while other has not (like hair loss). Guys, have you used creatine before? And if so did you experience increased hair loss or this is only a myth?

This question is for the weight lifters in this community like Bill and others. There is a lot of misinformation circulating about creatine. Rumors abound as to possible side effects arising from creatine use. I have heard allegations of increased hair loss and that really freaked me out because I started to use creatine a month ago. Some side effects have been substantiated in a scientific level while other has not (like hair loss). Guys, have you used creatine before? And if so did you experience increased hair loss or this is only a myth?

Hi Ralph,

Creatine for me did not do anything side effects wise. It just made me hold some water. Creatine isnt worth the price imo. Just get some basic Creatine Mono, dont buy into the Cell Tech bullshit, or whatever....

However, I did do a few cycles of anabolic steroids, and wow.... You wanna talk about accelerating hair loss.

Since the science of creatine has nothing to do with DHT, you are safe icon_wink.gif.

Just stay away from steroids...

Whereas steroids in itself won't necessarily cause hair loss, it can certainly expedite it for those who are genetically predisposed to Androgenetic Alopecia (MPB).

Bill

I started noticing my hair falling out a bit more, when I was really into lifting and was on creatine at the time. Not exactly sure which type of creatine it was, but it was the ones that you mixed with water in powder form. Can't really say that creatine had anything to do with my hair falling out, maybe the combination of creatine and heavy lifting raising the DHT level in my body contributed to the hair loss.

Originally posted by Bill:

Since the science of creatine has nothing to do with DHT, you are safe icon_wink.gif.

Just stay away from steroids...

Whereas steroids in itself won't necessarily cause hair loss, it can certainly expedite it for those who are genetically predisposed to Androgenetic Alopecia (MPB).

Bill

So, you re saying that DHT is the sole cause of hairloss, and that because creatine doesnt effect DHT levels, no hairloss can occur..?

What kinda 'roids "dont cause hairloss in itself..?" All of them..? Do initial/post (pre/post cycle) levels of Test (total and free) as well as E2 have any influence in loss..? What if one takes an AI (aromatase inhibitor)....?

What about IGF-1 levels..?

What is the function of steroid use that accelerates loss...?

Hi

I doubt CREATINE causes any sort of hairloss. Often on this site we hear all sorts of claims about this, that, or the other thing "causing hairloss".Hats,supplements,shampoos.. Personally, I did the same thing when my hair started falling, blaming it on everything but MPB ( I think it is called denial).. Not to say there are no exceptions to the rule but medically speaking, it is highly unlikely and if you stopped, the hair would grow back.

Steroids on the other hand may "speed up" the balding process if you are pre-disposed to it.. Let's face it, it increases your testostorone levels and DHT so if your hair is sensitive to DHT , you might be in trouble

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

yes, denial sure is something that can cause one to pin point something that may or may not be the cause of a problem. The thing is, no one else in my family has any balding issues on both my father's and mother's side. At worst, I've noticed that both of my grandpa's has a really high hairline at an old age, but no thinning as far as I can remember. It really makes me wonder why and what cause me to have MPB, especially starting at a younger age, when there's no similar patterns in either side of parents' family. Then it makes you look at your own diet and lifestyle at the time that MPB was showing its effect, and the only thing that I can really think of was the strenous exercise routine and supplements that I was going through towards my late-teens years. I was not on steroid, but takeing creatine on and off for an one year period. And looking back now, my hairloss seemed to have slowed down quite a bit ever since I've stopped working out religiously, so it makes it hard for me to not to put the blame on the creatine. Like I said before, creatine may not be the sole factor, but possibly the combination of creatine and heavy lifting that can cause ones testesterone that contributed to early MPB.

Hi Scoop

It doesnt matter if hairloss runs in your family.. My dad has a FULL head of hair and his brother is a N7..It can just around generations.. Go figure?? If you are saying your natural testostorone level is causing you to lose your hair then it basically means that you were predisposed to lose your hair anyway ( just happened faster)..It's not the test rather DHT which is a byproduct of it.. Some people are sensitive to DHT ( balding people) and some are not ( full head of hair) Keep in mind though, I totally understand as I went through the same process of searching for answers.. Heavy lifting does not cause hairloss and that's a fact.. It may be just when your hairloss is starting??

Superman, if the creatine caused your hairloss, than stopping would make it stop and regrow?

However guys, it does not hurt to stop taking the creatine.

Good luck, I hope you are right !

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Originally posted by Mrjb:

Steroids on the other hand may "speed up" the balding process if you are pre-disposed to it.. Let's face it, it increases your testostorone levels and DHT so if your hair is sensitive to DHT , you might be in trouble

The thing is that a bulking regimen where by you stive to gain 1lb+ per week with HEAVY compound lifting, little cardio, coupled with a high calorie high protein diet actually puts your body into a systematic anabolic state SIMILAR to the effects of steroid to a certain degree i.e. raising your testosterone to an ununsually high level.

I just want to DIFFERENTIATE between just going to the gym and lifting weights to get toned and healthy versus a program designed to bulk you up quickly with a lot of muscle mass. There is a big difference between the two. The former should be apart of any healthy lifestyle, but I think the latter needs to be looked at more carefully.

Maybe it is just a coincidence, but for me at least, I noticed heavy hairloss after a year of bulking - i.e. heavy lifting (I was squatting & deadlifting 315 and benching 225) and high calories and high excess protein diet, which I know wasn't 100% heathly - I was more concerned with bulking up.

