Loosing existing hair in Transplanted Area

About 1 1/2 weeks after having 2,000 grafts done I began to notice substantial loss of the existing hair on the top of my head. I am panicking, it seems that everytime I wash my hair or comb it, I loose more and it is very noticeable. When does this stop? I am 3 1/2 weeks post HT and I can still see most of the grafted hairs. Has anyone else lost alot of their pre-existing hair in the transplant area?

About 1 1/2 weeks after having 2,000 grafts done I began to notice substantial loss of the existing hair on the top of my head. I am panicking, it seems that everytime I wash my hair or comb it, I loose more and it is very noticeable. When does this stop? I am 3 1/2 weeks post HT and I can still see most of the grafted hairs. Has anyone else lost alot of their pre-existing hair in the transplant area?

Shock loss is pretty common. Around the 2 month point, you'll be at your worst. It's all part of the process.

2700 Total Grafts w/ Keene 9/28/05

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

1000 Total Grafts w/Keene 2/08/07

Mostly combined FU's for 2600+ hairs

My Photo Album

See me at Dr. Keene's Gallery

Hi

Yup, sounds like normal shock loss. I specifically had only 1400plus each procedure (1417 & 1476) to avoid this. My doctor said this would allow this native hair to remain unaffected as the larger procedures tend to cause shock to the areas ( I'm sure it depends on whether your doing the whole head or just an area). He was right, I didn't have any shockloss and was able to conceal both procedures. Hang on though, your results will be quicker than mine as your surgery was larger! I guess it's a trade off

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Island Girl -

Severe shockloss is more common in female patients than male patients. I think there's nothing to panic about. But if it helps, consult with few doctors for their opinion. Most doctors will give their opinion even though they did not perform on you.

KG

Thanks to everyone who replied to my question about loosing your EXISTING hair in the transplant area on top. It's 4 weeks post transplant for me now, and I still can see almost all of the grafts, however I've lost a decent amount of the existing hair and it's always WORSE for a woman. I'm praying to the Hair Gods that it all comes back along with the transplated hair!

ethebuilder,

The transplanted hair doesnt seem to be growing yet, but at 1 month after the transplant, I feel lucky just to be able to SEE most of them still there! Now if my

pre-existing hair in the transplanted area would stop falling out and come back, I'd really be a happy camper!

Hi Island girl and welcome to the forums, and more importantly, welcome to the real hair club. I have seen your postings on here before, but I've sort of been in and out, and really haven't posted that much. But again, I say welcome!

I, like everyone else, want to encourage you and reinforce that what you are experiencingt is normal. It's definately not desired, and we all hope that this temporary shockloss didn't happen, but for most people, it does. Take a look at both my HTs in the pic section (links under ny name on the left), and you'll see I posted a few pics showing the shockloss. I'd say about 6-7 weeks was my worst point, and by 2 months I noticed very little hairs starting to pop through...I didn't notice anything really significant in hair growth until month 4 and 5, however...but I'd say between month 3 and 4, there was the most progress in terms of new growth. But I'm at 6.5 months right now, and each month, it's slowly getting thicker and fuller...so keep the faith. It's a hard road, but in the end, you'll be thankful.

I apologize if you have already posted this, but who was your doc and how many grafts did you get? did you or are you willing to post photos in the photos section? We'd all love to see your progress. Female patients are more of a rarity around here, but definately appreciated and respected. I admire your courage to procede with this procedure, stay strong...your in the hardest part now...but in about 5 months, you'll be singing with joy!

Bill

Bill,

Thank you a million times over for your encouraging words! I have not posted any pictures yet. I had exactly 2,017 grafts done in a 6 hour time period. I had one of the Doctors at NuHart Clinic in King of Prussia, Pa. It's exactly 4 weeks today since my HT and it actually looks like most of the grafts are still visible and actually have grown a very small amount. I only hope that the pre-existing hair that came out following the transplant area comes back soon!

Island Girl,

You are welcome for the encouraging words. It's a tough ride in the beginning, but rest assured, things will slowly improve, and at about the 6 month mark, you will see significant differences from where you are. check out the many posts that people have posted about pos op blues if you will...everyone experiences what you are experiencing, and it's a tough emotional and scary situation...but there is light at the end of the tunnel...rest assured! You are not alone in this journey.

King of Prussia PA? That's like right around the corner from my house. You live in the area or did you travel to get here? I never heard of the clinic, but I'd love to see pictures, before/after if you are willing to post some in the photos section. Photos can be taken where you don't show your face...and if you need help with that, either I, or I'm sure Pat or whoever else is moderating the forum (I'm not a moderator) would be able to help blank out the face so that is not shown. But we'd all be interested in your progress and how you are coming along. Encouragement has helped me significantly as I've posted photos month to month.

Best of wishes to you!

Bill

This may not be something you are interested in, but many of our patients (females in particular), like to use Toppik. It is a coverup and will not help with hair loss or growth. It does not hurt the new grafts either and may give you some relief from trying to cover the thin areas.

Ailene Russell, NCMA

Dr. Jerry Cooley's personal assistant and clinical supervisor for Carolina Dermatology Haircenter. My postings are my own opinion and may not reflect Dr. Cooley's opinion on any subject discussed.

Dr. Jerry Cooley is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Ailene,

I'm already using the Toppik. I love it! I just wish the hair I've lost in both the Transplanted area and the donor area would begin to come back. I'm panicking but I am only 5 weeks post transplant so I guess I just have to be patient... But it's hard!

I.G.

