My 3700 FUSE procedure with Dr A

jk1

Started thinning at 16, only used nizoral ever since and progressed to NW3 now at 27.

3781 FUSE HT with Dr Arvind in India completed 28 april 2007

Day 1 - 1235 grafts,

Day 2 - 1547 grafts,

Day 3 - 999 grafts.

Scalp grafts = 2956 grafts

558 chest grafts and 216 abdomen grafts totalling 774 stomache grafts.

51 beard area grafts were also extracted as a trial

8741073513_768B1411F257A75D99F749C5EC8456F4.jpg.thumb 7741073513_DD1E0D8ADFE4210710BA28B1B091CDC9.jpg.thumb 7651026123_6A3CD29DA6C9DFEBA9835A4CA9EDA017.JPG.thumb 7451026123_E2643E419FA2A1B94D87FA4B8D5D679C.JPG.thumb 6741073513_2BD42480CD10E0F98ED02FEA13314566.jpg.thumb 5741073513_2DF3DCEDF2345EE765F85C688CC9FA30.jpg.thumb 2651026123_FC2C3E5B895C76319836CDC939672D70.JPG.thumb

Started thinning at 16, only used nizoral ever since and progressed to NW3 now at 27.

3781 FUSE HT with Dr Arvind in India completed 28 april 2007

Day 1 - 1235 grafts,

Day 2 - 1547 grafts,

Day 3 - 999 grafts.

Scalp grafts = 2956 grafts

558 chest grafts and 216 abdomen grafts totalling 774 stomache grafts.

51 beard area grafts were also extracted as a trial

8741073513_768B1411F257A75D99F749C5EC8456F4.jpg.thumb 7741073513_DD1E0D8ADFE4210710BA28B1B091CDC9.jpg.thumb 7651026123_6A3CD29DA6C9DFEBA9835A4CA9EDA017.JPG.thumb 7451026123_E2643E419FA2A1B94D87FA4B8D5D679C.JPG.thumb 6741073513_2BD42480CD10E0F98ED02FEA13314566.jpg.thumb 5741073513_2DF3DCEDF2345EE765F85C688CC9FA30.jpg.thumb 2651026123_FC2C3E5B895C76319836CDC939672D70.JPG.thumb

jk1,

Welcome to the forums. The work done by Dr. Arvind does look pretty solid.

Do you happen to have a breakdown of hair counts per graft that you can share with us?

Are you currently taking any medication (finasteride/minoxodil) to combat future hairloss? Since hairloss is unpredictable, and you are still young, it's important to attempt to prevent future hairloss from occuring since hair transplant surgery is NOT a cure for hairloss...it only places hair in your balding/thinning areas.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Bill

Thanks for posting your post-operative photos. You had a very interesting procedure and the donor site looks nice.

I have a couple of questions: What made you decide to use body hair? Also, in what areas of the scalp was the body hair utilized?

Dr. Rose has done BHT on a limited basis but I think he feels, as do I, that the best results are typically to be obtained via STRIP mega-session w/ Ledge closure, Follicular Isolation Technique (FIT) for scalp hair, and/or a STRIP/scalp FIT hybrid approach. That being said BHT does open some interesting possibilities. That is part of the reason that I am curious what part of your recipient zone received what hair.

Notice: I am an employee of Dr. Paul Rose who is recommended on this community. I am not a doctor. My opinions are not necessarily those of Dr. Rose. My advice is not medical advice.

Dr. Rose is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

TheHairLossCure,

I agree with you as to which procedures yield the best results. BHT is a fascinating concept, but it's still young in development. It appears from what I've seen, there has been no consistency with this method at this point, though there have been SOME positive yields I've seen in a very few cases. I'll be curious to see what future research holds for this method, however, I'd never actually recommend somebody do this as a primary method of restoration...not at this point. I know people have done it...and more power to them...but I won't be recommending it until there is more consistency.

Bill

Bill, i have the exact numbers listed from Dr A that i wil post later, i would guess the average is probably 2 hairs per graft.

Im not takeing any meds appart from Nizoral , which i have used for 10 years to slow the loss succesfully i think. I will not use minxoxidl and propecias as i dont need to. After 10 years of hair loss i show very little loss if any behind the nW3 area. This matches my dads loss at 65, no hair loss behind NW3. As a last resort in future if i change my mind then i have the big guns up my sleave. And have not had to slave away using a daily product or the risks of side effects. Also for frontal loss propecia and minixodil look to be very marginal in terms of results. Ht is the only option for me.

I have carefully though out every step of my treatment procedure. And have been reading hair loss forums for 10 years

now. I was one of the first to only ever use nizoral fro MPB, becuase i knew propecia could worsen frontal results and minox was not very effective either at the front. By using only minox i new what was ging my improvemnt. For 6-8 years after my hair looked fantastic, ie nearly back to my juvenille hair line. But in the last 2 years it has recessed to a nw2/3.

The cure for hair loss

the reason i have used BHt is becuase i have basically added 900 grafts to my available donor without sacrificing my valuable head hair, if i need more grafts in future. Also becuase i used 20% of the total only, i think it will be very difficult to tell where the BHT have been placed. Also becuase of the 20% even if the yield is low or due to the extra resitng phase of BHT you will not be able to notice it becuase its only 20%. I have also used mainly 2 hair chest grafts and some thick beard grafts to maximise my coverage from the BHT.