Those of you who think that bulking does not accelerate hairloss, weren't you guys already initially a NW4plus anyway? So isn't it more difficult for you guys to notice the hairloss versus someone who was originally a NW2 or 3 when they started a bulking regimen?

I think this whole topic of whether a bulking NON-steroid regimen accelerates hair loss or not isn't FULLY studied and I strongly think there is some correlations. Any comments or thoughts?

RP

Your special program will not cause hairloss..Heavy lifting and a high calorie diet will not cause hairloss. High protein diets are still in question as far as if they are good for you or not ( lack of protein may affect yourhair)

Regarding your routine. There is no comparison to putting synthetic anobolic or angiogenic steroids in your body. You cannot even begin to compare any natural routine with doing drugs. I also have many friends who do roids ( or have done em) as well as brutal routines in the gym. There are plenty of bodybuilders with full heads of hair..

The bottom line is either your hair is predisposed to be affected by DHT or not.. If it is , you lose hair, if not you don't ..

RP, just talk to any coalition doctor on here or speak to a dermatologist and they will tell you the same. Also, look into many of the facts and myths of hairloss..

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

JOBI,

I agree with you that it will NOT CAUSE hairloss. I'm just saying it VERY likely ACCELERATED my hairloss since I'm genetically sensitive to DHT.

Just a question for you. How much do you squat or deadlift? How old are you?

Could be

Regardless, better to focus on solutions.

Propecia, Minoxidil and Nizoral

Not really into it now (no time).. In my day could squat 315 acouple times and bench about 285 or so

good luck

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

• 8 months later...

I turned 24 six months ago. I have always had thick hair, and never even thought about having thinning hair, until a friend of mine mentioned it 9 months ago. THen my hairdresser mentioned it, as well as my two brothers.

It's funny because this all seems to correspond exactly with the period when I started taking Muscle Milk protein, which has all sorts of random stuff in it which increases your natural growth hormone in your body. I'm guessing this also increases DHT and/or testosterone.

I have worked out hard for the last 4 years. I'm 6'3, 220lb. Over this period of time I have also taken creatine, both monohydrate and ethyl ester, off and on, but consistently. This could also perhaps haev played a role?

No one in my family has hair loss. I have three older brother, one who is 41, one who is 39, and one who is 26, none of which have hair loss. My dad is 64 and has thinning hair but he is in his mid 60s and it's thinning, not bald in the least bit. Also, my mom's brother has a full head of hair and her dad has a full head of hair. I know about the recessive hair loss gene, but what are the chances no one else has it and I do? I am the only one who really works out this hard and takes these supplements.

Could Musle Milk and/or creatine have done this?

I buzzed my hair about 16 months ago and my hair looked thick and full, even in the front area where it's thinning. Then I started taking muscle milk.

I stopped taking Muscle Milk about 5 weeks ago and stopped taking creatine this week after seeing a dermatologist (but forgetting to mention anything about muscle milk or creatine). Can anyone give me any advice?

I just started minoxidil 5% treatment a few days ago. I am wondering if I stopped using these supplements if my hair will start to grow back, since what I was putting in my body before was not natural but now it should be going back to normal?

Thanks,

T

I am also wondering if stopping creatine use would help to regrow the hair that was thinning? ANd working out does not cause baldness. I've read studies where working out lowers testosterone, plus if working out caused hair loss all athletes would be bald.

Originally posted by MrJobi:

Hi Scoop

It doesnt matter if hairloss runs in your family.. My dad has a FULL head of hair and his brother is a N7..It can just around generations.. Go figure?? If you are saying your natural testostorone level is causing you to lose your hair then it basically means that you were predisposed to lose your hair anyway ( just happened faster)..It's not the test rather DHT which is a byproduct of it.. Some people are sensitive to DHT ( balding people) and some are not ( full head of hair) Keep in mind though, I totally understand as I went through the same process of searching for answers.. Heavy lifting does not cause hairloss and that's a fact.. It may be just when your hairloss is starting??

Superman, if the creatine caused your hairloss, than stopping would make it stop and regrow?

However guys, it does not hurt to stop taking the creatine.

Good luck, I hope you are right !

kirra,

I have not heard any reports about creatine or any other natural work out products causing hair loss. I'm not familiar with "muscle milk".

I encourage you however to stay away from steroids as it is overall not good for the body. It can also increase testosterone and therefore potentially more DHT in the body which is responsible for genetic hair loss.

Steroids won't cause hair loss but it can possibly expedite it.

Bill

• 3 years later...

Hey This Is My True Experience About Creatine

I am 20 yrs old

I started working out 4 months ago when I was 100 kg

I worked out hard and lost 12 kg in about 3 months (Its True )

Then to further increase the intensity of workout and to have even more weight loss I decided to take Creatine supplements so I took Optimum Nutrition Creatine as directed on its Label

But I stopped it after 40 days as I experienced hair loss ( loss of about 100 hairs per day ) It started about 20-25 days after starting Creatine

Just now I have stopped taking it so I'll be posting effects of stopping Creatine on my hairs in 2 weeks

As for my weight I just gained 3 kg due to Creatine also suffered from mild diarrhea

I developed somewhat bloated appearance not the slim one I wanted

Everybody may not experience the exact same results like I did but I think a lot of extensive research must be done about Hair loss due to Creatine Supplements

So Its Best to Avoid It as no extensive research is done till date in this matter