Shaving & Cost

I am contemplating a procedure and plan to cosnult with Bernstein, Feller and True in NY.

For work reasons, I am concerned about the shaving of the recipient site issue. Do these surgeons require shaving and if not what would be a reasonable length of hair pre-op?

Also, would 10-15K be a ballpark cost for the procedure with Feller, True or Bernstein?

FYI,

Several months ago I consulted with Bosley and was infomred by the Consultant that I am a candidate for approx 2250 grafts (roughly 1250 frontal and 1000 crown grafts).

Thanks for any feedback!

I am contemplating a procedure and plan to cosnult with Bernstein, Feller and True in NY.

For work reasons, I am concerned about the shaving of the recipient site issue. Do these surgeons require shaving and if not what would be a reasonable length of hair pre-op?

Also, would 10-15K be a ballpark cost for the procedure with Feller, True or Bernstein?

FYI,

Several months ago I consulted with Bosley and was infomred by the Consultant that I am a candidate for approx 2250 grafts (roughly 1250 frontal and 1000 crown grafts).

Thanks for any feedback!

Hello there Carl24 and welcome to the boards,

one of the first responses is that people are gonna stern you away from bosley, they are a marketing company(not technically) who use advertising techniques to gather thier customers.

and besides that you picked many of the best ht doctors in the world in Feller, Bernstein and True.

i am also in the new york area and my two choices are Feller(gives you great value and is one of the best) or H&W(just cause i beleive they are the best and travel is an issue), but bernstein and True are also up there

about shaving the recipient area, the reasons doctors do it is because it only makes the procedure easier and alot better. we are talking about something that will stay with you forever so why not take out the 3-4 months out and wait for the hair to grow back

but there are doctors who dont require shaving, for a list on those doctors its better to wait for other responses or email the ht doctors yourself.

and for 10k-15k im sure your getting a whole hell lot of grafts.

for 10k youd prolly get about 4000 grafts and for 15k youd prolly get 6000 grafts.

ussually its 3$ a graft for the first 2000 grafts and they give a discount on each graft given after that.

hope i helped,

tisab

Tisab,

Thanks for the info; I really appreciate it!

I guess from your response that Feller requires shaving of the recipient site. Your point of optimal efficacy is well taken.

After reviewing this board, it became quite obvious to avoid Bosley.

Several physicians in Canada seem appealing (H & W as well as Robert Jones), however, I believe if I needed follow-up with any complications, I would prefer to see the surgeon. It appears that we have several excellent options in NY.

I would conider the Canada option if I felt that the quality of surgery warranted the trip.

I am unsure of the cost differential of these Canadian surgeons, but assume that they are in the ballpark of the US coalition MDs.

As far as cost, Feller's website states a fee of 7850 for 2000 grafts and about 9200 for 2500. This fee schedule is suject to availability. Perhaps, this is a standby fee or off peak scheduling time. Can you clarify if this is the case?

This forum provides a wealth of information for the novice and veteran hair transpant community. What a resource! THANKS AGAIN

No I wasn't looking for a travelers discount.

However, the fee schedule posted on Feller's website stated," The number of sessions per week that these rates are applicable are limited".

I was curious how limited and what is the regular fee schedule. I guess I can ask when I visit for a consult.

Carl- Glad to see you are doing your homework.

For most patients, I do not require the hair to be shaved in the recipient area, as I know the problems this creates in returning to work and life as usual. This may mean the procedure takes a bit longer, but for most of my patients, this is a worthwhile tradeoff.

One thing- are you 24 years old?

Sincerely,

Jeff Epstein, MD, FACS

Miami and NYC

www.foundhair.com

Hey Bill,

Maybe Dr. Epstein should have a lesson on posting? icon_smile.gif

I would have to agree with Spex and Dr. Hasson that it is more ideal to shave the recipient area, but many people just can't do it. Therefore, these people have to plan accordingly and expect that shockloss might be more of a factor. It is just a balancing act. I shaved a portion of my recipient area behind the hairline which allowed Dr. Shapiro to plant a little denser there and still gave me the option of covering it with frontal hair. Remember there are options. Different things will work for different people. Nothing should be cookie cutter.

NN

NN

Dr.Cole,1989. ??graftcount

Dr. Ron Shapiro. Aug., 2007

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

Carl,

You've received some excellent advice so far from our forum members and one of our coalition doctors.

Be dilligent in your research and choose a doctor that you are comfortable with based on viewing patient experiences and before/progress/after photos posted online.

Everyone,

The issue of "shaving" the recipient area is a hot debate on these forums. Personally I believe it is beneficial and provides an optimal environment for the surgery for the reasons defined by Dr. Hasson posted by Spex (and first Pat) above.

NN,

I have no idea what is causing Dr. Epstein's posts to come out that way. I just looked at his profile settings and don't see anything that could be causing this. I will dig a little deeper to see if I can find it.

Dr. Epstein,

I'm curious...at what point would you require shaving of the recipient area since "most" of your patients are not required to? It would be nice to have another quality HT physician give his insight on this to provide support for why shaving the recipient area is not necessary for an optimal result.

Also, if you could check out your profile in case I missed anything to see why your posts may be coming up this way.

Best Wishes,

Bill

Hi

I was exactly like you regarding unable to shave my head. I went to Dr. True and 3 HT's later , I have a nice NATURAL head of hair.. Today, he could no doubt do it in two sessions.. See a couple of docs and go with the one who you are comfortable with ( coalition docs that is)

15K will get you about 4000-6000 or so

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Thanks.

Did you consult with other surgeons in NY?

I know that True and Dorin have an office in Huntington and will most likely schedule a consult soon. Do you know much about Dorin?

Both are coalition members.

My only concern about True is that according to this site he may not be one the elite surgeons.

He is highly regarded but may not be as advanced in the latest techniques as a Feller, Wong, Shapiro or Epstein.

Any thoughts?

Carl,

My only concern about True is that according to this site he may not be one the elite surgeons.

It depends on how you define "elite" I suppose.

I believe Dr. True is among the best in this field. His techniques continue to improve and he truly does ultra refined follicular unit transplantation. There are recent photos posted from some of his patients on this forum worth checking out. Glock08 comes to mind.

Best wishes,

Bill

What about a compromise of cutting hair short but not shaved all the way? Would this make it easier for the surgeon and decrease shock loss?

I wonder what Dr.s Epstein or True believe since both do not require shaving?

Guess I will ask when I make an appt for a consult.

Barley

Dr. True is as advanced as any doc on here. He may get some slack because he is a bit more conservative but trust me, I would not have gone to him 3 times if his work was not superb.He is also quite humble so these days this is quite rare. I consider myself a very informed member regarding hair transplantation.

As far as shockloss, it really varies by person and sometimes depends on the session size. Taking Propecia prior can limit shockloss as well. Cutting the hair really has no bearing.

I would put my results up against anyone's.

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Shaving or not shaving the recipient area doesn't make one doctor superior to another.

I believe from what I have read that shaving the recipient area provides an optimal surgical environment especially in the case of transplanting hair in between native hair at higher densities.

But many hair restoration physicians who do not shave the recipient area still produce first-rate results.

Best wishes,

Bill