Telling others that you've had a ht

YoungGuy

What's the general procedure here - did you tell people (friends, family, coworkers) that you did it? I see some who have, and some who go to some lengths to hide the fact.

I actually think that it's a good thing to let everyone know. My opinion is that once you've had the surgery, it's tough enough on you as it is, between worrying about whether it will take, healing and waiting for growth. No need to add to that worry about being discovered.

I was really surprised at the amount of emotional support folks gave me. Matter of fact, once I made the appointment and let folks know what I was planning, a friend of mine decided to do it as well! Plus if everyone knows, you can ditch the baseball cap way earlier without worrying about looking silly since most everyone you interact with is in the know already.

Speaking of baseball caps. Boy, once the hair grows out I will take all my baseball caps, then buy a few more, and I'll burn them in a ritualistic way while chanting something weird. It's a closure thing icon_wink.gif

What's the general procedure here - did you tell people (friends, family, coworkers) that you did it? I see some who have, and some who go to some lengths to hide the fact.

I actually think that it's a good thing to let everyone know. My opinion is that once you've had the surgery, it's tough enough on you as it is, between worrying about whether it will take, healing and waiting for growth. No need to add to that worry about being discovered.

I was really surprised at the amount of emotional support folks gave me. Matter of fact, once I made the appointment and let folks know what I was planning, a friend of mine decided to do it as well! Plus if everyone knows, you can ditch the baseball cap way earlier without worrying about looking silly since most everyone you interact with is in the know already.

Speaking of baseball caps. Boy, once the hair grows out I will take all my baseball caps, then buy a few more, and I'll burn them in a ritualistic way while chanting something weird. It's a closure thing icon_wink.gif

Good For You YoungGuy!!!!!!!

Aside from the occasional jokester, people seem to genuinely be interested and amazed that I have had a couple of HT's.

I say tell everyone you want to.

It makes things so much easier, in addition to having other fellow balding brothers ask questions, etc...

Use a SLOW BURNING fire with the hats OK?

Your gonna want to enjoy that a bit icon_biggrin.gif

Later,

J

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Youngguy,

I agree...tell who you are comfortable with. I have only told a few people, but I suspect once everything grows in I'll start telling people just to see their reaction icon_wink.gif. I wouldn't go out of my way to tell strangers or anything...but I'll probably start telling more people I know.

I felt so good this morning...I woke up and looked in the mirror and things just felt more bristly and looked thicker than it has. Of course, once I showered and had more lights on it...I still have a long way to go...darn :P

Bill

you know, i had been using a hiar piece for 10 yrs, just the frontal part and eventhough my family new about it, my brothers always gave me a hard time about it, and when they would blurt it out, like hey my brother has a hair piece i would feel uncombfortable and get pissed , i would say damn, you don[t have to tell the whole world , and it looked good too, hell no one knew i had one, till my damn brother, anyway now that they know that i have a HT, its different i was actully excited to tell them, and i have even told some of my friends who didnt even know i had a hair peice , i said, hey im going under the knife , for what, i would say, hair transplant and they would go like what,, you have hair piece? and they would be cool with it, it will finally be my own hiar, and i really don't feel bad telling people i have a ht looking forward in telling more lol,,

I'm telling people on a need to know basis. Select friends and family only. There are too many people out there that are jealous, rude or have other problems that are more than willing to put people down for any reason they can think of. Why give them an opportunity?

I havent told a soul!

I just keep on welcoming the " I like your new haircut " compliments..

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

I also...

Have not told anyone.

The only one that knows is my girl, and thats because I was in her care for transportation and recovery icon_smile.gif

I will tell people about the Propecia when they start asking... my exception will be if I might be speaking with someone interested in a HT.

I'm sure eventually friends and family will figure it out. icon_wink.gif

Personal choice..............do what you're comfortable with. I've only told family and a few close friends. I suspect it probably wouldn't make a difference if I told co-workers or anyone else, I'd just rather keep it to myself.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

• 2 weeks later...

Like many of the others have commented, it's personal choice, really--whatever you are most comfortable with.

I can speak only to my own experience, of course.

I underwent my first HT three years ago. (I've had two more since.) The day I had the surgery, I tossed away the hairpieces I'd worn for twenty years (not the same ones, of course LOL) and never looked back.

I made no secret of the fact that I had undergone a hair transplant--I clearly told everyone at work why I was taking two weeks off. I decided that "in for a penny, in for a pound" was the way to go.

I have to confess to a certain bit of trepidation that first day I walked into work after having the HT. (I was a Norwood VI and, of course, all of the new hairs had shed.) But I did not hear a single negative comment. In fact, I heard some positive ones from some who congratulated me on my boldness.

Since then, while I don't advertise my HT's, I make no secret of them, either. And to anyone who expresses interest, I'm glad to discuss it. One thing I've noticed is that many folks still persist in holding onto the old "hair plugs" concept, and it's good to dispel that outdated thinking.

Naturally, the bald guys are the ones who show the most interest, and here too, I have a chance to educate. One particular co-worker is worse off than I was--he's a definite Norwood VII--and is greatly interested in HT possibilities. Naturally, he needs to understand what is realistic for his degree of baldness (He's not going to look like Elvis, no matter how many HT's he gets) and how the procedure works and the costs--all of it.

And that leads to one of the more satisfying benefits of "going public" with an HT: it's an opportunity to educate people, not only about the modern level of hair-replacement surgery, but to be able to steer them away from the hair mills, like Bosley and MHR.

Since my hair has grown in, I've gotten plenty of compliments, which has been morale-boosting. (An HT patient tends to be more critical about his results than objective on-lookers.) The first time I heard a co-worker mention my new growth (after my first HT, which was barely the first step), she was complimentary, and I thanked her for being the only one to notice. She told me that, indeed, everyone did notice--she was just the first one to say anything.

Of course, that was my experience. And since the second HT provided even more improvement (not quite enough for me--I still have that big honkin' balding spot in back--but nicely done in front and on top, especially with the aid of Dermatch), the whole thing is well received by my circle of friends and co-workers. Your situation sounds very similar to mine, and I'm glad to hear that.

Objectively, I feel that taking the tack of not actively talking about your HT, but being frank about it, if asked, is the least burdensome way to go.

Hope this helps.

Cool

I will go to my grave with my secret! Haha.. Won't even tell my Fiance'

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!