Hair Cut after Surgery - Timing & Questions

I'm coming up on one month post-op and that's when I have my hair cut scheduled as it's getting a little long and in need of a clean-up.

My question after reading the excellent feedback on when one should work out after a HT is when is it safe to get a hair cut after a HT?

And are there any steps I should take before / during / after or anything I should be careful of?

I plan on washing my hair myself first at home as they tend to be a little 'aggressive' when washing / massaging.

I also am going to ask for them to keep it a touch longer in the back & sides to give the scar time to heal and conceal itself.

Any other tips or thoughts on this topic?

Thanks for your help!

1662 with Dr. Ron Shapiro - Spring 2006

1105 with Dr. Ron Shapiro - Fall 2009

M&M Weblog

At the advice from my Doc... Your okay to get a haircut 3 weeks post op. Good idea washing it yourself, first. No other advice really, you're good to go. However, if your scar is tender still you may ask them to be careful combing through your hair.

If woman don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy -Steve Smith 'The Red Green Show'

M&M,

I let the stylist know about the surgery so she would be gentle in the donor and recipient areas (approx. 4-5 weeks post op). The thing that got me was not taking into to account the shaving/cutting the doctor did in the donor area before the strip removal.

While you couldn't see the scar, you could see a "line" that mirrored the scar as the newly cut hair and previously trimmed hair lengths did not match. The doctor's cut was shorter and my pre-haircut longer hair covered it up. The stylist wasn't the best (obviously) and I have since found someone else who is in tune with my needs and does an excellent job.

Regards,

Mike

3,200 on 1/4/06 Dr. Cooley

I haven't had a hair cut for 2 years. I let it grow out then I buzz it down myself and repeat. I'm too ashamed to get a haircut, especially now, with the strange-looking transplanted hair coming in against the much thicker but thinning native hair.

I wear hats all the time in public. Hopefully in another 3-4 months, the hat will come off and Dermmatch will go on, and then I'll have one more procedure next Spring and be done with this damn headache.

1,614 with Dr. Pistone on 2/3/06 in Marlton, NJ.

As long as the moon shall rise

As long as the rivers flow

As long as the sun shall shine

And the grass will grow

Let me listen, I will learn to speak

The old language

Yes, I yearn to bathe in blue skies

And fall apart from the world of machines

Regain my feet and my pounding heart

My Hair Loss Weblog

Two years is approximately 12 inches of hair. That's a long time to grow it out and then buzz it! I know that if I grew my hair for two years, I wouldn't want to cut it after all that time!

M&M, I'd agree with zerro that a month is long enough to wait. I waited about 7 weeks. My stylist is in on my procedure, so I just told her when I went in that things still felt a little tender and to proceed with a light hand. She did a great job. I think good communication is the key. Good luck!

I'm not sure why it wouldn't be safe to get a haircut after the grafts were seated, around the 10 day - 2 week mark.

I've cut my own hair for years. After the hair from HT #2 gets thick enough, I may go back to a hair stylist. Unfortunately, for years now its been so thin on top that I resorted to the "smoke and mirror" method of clipping the sides and back short to make the top stand out.

I guess if you're worried about it being a little painful, or someone uncovering the scar, you might want to wait a couple of months. As far as it being "safe"........I think you could go ahead after the 2 week mark. I cut mine at the 10 day mark after HT #2 to blend the sides and back in with the shaved top.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

That's what I love about this site - immediate, honest and real feedback! Thanks everyone!

I suppose my only concern now is someone uncovering the scar (and the strange trimming to my hairline!!). I'm not sure I know how to explain it, but at least I will look neat and tidy again.

1662 with Dr. Ron Shapiro - Spring 2006

1105 with Dr. Ron Shapiro - Fall 2009

M&M Weblog

I was getting my hair cut about 2 weeks after a procedure. I told the girl who was cutting my hair that I had just had some work done and to just be careful. Shortly after telling her, she dropped the water nozzle (she was washing my hair before the cut) onto my head - hitting the recipient area (which was still tender). I never went back to her after that.

My Dr. advised me to wait 3-4 weeks. The donor scar was still obvious so I went to a different barber and told him I had some work done and to take care around the donor site. I had a #4 to blend it in. I went back to the same barber a month later. After month 3 I went to my normal barber who didnt notice a thing.