Graft Rejection - What's Going On?

I am freaking out like crazy!

Everything went great during my hair transplant! I followed all instructions as given by my doctor afterwards and everything looked great up until today, 17 days post-op.

Actually, it started on day 14! That was when I lost a graft! It wasn't just hair shedding, but I lost the whole graft! There was bleeding and stinging afterwards. I could also see it was the follicle/graft.

Today, day 17, I lost another two grafts, with bleeding and stinging. On closer inspection in the mirror afterwards, I noticed I have several other raised bumps that appear to be lose grafts. I suspect they are going to be rejected in time as well.

What is going on? I thought that after day 10 everything was secure and that nothing would be lost by this time.

I live and work overseas and my hair transplant doctor is a plane ride away so I cannot easily go and see him for a follow-up consultation. I have sent him an email though, but any feedback from anyone on the site would really, really be appreciated.

Hair loss has affected my self-esteem for years and now that I have finally built up the courage to have this procedure done, I don't want to loose these hairs.

PLEASE HELP!

I am freaking out like crazy!

Everything went great during my hair transplant! I followed all instructions as given by my doctor afterwards and everything looked great up until today, 17 days post-op.

Actually, it started on day 14! That was when I lost a graft! It wasn't just hair shedding, but I lost the whole graft! There was bleeding and stinging afterwards. I could also see it was the follicle/graft.

Today, day 17, I lost another two grafts, with bleeding and stinging. On closer inspection in the mirror afterwards, I noticed I have several other raised bumps that appear to be lose grafts. I suspect they are going to be rejected in time as well.

What is going on? I thought that after day 10 everything was secure and that nothing would be lost by this time.

I live and work overseas and my hair transplant doctor is a plane ride away so I cannot easily go and see him for a follow-up consultation. I have sent him an email though, but any feedback from anyone on the site would really, really be appreciated.

Hair loss has affected my self-esteem for years and now that I have finally built up the courage to have this procedure done, I don't want to loose these hairs.

PLEASE HELP!

Sorry to hear this.

To be honoust I have never heared of anyone losing grafts in the way you discribed after 17 days.

Acording to studies grafts are well in place by day 6-7.

I would be interested to find out what happened and what was done to resolve this problem.

Consultant-co owner Prohairclinic (FUE only) in Belgium, Dr. De Reys.

i have to say that i have never heard of him. i think you need to possibly get in touch with the clinic and discuss your concerns. it doesn't sound good though. how many grafts did you have and what level was your loss before. was it a small session?

You might try contacting a coalition physician stateside to get their advice. You might be able to send a pic and get a response through mail/phone.

On one hand, its only been a few grafts so if it doesnt continue, then you havent lost much. It may be a case of infection which could be fixed with anti-biotics.

I would act quickly, but with optimism. Dont get discouraged. Good luck.

Ok ... Here's a thought for you ...

I live in a very warm climate but for the last 3 weeks I have pretty much been hiding out in air conditioning.

This is how things are happening. Everything seems fine when I am in air conditioning. The transplants looks ok, but whenI put my cap on and go outside, that's when the problems occur and my body rejects the grafts. That's also when the raised grafts appear.

From what I have read on this site, could it be foliculites? And it's actually oil deposits that are pushing out/shedding the hairs?

?????

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Like you I am looking in seeing Dr Pathomvanich later this year? I am concerned to here of your Loss of grafts, Have you managed to correct this and what was Dr Pathomvanich's comments/advice once you informed him of such concern.

Look forward to hearing from you!

Just saw the date on this---- any information as to what happened here?

I think some information about what went on is appropriate.

Jason

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

• 8 months later...

Go ahead and schedule your appointment. Now that it has been sometime sinc ethe surgery I think I am quite happy with the results. The density isn't quite as high as I had hoped but i am planning on going back in June to get it touched up and to have a bit more work done.

Overall, I think Dr. P did a good job.