Dr Humayun Pakistan Hair Transplant Surgeon Review

Hi Guys,

I was wondering if you could help I considering using Dr Humayun for my hair transplant surgery but I understand he doesn't use depth control tools. Would this affect the results of my hair transplant? The HTI in Islamabad mention that all the tools they use have already been measured out?

I have also spoke to some patients of Dr Humayun on this forum that mention he is often not present to supervise the technicians implanting hair grafts. I understand he makes the incision and cuts the donor area etc but doesn't oversee that actual implanting of the hair which is crucial to the surgery. No matter how trained a surgeon is they can get bored and lose concentration after a few hour in surgery and become more likely to make mistakes. Is this normal?

What are you views on the above?

P.S. I know Dr Humayun is a very good surgeon but wanted to find out what other people think about my concerns.

I've been on these forums for more than two years now, and I've never heard about depth control tools..

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

11/04-07 - 800-1600 ish grafts - danish clinic - poor results

12/02-08 - 2764 grafts - Dr. Devroye - good result but needs hairline density

03/12-10 - 1429 grafts - Dr. Mohmand - result pending

Feel free to visit my picture thread

My Hair Transplant Photos - Surgery with Dr. Devroye

Young lads below 25 unite!

Well I am glad to hear that I can educate a member of the Hair Transplant Forum.

I believe some of the surgeons use depth controlled titanium micro punch blades to create a receptor site that can accept two- or three-hair follicular units.

I think there is a difference between depth control techniques and depth control units used for hair transplant surgery. (I'm not sure what the difference is though)

Depth control units are an array of custom sleeves fitting over hypodermic needles to precisely control the depth of recipient sites during hair transplant.

Romeone1,

Thanks for bringing your concerns to our attention. Some physicians do play a more active role in the procedure than others. All physicians are required to harvest the donor strip and make the recipient incisions. This process however, only takes up about 20% to 30% of the procedure.

While some physicians may choose also to place the new grafts into recipient sites, most don't. However, it's ultimately the responsibility of the physician to train and supervise their staff. While technicians are crucial to the success of the hair transplant, any problems immediately go back to and reflect on the physician.

Quality is always much more important than speed. However, an experienced physician will naturally become faster over time without sacrificing efficiency.

Regarding how Dr. Mohmand controls depth, you may want to ask him. Some surgical tools have depth control devices built-in while others don't. Some physicians prefer to use their experience and skill to determine depth while others prefer depth control devices.

The good news is, Dr. Mohmand and his surgical team have been producing excellent results consistently. However, before undergoing surgery, you should feel comfortable with your choice and all your questions answered. While we can help provide some of this information to you, I encourage you also to communicate your concerns with Dr. Mohmand and discuss them. Open communication between patients and physicians is important for building trust and knowing you've made the right choice.

Best wishes,

Bill

So far I have spoke to a number of the Dr's patients and a few of them are concerned with the growth rate + density of their hair. (But others are very happy.)

Why do you think some hair transplant surgeons implanted hair take longer to grow?

I believe Humayun is a quality surgeon but still need to find out how skilled his technicians are.

Romeono1, you should be 100% and comfortable with your choice of HT surgeon before you commit to a surgery. If received negative feedback from actual patients of the doctor, then you might want to step back, and think through this. Perhaps you should talk to the doctor directly and ask him to address your concerns. Another option might be for you to expand the consideration set of doctors that you might want to consider for your surgery.

HT is a BIG deal and a very important decision to make - it practically can determine how you look like for the rest of your life (positive or negative). A successful HT surgery can improve your life and an unsuccessful HT surgery can make your life miserable. So think and research carefully... and again, be 100% sure and comfortable before you commit to a surgery.

Romeono1,

This is the first time I'm hearing about patients who are dissatisfied with their results with Dr. Mohmand. Why haven't these patients come forward themselves?

Honestly, unless these patients are willing to come forward to discuss their dissatisfaction themselves, I don't think it's fair to discuss what you've obtained in private. Without any specifics, such partial information is damaging to Dr. Mohmand's reputation.

Generally speaking, whether or not a patient is satisfied with their results depends not only on the successful growth from a procedure, but on their expectations of the procedure. Ultimately, we will be happy to consider the feedback from these patients, but it is up to them to come forward individually to discuss their concerns. Most importantly, I hope these patients you are referring to have discussed their concerns with Dr. Mohmand.

Dr. Mohmand has an excellent reputation on this community for producing excellent results. In the event of less than stellar results due to less than optimal growth, I know he stands behind his patients.

At the end of the day, it is up to you to select a surgeon you're comfortable with. If you are not comfortable with Dr. Mohmand and his staff, you may want to consider another. That said, Dr. Mohmand and his staff have my confidence that they're performing high quality follicular unit hair transplant surgery.

