Minimizing the donor scar

Is there anything that I can do to minimize a donor scar after a hair transplant procedure? I am 5 days post-op and the doctor recommended vitamin E oil on the recipient area starting today but did not mention putting it in the donor area. Should I put it there as well or will it effect the staples somehow?

Is there anything that I can do to minimize a donor scar after a hair transplant procedure? I am 5 days post-op and the doctor recommended vitamin E oil on the recipient area starting today but did not mention putting it in the donor area. Should I put it there as well or will it effect the staples somehow?

I had surgery with Dr Rahal in Dec.2008 (16 weeks ago). He told me it was a good idea to apply the aloe vera. Cut off a piece, rince off the gooey stuff and apply the pulp. I first thought that I had to apply the sticky stuff but after doing some research on the internet, I realised that you have to use the pulp...

Don't put on vitamin E and other scar creams until after the staples or sutures are out. Then ask your doc what he/she prefers. It seems like all of us have our own strong feelings on this matter.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

I think it did...but how do I compare? I feel it helped alleviate the itchiness which was really bad in the first 2 months...but as Dr. Lindsey said...: Do NOT put anything on the donor area until the sutures are out...and also, stick with the vitamin E ONLY on the recipient area until the sutures are out. Once thy're out, you'll feel so much better!

I stopped using the aloe vera after 2 months because it was pretty messy as my native hair had grown to 1 1/2 inches.

When I had pimples at around the 3 month mark (which I I was told was a good sign), I used witch hazel to prevent infection after I applied hot compresses to pop them.

Good luck...and be patient...the wait can seem forever..

Like dr. Lindsey said, non only you should not put anything on the scar until the sutures are out (risk of infection), I suggest not to anything at all. There is not a single product out there proven to help with the scar, either to speed up healing or reduce scar stretch. Just time can help with the healing.

I am not a doctor. The opinions and comments are of my own.

HT with Dr. Cooley on Nov 20, 2008

2097 grafts, 3957 hairs

Proscar, 1.25 mg daily, skip the 5th day, started Nov 2007

My Hair Loss Blog - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

There is not a single product out there proven to help with the scar, either to speed up healing or reduce scar stretch.

I disagree. I think maderma and aloe vera can help if you use it religously for 3 months after the procedure. I went to a hack of a doctor but i've been told my scar looks good "as if a scar can look good" and I used both products