Saving Hair that falls out

Hi,

I'm fairly new to the hairloss community. I've been using dutastaride for 2 years and I think its slowed down my hairloss but I can clearly see that I have about half the hair I had 4 years ago.

Anyway, I'm looking at other options like surgery etc... and have read about the grafting option but have also seen things written about removing folicles and re-inserting them elsewhere on the head, maybe i'm completly wrong but if hair falls out natuarally and you saved it would the surgeon not be able to re-insert it? i probably lose about a two hundred hairs a week that I can see so over a month or so if i collected them up I should get about a 1000!

feedback appreciated.

Hi,

I'm fairly new to the hairloss community. I've been using dutastaride for 2 years and I think its slowed down my hairloss but I can clearly see that I have about half the hair I had 4 years ago.

Anyway, I'm looking at other options like surgery etc... and have read about the grafting option but have also seen things written about removing folicles and re-inserting them elsewhere on the head, maybe i'm completly wrong but if hair falls out natuarally and you saved it would the surgeon not be able to re-insert it? i probably lose about a two hundred hairs a week that I can see so over a month or so if i collected them up I should get about a 1000!

feedback appreciated.

Hi Adamd,

The answer to your question about re-inserting fallen out hairs to your scalp is an absolute NO. The hairs you see are shedded hairs, the follicles are still inside your scalp and are gradually shrinking down to nothing. Basically, those follicles are genetically programed to die out. That's why people talk about limited donor supply. There is only a small section at the back of your head that is safe and when transplanted, they will remain.

I would say keep collecting those puppies for about 6 months. Once you have about 6000 or so I'm sure there are some top notch HT doctors that could work some magic for you and hot glue those little suckers to your mellon. Make sure you trim each one to the desired length first cuz they most likely won't grow.

adamd,

Welcome to our forum community.

As Janna has already answered for you, no this is not possible.

In hair transplantation, it is the hair follicle way below the surface of the scalp that is removed and transplanted not just simply a hair that has shed.

Picture the hair follicle like the root of a tree that allows a tree to grow. Cutting a branch and planting it into the ground will not cause it to grow. In fact, any life left in the branch will eventually die out, wither and decay.

Best wishes,

Bill

haha, no flyby is not being serious, Janna and Bill pretty much summed it up. The hair on the back of your head is 'steady' and won't fall out. That hair from the back can be removed and transplanted to the thinning areas on your scalp. Obviously there is only a limited amount of hairs that can be removed from this area otherwise it will look stupidly thin.