Best Regards,

Bill

I am new and I have also been looking at Dr Hamayun Mohmands work, I dont think Romeono1 is saying Dr Hamayun is a bad guy or his work is very bad but he is not convinced that the equipment and results for his patients are not that great. I agree with him check out littlewolf for example. Do your research as this is a good site and try to go for Dr Rahul his results look fantastic

Yeah I'd love to be a tour guide, sounds good.

Bill, yes a few of his patients are concerned about their results but I think this it is just natural to be concerned after a hair transplant. Though they have all said that Dr Humayun is a very good surgeon and is very supportive.

No a few have not contacted him directly but I have recommended they contact him. (Please note some of them haven't reached the 12 months post op stage yet, so their results may improve)

If you want I can let you know who they are in private?

Do you know if this Dr uses Ultra Refined Follicular Unit Hair Transplantation? If he does use this technique then why is he not a coalition member?

Bill below is a post by Zaz who seems to be concerned with his hair transplant surgery by the Dr.

** I have just read another post which does state that the Dr said Zaz would require more than one surgery to ahcieve the results he is looking for. (So his concerns maybe premature)

" My overall experience was satisfactory, i mean for price they were pretty good but the centre lacks the level of customer care that a person from the west would expect. I believe the Dr just takes on a little too much and doesn't give the personal care a patient deserves, its something that they really need 2 work on."

http://hair-restoration-info.c...=260105092#260105092

Below is another post by him which shows he is not happy:

http://hair-restoration-info.c...=137102124#137102124

Romeono1,

Unless a post-operative issue has been brought to the physician's attention, there's really no reason to expect phone calls or emails immediately following the procedure. Some may make the extra effort, but it's ultimately up to the patient to contact the doctor with any questions.

Dr. Humayun seemed pretty responsive to Zaz's concerns, in my opinion. This was a patient who had extensive hair loss and received a moderate amount of grafts during his first session. It was clearly communicated that he would require an additional surgery to reach his goals:

yes you did state that i would need 5000-6000 grafts to get a decent level (70% - 80%) coverage

His last update was at 8.5 months.

Best,

Anthony (youngsuccess)

-------

All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my My Hair Loss Website

Romeono1,

I hadn't remembered ZAZ's case until you mentioned it. However, now that I look back on my notes, I do remember his concerns and agreed for 8.5 months that his growth seemed rather sparse.

While we never did get an update from him as to the outcome of his results at 1 year, what you failed to mention is how Dr. Mohmand stood behind his patient and offered him a free procedure to replace missing grafts and compensation. You can read his reply on the top of this discussion topic.

Because hair transplant surgery isn't an exact science and a number of variables (some unknown) come into play, even the best surgeons have less than optimal results on occasion. While nobody wants to be one of these cases, at the end of the day, it's how a physician stands behind his patients that makes an outstanding physician.

We appear to be having the same discussion now on two different topics. You can see my response to your question about ultra refined follicular unit grafting and the Coalition on the topic you started "How to tell the quality of the Hair Technicians.

Best Regards,

Bill

Dear Romeono1

It was brought to my attention about your thread and concerns.

I do think you have asked me this question before either on an email or tel call.

Let me tell you my point of view about your so called depth control titanium punches that you have been asking for.

I know some people in World are using the punches but presently none of the top cadre of the surgeons are using the punches reason being they tend to heal with a visible pitting effect especially in a south asian skin. I have been using them and have stopped that 8 years back. the depth of the instrument is not that important as it varies from patient to patient and even with a depth control if you press hard then you can go deeper in spite of the depth control instruments. So most surgeon use depth control for them to feel the little resistance that it offers and that is all they need.

Trust me that depth control is mainly for beginners and if you ask any of the top surgeons they would not weight the depth control as important factor. I know that doctors have used simple sharp point needles and also simple 18 gauge needles which does not have a depth control instruments attached but produce a great results. So with due respect that is all selling gimmick of a doctor who has told you about that and I know who is that doctor in Pakistan anyway, because he tends to brag about that depth control titanium punches but i respect his choice but do not agree with that.

Second about the extra fine follicular units

By definition, extra fine follicular units means all the fat has to be removed from the follicles with out damaging the follicle. It does not mean to split the naturally occurring paired follicles in a follicular unit. YES we do remove all the excess fat and by definition it does become extra fine follicular unit. No I do not split the existing paired follicular unit as In my view its a cheating with the patient and a tool of making more grafts and hence charging more.

Now coming to the patient dissatisfaction

I acknowledge that certain number of my patients wont be happy in the first instance for the simple reason, I do not do very dense packing and I am a two stage surgery guy. If you need 4000 grafts i will do that in two sessions not one session. I know people might not agree with that but in my hands 4000 grafts in two sessions have about 30% better results than in one session.