I used stomache grafts as they were the thinnest to match my existing head hair grafts for the temple points to make grafts soft more natural looking than a wall of terminal head hair grafts at the front.

I cant wait to see the results i guess as much as all you ou their.. common 2 days post op now !!

I was actually wondering if some of the body hairs were used specifically in the temples to feathery them. Thanks for the scoop. One problem physicians sometimes encounter, even in follicular unit transplantation, is building a hairline and/or temple points on patients with thick or wiry donor hair. In many cases even *single* hair grafts from the donor area are too think in diameter for the frontline or temple points. Coarse single-hair-grafts can't look "pluggy" exactly, but they can stand out too much and look "not right" if improperly placed in transition zones. Often times this issue is overcome by assuming a slightly different pattern or density on the leading edge so to distract the eye. Other times physicians can slightly injure a small handful of single-hair-grafts for the front, or use FIT to pinpoint very fine hairs. Using BHT is somewhat of an extension of FIT idea. The draw back that I see is that BHT has some unknowns and the aesthetic result may not be as predictable we would like.

I would really like to follow this case. The temple construction is interesting.

You def got a good amount of scalp grafts, almost 3000, to provide some nice volume. Congrats!

Notice: I am an employee of Dr. Paul Rose who is recommended on this community. I am not a doctor. My opinions are not necessarily those of Dr. Rose. My advice is not medical advice.

Dr. Rose is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

jk1,

I add my congrats to you as well on your procedure. Please keep us posted how everything goes for you.

Nizoral can definitely help remove the surface DHT from your scalp and if it's working for you without any assistance from other medications, that's great. Of course perhaps you were only destined for a NW3 anyway, thus it's really not doing anything. But we don't know that for sure icon_wink.gif.

Just a few things I want to add:

1. Propecia does not make you lose hair in the frontal area...sounds like this is what you said in your post. Though its effectiveness is primarily for the crown area, some have been known to regrow hair even in the front. But even if it doesn't regrow hair there or help in the front, it won't worsen your condition.

2. Though it's important to consider your family history of hairloss, it's not a sure thing that you will have the same exact pattern of baldness as your father. It's possible, but not definite. Hairloss is unpredictable...I'm sure you are aware.

Hopefully, as you say, your hairloss is done...but I'd be watchful if I were you. I believe Nizoral has some benefit in minimizing surface DHT on the scalp, but if you start noticing more hairloss, I'd reconsider the other medications.

Thanks for the info about the BHT. I do hope that everything works out for you there too.

TheHairlossCure,

I have seen the same thing regarding temple placement, unfortunately..the use of single, but more wiry hairs used in the temples. Using BHT in the temple areas also would be a really bad idea since those hairs by very nature are thicker and more coarse. I have seen a good amount of temple work over the years and many have produced very natural looking results with the use of fine single hairs...but some do stand out and don't blend as well because of thicker hairs.

Bill

jk1-

The quality of work looks great. Especially the the removal of the FUE grafts from the back of your head.............very, very small and I'm sure will heal well. Bill and THLC have pointed out some interesting comments about BHT and meds, not much for me to add.

I hope you'll stay with us and post your progress as I'm anxious to see how things turn out for you. Thanks for posting.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Another issue with using bht grafts in the temple region only is that the growing and resting phases for bht are out of synch with normal scalp donor.

In addition, body hair may go out of phase with the surrounding body hair by falling into a longer than normal resting phase, which could lead to the "appearance" of thinning.

Therefore a patient who looks phenominal at 4-5 months post-op, may actually see thinning at 1 year, which is the opposite of scalp donor.

Again, another issue to contend with when talking about bht, and remember that every person is different and may or may not experience these issues.

I feel that perhaps harvesting more scalp donor through a strip/fue combo and using bht grafts into the donor region represents a very useful and legitimate use for body grafts at this time.

Due to the fact that a person normally keeps the hair at the side/back of the head shorter, maybe this is more realistic?

Of course, test grafts would need to be placed in order to see how the grafts "blend in" with the existing hair in the region.

It will be interesting.

Take Care,

J

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

With the body hair in the temples the maximum density is 50/50 with head hair. The body hair used is from my stomache and is very similar to the head hair singles thickenss.

Due to the longer resting phase , i agree, their may be some seasonal thinng appearing, but thats how i want it, as i have mainy used BHT in the temple corners and last 1cm of hair line on each side .. So this area should look thinner than the rest, as thats the 1st place u normally loose hair and is genarally thinner than the rest. The 1st few rows of hailrine are nearly 100% body hair singles.

Further back is wher i have used mainly the thicker 2 hair body grafts from my chest and towards the centre part line the maximum hair/graft have been planted of both head and body hair.. interstingly Dr A said he got a few 4 hair head grafts !! so their all in the middle part line.

• 1 month later...

Looks good. It appears you've kept several of the grafts, correct? I'll be anxious to see you're updates...........thanks for sharing.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by jk1:

I have now updated my 5 week post op picks

Where ARE the update pix. I cant see them. Where should I look for them?

Finally got to see them pix. My bad.

You look quite nice in the frontal shot.

I thought this much was supposed to happen at 6 month or later. Enjoy your luck man.

Yeah , im very happy that at 2 months out i have maybe 30% of the grafts grow straight out the box. I have good coverage already now in the dark. in day light thought its very see through. But i couldnt be happier now considering its 2 months out and possibly the worst it may get.

• 1 year later...