Bill,

First of all, God bless you for your kind words. It made me feel so much better after reading your post. I live about an hour north of Philadelphia, so the travel part wasnt too bad for me. I took a couple pictures before I had the transplant done, however since I am going through what I perceive to be the worst part right now, I'm not really up for putting a current pic of me online right now. Maybe I will post them at a later date, when things are looking up a little for me. I'm certainly not "bald" on top, just very thin at the moment. I am praying to the Hair Gods every night.... :-)

• Administrators

Island Girl,

Shock fall out in both men and women has become less common in recent years as patients who choose the very best surgeons get an ultra refined surgery that is minimally invasive.

But I doubt very much that NuHart is using any such refined or minimally invasive techniques. It is critical when getting a hair transplant, especially into areas with pre-existing hair, to go to only a top notch clinic where the surgeon takes the time and care to wear high powered loops which enable them to visualize even the very fine pre-existing hairs so that they can make incisions around them.

One of the reasons that the high volume clinics generate so much heavy shock fallout, among many other problems, is that the surgeon is in such a hurry to make the incisions that they often don't wear magnifying loops or even look to avoid severing pre-existing follicles. They also often use relatively big blades which create much more vascular trauma, while making it easier to place the grafts in bigger incisions.

I strongly suggest that you click on the "Find" button on this forum and search for the many references to Nuhart.

You may be troubled by what you read (hopefully it will not increase your fall out) but it is important that you know the truth for future reference.

Sorry to add to your concerns. But I'd be derelict if I didn't point this out.

Best wishes, Pat

Never Forget - It's what radiates from within, not from your skin, that really matters!

My Hair Loss Blog

Sharing is what keeps this community vital. Please join in. To learn how I restored my hair and started this community, click here.

Follow our Community on Twitter.

Pat,

Thank you for replying to my post. I must admit, I really didnt do alot of research first before choosing NuHart. I had gone down to Bosley in Philadelphia a year or so ago but was not impressed with them at all. I had called MHR but they turned out to be very pushy and I decided to hold off. I had seen a commercial on tv one night for NuHart and was impressed and was also impressed at what I learned when I went there for my Consultation. They did 2000 grafts in a 6 hour procedure. The only GOOD thing so far is that I can still see MOST of the grafts after 6 weeks. The BAD thing is that I have lost a considerable amount of pre-existing hair not only in my crown area, but also above and to the rear of my right ear. There is a big area about 2 inches in diameter that I have NO HAIR there whatsoever. Everyone tells me this is only temporary and it will grow back. IT BETTER. I did not pay them $5,000 to have a permanent huge bald spot on my head. All I can say is thank goodness for wigs. I realize that this is about the worst time after Hair Transplants and I am trying to be patient. Thanks again!

• Administrators

Island Girl,

I think you are being a real trooper. I think time is on your side and that with time you will regain your hair and then some.

Keep your chin up and your hair combed down for now.

Best wishes, Pat

Never Forget - It's what radiates from within, not from your skin, that really matters!

My Hair Loss Blog

Sharing is what keeps this community vital. Please join in. To learn how I restored my hair and started this community, click here.

Follow our Community on Twitter.

Island Girl,

Unfortunately, I don't know anything about Nuhart, but I can tell you, that for every bad experience at even some of the clinics everybody has had experiences with, there have been good experiences. Try not to stress right now about what you can and can't fix. Do some research on the clinic and see what others have posted. But don't assume just because others have had bad experiences that you are guaranteed the same bad experience. I'm not trying to minimize realities that are out there, but I am trying to give you encouragement that you might keep your chin up and hope for the best. IF things don't go well for you, then there are actions you can take, and there are a number of top notch surgeons who could resolve the problem, IF, and only IF there is one.

At this point in the game, patience is your best weapon...it's your only weapon. My encouagement to you is, my latest physician, Dr. True is a recommended surgeon on this forum, however, I also had significant shockloss, and was told they use minimally invasive techniques. But for me, the shockloss hair DID grow back. There is such things as temporary shockloss and permanent shockloss. The bad news is, at this point in the game, you don't really know which is which, however, as I've said...patience is the key. In the meantime, do some research, but don't panic, don't stress. What is done is done, and let's hope and pray that things turn out well, despite other's bad experiences.

I did just say a prayer for you as well that God would watch over you, and comfort you and give you patience, and that all would grow in as it should. Keep calm, keep patient...and do some research. We are all pulling for you here on this forum.

Keep us posted ok?

Bill

Dear Islandgirl--I am also a woman and had a ht on Jan 2 of this year. I had 1600 fut's around my hairline and can hide it with my hair--although i wear hats when I know the wind is going to blow! I was self conscious about this when i lost my hair and, of course, still feel that way. I can feel hair coming in but i have a small totally bald spot left that I hope fills in. I would like someone to tell me how to get rid of the redness that still exists in the transplanted area--how long does that take to go away?

• 1 year later...

ml,

I live in Allentown, PA so I went to Lynn's Wig Boutique in Bethlehem, PA. She carries all good quality wigs and hairpieces and has a private room in the back where you can try them on without embarrassment of anyone else watching. I bought 2 "Noreiko" wigs from the shop, one shorter and one a bit longer. Both had blonde hair with dark roots and were VERY believable. NO ONE, and I mean no one thought that they were wigs. I even had Catherine, the owner thin them out for me. (She is a licensed beautician as well) Even people in my church thought that I had gone to a new hairdresser who did something "different" to my hair and I never had so many compliments on my "hair". I told my husband that there would be alot of disappointed people when I didn't have to wear the wig anymore! I had to wear it for 6 months so I figured that I might as well get a good quality wig. I think I paid about $350 for one and $300 for the other. Good luck and keep me posted. I would be happy to talk to you anytime about my HT.