23 days post op and i still have alot of white crust/dead skin!

Its been 23 days since my Ht and i still have white dead skin on my grafts. i wash daily with baby shampoo and have been aggresive the past couple of days..Whats going on here and why is this dead skin not going away?

Its been 23 days since my Ht and i still have white dead skin on my grafts. i wash daily with baby shampoo and have been aggresive the past couple of days..Whats going on here and why is this dead skin not going away?

Thinman,

Got pictures?

Dead skin is not the same as crusts. The "crusts" or scabs typically come off within 10 to 14 days if you are gently working them off.

See How Should I Wash My Hair After a Hair Transplant?

The scalp is most likely still healing, and dry flakey skin could be the result of it.

You may want to try some Aloe also, which helps with healing and flaking.

Best wishes,

Bill

In the event Thinman is referring to crusting, I had them for 24 days. That is until I called my clinic...

I was not shampooing my recipient hair very vigorously. Once I did, the remaining crusts fell off.

I do not know if this is your case...

Best of luck!

thinman123,

I had alot of crusting too. After talking to my doc and reading a few posts, I started to soak my head in a warm bath for about 20 min followed by a shower where I shampoo as described by Bill. I also apply 4 tablespoons of mineral oil to my scalp before I go to bed. Its greasy, but was recommended by my doc and has worked really w ell for me. A lot of the crusting has gone and most of the rest is on its way out.

- badger

3279 grafts with Dr Gabel - 06/12/08

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Gabel

I ended up runnig a comb through the hair to get the dead skin/crust off. Most of it came off with some hair. It took me an hour, but i gently combed the area and ALOT of the skin came off with some hair. Is there any harm to the grafts by combing it out? I saw no blood or anything. I am sorry, i have a pic but its really blurry and you cant really see the crust too good.

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn259/thinman123/pic1.jpg

At this point there shouldn't be any harm by combing out the scabs, but I would still shampoo and massage the scabs to remove whats remaining. A shampoo or two with more aggressive massaging of the scabs will take of of the rest. Even with a blurry pics you can tell you have not massaged the recipient area enough. Once the scabs are hydrated, they are soft and easier remove.