finnari,

Keep in mind that everyone's tolerance for pain is different...however, the most pain I felt during the surgery was when the anesthetic was being injected. You will feel some slight to moderate pinching...for a second or so per injection. Other than that...you'll feel pressure, but no pain. The doctor will check the area before removing the donor or making recipient sites. Just be honest as to whether or not you feel anything icon_wink.gif

Bill

Hi finnari,

I just received my procedure with Dr. Shapiro and team yesterday.(may 7)

I think the worst part is the anticipation.

Next, like Bill mentioned the needles. I had about half a dozen or so in the donor area and the same in the recipient area but they even used a vibrator tool to minimize the discomfort there.

The only other part worth mentioning is the velcro and crunching sounds made when the donor strip is removed. No pain, just pulling and tugging and crunch sounds,

I have to comment, Dr. Shaprio and team were very professional and total class acts.

I would definitely go through the procedure again if needed.

So, if pain is your concern, (as it was certainly a concern for me) it's no where as bad as your imagination will make it.

It's day two post operation and as i type this from my hotel room, I am in very little discomfort and that;s without any pain medication.

all the best..

clife8

p.s will post some before and afters shortly..

Finnari, I am 5 days post op with Dr. Alexander in Phoenix. The procedure itself is not really painful. Other aspects can be challenging like keeping your head perfectly still. I was fine with the needles. I expected a lot worse...

Otherwise the Doc & I joked it's like a day at the spa! icon_smile.gif

Hi

I agree with the other . Here is my spin

- injection needles :stings but nothing big

- Post op donor area : sore and tight

- recepiant area: a bit itchy

Overall, it's an inconvenience more than anything but well worth it in my mind

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

There were two occasions during my procedure with Dr. Cooley where I felt pain:

1. When he sticks that huge needle into my right arm to extract blood in order to perform blood tests

2. When he sliced my donor scalp open, I felt a sharp sting and a chilly sensation. However, the anesthetic was applied at the same time, so the pain probably lasted no more than 30 seconds before I felt completely numb

Surgery itself doesn't hurt a bit. Yeah, the needle stings a little when anesthetic is being injected but it's really nothing. Like a mosquito bite.

For me, the sucky part were the first few days post-op but you get used to it. A little pain never killed anyone icon_wink.gif

I'm with ya, Rhodeman......

The pain in my wallet was far worse than any I experienced in the chair icon_biggrin.gif!

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Guest wanthairs

Hey Finnari.....

I am 9 days post op with Jeff Epstein (2900 grfts Norwood 6)....Probably the 1st of three procedures. I have had little or no pain at all, during or after. I think the most painful part is wondering how long its going to take to look "normal again"( i guess about 6 months)..........

HAs anyone out there had a negative experience with Jeff Epstein ??? Please answer....On the whole Mine was okay....but far too early to tell if Ill end up looking like a moron from outer space.

hey Wanthairs,

If you are referring to Dr.Jeffrey Epstein of Miami...he is one of the best cosmetic surgeons in the USA....so rest easy you will not look like you are from mars.

Pain,

Honestly for me up till day 8 life sucked big time, by day 14 the staples were out and I felt like a million bucks...still looked like an ass clown (but that soon changed).

If I could go back I would sleep in a lazy boy 75/90degree angle to help get back to normal faster.

wanthairs,

I agree with bayscholoar...Dr. Jeffrey Epstein is an excellent surgeon. Unfortunately, however, I could not answer if anyone had a bad experience with him. You might want to use the "find" feature of this forum and do a search for former patients of his to view their history. Dr. Jeffrey Epstein, however, does have an excellent track record.

Of course, being 9 days post op, doing the research now isn't going to make a difference regarding your surgery...but hopefully it will give you some peace of mind if you need it icon_wink.gif

Bill