New to the forum, could use a little help here. :)

I would just like to see what you all think about my current hair loss. I am a 22 year old college student and have been losing hair since about 17 years of age.

Do you all think it's worth going for it given my current specifications? How many grafts do you think I would need (just an estimation). Does anyone have a similar recession that has had the procedure done that I could look at?

Thanks for your replies!!

9791064162_4DDECBC5A15AC30879169BD010B5B7F2.JPG.thumb 8791064162_654C641C6BF116BDDA8F87689B363A62.JPG.thumb 7791064162_5039CDD075CE6DC5BAC03F4BE6CCD2FE.JPG.thumb 6791064162_2409ADF6E0B866E5A345B62C0A2F5CE7.JPG.thumb 5791064162_B8CEA2BCA7D98EF476099981FF21F60F.JPG.thumb 1891064162_4860B85CD74A309A249379AC9B8E9EC1.JPG.thumb

I would just like to see what you all think about my current hair loss. I am a 22 year old college student and have been losing hair since about 17 years of age.

Do you all think it's worth going for it given my current specifications? How many grafts do you think I would need (just an estimation). Does anyone have a similar recession that has had the procedure done that I could look at?

9791064162_4DDECBC5A15AC30879169BD010B5B7F2.JPG.thumb 8791064162_654C641C6BF116BDDA8F87689B363A62.JPG.thumb 7791064162_5039CDD075CE6DC5BAC03F4BE6CCD2FE.JPG.thumb 6791064162_2409ADF6E0B866E5A345B62C0A2F5CE7.JPG.thumb 5791064162_B8CEA2BCA7D98EF476099981FF21F60F.JPG.thumb 1891064162_4860B85CD74A309A249379AC9B8E9EC1.JPG.thumb

You're about my age (I'm 21) but considerably further along in the balding process. I'd say that you'd want to start near the mid-to crown area going for maximum coverage. I'd check out Hasson & Wong if I were you and see about getting a mega session of 3,000+ follicular units. At your point, I wouldn't even mess with Propecia, but I'm not sure what others will say about that.

You are a Norwood-6 or 7 and I'd definitely say that H&W have the best record with those types. Get as much done per session as you can, with an open playing field like that - it'd be ridiculous to cut your head for anything less than 3,000 grafts (if you could get 5,000 at once that'd be awesome), I think.

1,614 with Dr. Pistone on 2/3/06 in Marlton, NJ.

As long as the moon shall rise

As long as the rivers flow

As long as the sun shall shine

And the grass will grow

Let me listen, I will learn to speak

The old language

Yes, I yearn to bathe in blue skies

And fall apart from the world of machines

Regain my feet and my pounding heart

My Hair Loss Weblog

Originally posted by Relavare22:

How much coverage would I be expecting with 5,000 grafts?

Whew, I'd say a lot. Let me show you with a drawing...

coverage.jpg In the area I have circled in, I'd think that with 5,000 you would have pretty good to excellent density, depending on your hair's characteristics. It's only an ameteur guess, of course.

And the grass will grow

The old language

My Hair Loss Weblog

Wow! So for full coverage, my expectations would be high. Would 8,000 or so grafts be a fair assessment? Thanks for taking the time to help me gain a better understanding. I've been lost. Haha.

I'd say 8,000 grafts, if placed right could give you a pretty good look. You'd have to go to a top clinic though. Keep researching.

And the grass will grow

The old language

My Hair Loss Weblog

The problem is not what you need, it's how many grafts you could get. At your age, with the current state of affairs, you have to assume that you will go to a full 7 (see http://images.google.com/images?sourceid=navclient&ie=U...&q=steve%20ballmer), so you have to work from there. Transplanting hair that could, or most likely will fall 5-6 years from now will only make you look much worse. Maybe you can get away with using body hair on the crown and near it to save the normal for the hairline. With what I've read, the jury is still out of BHT though.

Finally, now you can shave your head, however, once you get the scar you will not be able to do so. Once you go the HT route you cannot go back to shaving, regardless of what tenchnique the doctor uses, the scar will be seen with a shaved head or a #1-2.

Go see a few doctors and see what coverage they can get for you, and decide whether that is better than a shaved head.

Unfortunately it seems that no one is stating the obvious here. At 22 with balding that progressive you can very well end up a NW7 in which case you would not be a candidate for a HT. 8000 grafts is very rare, the best that most people can hope for is between 5000 - 6000 grafts. With this in mind the best you can hope for is thinning coverage. Also after a HT you will not be able to shave your head without the scar being visible, and generally a shaved head looks better than a thinning head. If I were you I would take advantage of the free consults and get an expert opinion with one of the ethical doctors in the coalition. Whatever you do dont go to unethical doctors and shop around till you find someone that will tell you what you want to hear.

Like john_in_NC mentioned BHT may be your best bet for the future, though at this time it is considered very experimental.

I dont want to the bearer of bad news but you need to have realistic expectations with your level of hairloss at such a young age as you could regret having a HT in the future, which would be worse than having no HT at all.

1344 grafts with Ron Shapiro - June 2006

I would like to thank you all for the information!! I don't mind the shaved head look, but was always curious about whether or not I was even a good candidate for HT. With more knowledge i'll wait until college is over for a consultation. Good luck everyone!!

I think this thread is good

The knee jerk reaction tends to be MEGASESSIONS. In this case he has so many other factors involved..

-Is he willing to have a huge scar so he cannot shave his head in the future?

-Is it possible to get 8000 grafts down the road?

-What about future loss, current hair quality & scalp laxity?

-Is he on Propecia?

This guy is soo young I wouldn't touch him if I was a doc , I would think twice to promise him too much..

This kids need to be careful and get valid advice

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Mrjb, I've never taken any supplements that are in association with my hair loss. I have concluded that it isn't a very good idea for me to even get a consultation until some technological advances in HT. Hopefully my pics and my post can be used as an example to people who have a similar hairline. It's time for me to gain some color and shape. I'll have to suck it up and accept the shiny head for a while icon_smile.gif.

well done Relavare, u did ur homework, sought advice and got some good advice from some of the best posters here. your decision to wait and see whats available for you in the future is well thought out and a mature intelligent reaction.

HT2 2570 grafts Dr Feller

HT 2350 grafts Dr Epstein

Finax 1mg per day

nizoral 2% 3/week

MSM 3000 mg / day

TOTAL GRAFTS 4920

http://hair-restoration-info.com/eve/forums?a=albumtopic&TOPIC_OID=6751014913&f=2566060861

Cheers Relavare

I agree totally. My reference was to the earlier comments suggesting Megasessions and immediate hair transplantion without taking into account your situation especially your age. You are doing the right thing although you may want to consider Propecia IF you are concerned with future hairloss and the possibility of a HT in the next couple years. Our cloning and similar technologies have possibilities BUT we still cannot regrow back lost hair on a large scale. What Propecia can do is stop the loss and have some minimal regrowth .. This would mean less area to cover..

good luck

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Hey Relavare22, I hope you will stick with the forum. This is one of the best resources I've found on the net. It's hard to find so many knowledgable and, more importantly in some cases, objective people anywhere!