When should Propecia stop hair loss?

mr_xxxplosive

3 month - Reduction in the amount of shedding

6 month - may start noticing some improvements

Remember propecia only reduces 2/3 of DHT, the follicles are still being hit. The year thing is if you don't notice any help (i.e. growth/ slow down in hairloss) then it isn't effective for that individual.

mr_xxxplosive,

If your hairloss is due to MPB, (you need to observe the pattern and/or check with a medical professional) finasteride will retard hairloss.

Your hairloss due to MPB will NEVER stop. You need to understand that.

But with medication it may be retarded.

The physiological manifestation of the drugs Finasteride/Dutasteride will begin to be apparent after 3 months.

Reduction in "shedding" will occur during the first 3 months and thenceforth thickening may occur up to a two year mark.

take care...

Think of it as a ceiling fan and the clockwise/counter clockwise switch is finasteride. When you switch it while the fan's moving, it have to slow, then stop before reversing. The improvement can usually be seen starting around month 6 an continue improving(sometimes) up to the 2 yr mark. It can lose effectiveness after some years. For me, it was 4 yrs. Switched to avodart and never looked back.

Stopped dead in its tracks and regrew all hair from thinning due to propecia losing its effectiveness. propecia 1998-2002. Avodart 2002-present. No signs of losing effectiveness. Basically the thinning of the vertex I noticed in 1998 has been halted and been that way since 1998 with some thickening. One caveat is I do have seasonal shedding every year or two for a short time that makes the vertex look thin, but it could be the way my hair grows in different directions in the mid-vertex area and don't get me started with my double crown. But, it always grows back.

Look at my weblog, I'll update w/ a pic of my hair from the back on their also. I would of probably been a 5A if not for avodart. In the past, I pretty much only had HT work done in the frontal hairline area. The rest avodart has kept.

I read Avodart has 4.7% impotence and 3% decreased libido! You think if a man like my age (I'm 22) takes avodart the chance would be lower to have those side effects? I been taking Propecia 1mg for over 7 months with no side effects and no results lol. The only thing I remember was the first 4 days on Propecia I was very horny and that passed

And finally can Avodart give any other body effects like increased/decreased body hair, facial hair, ACNE, oily skin, etc.? Can it also make hair loss worse? Please enlighten me.

The only thing I remember was the first 4 days on Propecia I was very horny and that passed

If testosterone is gasoline, DHT is nitrous.

You were just going through "heat". It happens to all of us.

You think if a man like my age (I'm 22) takes avodart the chance would be lower to have those side effects?

Possibly. If the sample boundaries were between 21 to 45, should be outside of the first standard deviation.

And finally can Avodart give any other body effects like increased/decreased body hair, facial hair, ACNE, oily skin, etc.? Can it also make hair loss worse? Please enlighten me.

Any side effects experienced with finasteride will be magnified by dutasteride. You alone would know the side-effects that were particular to you. You should experience shedding again, if you switch from finasteride to dutasteride; so it may look worse for the first 3-6 months.

I hope that enlightens you some.

I'll rely on the other members to further enlighten you, OR enlighten/correct me.

take care...

You know I keep hearing this shedding shedding shedding! I didn't get that at all being on Propecia for over 7 months, I do however shed less hairs in the shower and during styling the past 3 months or so but then again my hair looks about the same since starting Propecia.