Shock Fall Out post op..need support

mrose

I am 29 and just finished with my second procedure two and a half weeks ago. I got 2500 grafts on a head that was thining but not bald. It has been two weeks of shock fall out. I know in my heart that I will be ok in a few months, but I feel that I have lost way more hair than I bought. It wont stop falling out. Not my new hairs, but all my old ones. It is happening on the sides, back and top of my head. I am completely depressed and I feel it is driving me nuts. Please if there is anyone out there who experienced this and has recovered let me know. In need of some support. Thanks.

I am 29 and just finished with my second procedure two and a half weeks ago. I got 2500 grafts on a head that was thining but not bald. It has been two weeks of shock fall out. I know in my heart that I will be ok in a few months, but I feel that I have lost way more hair than I bought. It wont stop falling out. Not my new hairs, but all my old ones. It is happening on the sides, back and top of my head. I am completely depressed and I feel it is driving me nuts. Please if there is anyone out there who experienced this and has recovered let me know. In need of some support. Thanks.

I too had shock loss that I thought was or could be the end of the world... and will not come back. I am now PO 2month and most of it is growing back, but even if I could go back in time and tell my self this at 4 weeks I wouldn't believe it so I know where your coming from on this. Also I have read that shock loss sometimes is greater in HT2 then the first (do a search on bushy he had really bad shock loss in his HT2 but now at 4 months looks Amazing), but even most of those cases have had it grow back.

thanks,,just hearing that it will come back makes me feel a bit better..my doctor left my hair long while doing the procedure..wonder if that had anything to do with shock loss..hair is around three inches. Thinking I am going to cut it shorter.

While there are no guarantees, most of the hairs lost due to shock loss will return. We have patients who go through the same anxiety as you're experiencing right now. At 3-4 months post-op, your transplanted hairs and the shock loss hairs start growing in. Are you on Propecia? It seems to help a great deal of patients retain not only the transplanted hairs, but also help keep the existing hairs from shock loss.

Cutting your three inch long hairs should not matter one way or the other. It's probably better to get a hair style you'd like to try at this point, not just a short hair cut to curb shock loss. Good luck to you.

Re shock loss, is there nothing to prevent it from happening? I would have thought this is a major concern, espcially if there is no guarantee it will grow back. That would be a issue for me to go in and have 2000 hairs done and then you lose a % of original hair. Anyone know the percentage of people that suffer from SL and what can be taken to eliminate this? I saw a picture yesterday on the site of this man that had a huge bald patch on the back of his head and it didn't look too good to me.

Based on what I've read on this forum, shockloss is completely unpredictable.

Probably the best approach is to get the best doctor, so that transections are minimal.

Also, take Propecia, and if you can stand it Monoxidil. I've seen several on the this forum complain about loss, and in the very same breath say they wouldn't take either to stop it.

From my personal perspective, my HT is only 11 days old. I've seen no loss yet, but if it happens, I'll go with the flow. What the hell, Captain Picard could be a good look for me.

In the final analysis, if you've gotten an HT, you have to wait, and wait, and wait.

For me, my goal is not to look too wacky in the short term, so that I can get about without being mistaken for the Elephant Man, but that is the extent of my concerns.

mark h

Shockloss is not from transectioning surrounding native hair.

Transections may cause folliclular injury directly, depending on what level the graft was cut at, but it is not shockloss

Shockloss is a secondary physilogoical phenomenon caused by a combination of several insults including cutting too many tiny arterioles and veinules as well as localized swelling causing enough compression to compromise the blood supply and directly injure the hair root.It is largely unpredictable even when proper HT techniques are utilized. Thankfully, shocklost hairs tend to regrow fully in time.