Now, I also acknowledge the fact that some percentage of my patients and for that matter any surgeons patient would be un satisfied with the yield issue and there are reasons that are due to surgeon and technique and also that in some cases its not know usually referred as X factor. Irrespective of the reason I take the blame for the poor growth and in my clinic what i have done is,

lets suppose we have done 3000 grafts and on a rough estimate the patient says that the result is about 80%, I give guarantee of 90% so in that case 10% grafts are less than promised, so i will not only give him that 10% that we fail to give but also give him an extra 10%, in this way if the surgery is 50% then he gets 100% free surgery.

If he does not get any result and he does not trust me any more then i give him full refunds.

I have done over 4000 patients and if I have just 5% un satisfied patient it will be 200 patients and 2% will amount to 80 patients, 4 is not that high numbers but for me every patient matters and therefore I stand behind my patients in every way.

The only thing is you have to be rationale to discuss the options with me and I have never claimed that I am a perfect guy, I just try to do as good as I can. I am learning, it is now 10 years and almost for last 8 years my papers have been accepted for presentation in ISHRS meeting, this means a lot in terms of medical profession. I am sure if you ask any doctor that if some one is for 8 years been presenting his work at the international level is that good or bad.

I am sure I am doing some thing right that my clients are getting more and more. i do about 3 surgeries a day and my waiting period is not touching 3 weeks. This is only because I have developed a strong system and a reproducible results that looks natural and good. But this certainly does not mean that I am the best, this means I have yet to work hard and improve on myself.

Mind you I do not agree to certain rules of this community but I respect those rules and in order to be in this community i have to adopt that.

In the end, every thing boils down to one factor, am I a ethically practicing doctor who cares for his patients and are my results compatible to the minimum acceptable results in terms of growth and naturalness.

I say, YES I am.

If you do have certain issues with respect to technical points in Hair transplant, I would be more than happy to answer those for you in depth and in the way i believe in them.

I am sure I will learn from your comments as well.

---

I am a medical advisor to Lexington International and Hairmax. What ever I say is my personal opinion.

Dr. Mohmand is recommended on the Hair Transplant Network

Yes I agree Dr Humayun has stood by Zaz which is great to hear. As I said all of his patients I have talked to have said the Doctor is very supportive and professional.

I also agree that there can be complications in any type of surgery and sometimes they cannot be avoided because of the patients health etc.

Dr Humayun thanks for answering my questions, your consultant Shahid has been very helpful but I also wanted to hear what others have been saying, hence the reason I am on this forum.

Dr Mohmand, thanks for a detailed post (which was informative by the way). I have two quick questions based on what you wrote.

(1) You said that you perform 3 surgeries a day? In your opinion, does it not affect the quality of HT surgeries if a surgeon is doing 3 surgeries every day? (I am curious because I think reputed North American surgeons do 1 or 2 surgeries a day, except of course the HT mills.)

(2) You mentioned that you do not agree with certain rules of this community (but nevertheless respect and adopt those rules). Can you please elaborate what these rules of this community might be? (Again, I am curious about the alternative perspective.)

Again, thanks for an informative and detailed post.

Well I would like to tell you about time management in hair transplant surgery, in this way you can actually do 3 surgeries a day and still manage to finish your work before 1 pm. This however, can vary from one doctor to another based on his/her expertise.

I have three theaters and my patients come at 9.30 to 10 am in office.

I take first patient to theatre 1, take pictures and draw the hair line. (this takes 10 to 15 mins)

I then go to theatre no 2 and do the same

in the mean while the first patient is given local on the donor area.

So I go back to theatre no 1 and take the strip (15 mins)

then I go to theatre no 3 and take pictures etc and then go to theatre no 2 and take a strip and then theatre no 1 to make sites, takes me about 30 mins for site making. Then I go to theatre no 3 strip and then theatre no 2 sites and then theatre no 3 sites.

So I start my surgeries by 10 am and finish my part of work at 1 pm.

Then I do few consults for cosmetic surgeries and HT if needed. All my hair transplants are done by 4 to 6 pm. It is at this time around 4 to 5 pm that I do almost one cosmetic surgery 2 out of 3 days. My day end at about 7pm.

If some one knows the art of managing time its very easy and without getting tired.

Now to the second part

I personally think that what is important in HT is not how you do it but what is the outcome.

The key is that it should not look unnatural, the hair line should stand the test of time (means with passage of time and hair loss t should remain natural looking though thin) the donor area should be minimally scarred so that if he wants he should be able to trim the hair not exactly at no 0 trimmer but about a cm or two. Though the idea is to make it possible to trim the hair as short as possible. No two scars etc.

It really does not matter to use sophisticated machines.

At one time when we did not have so many gadgets we had clinical acumen and we use to use our clinical judgement more, now all we do is send for this test and that test spend 1000's of $ and then diagnose its a common cold.

now, I understand its a evidence based medicine as well, but again the idea is to treat the patient. what I have noticed that so many people use these expensive tools just to promote themselves but their work is less than what I call is natural looks.

So whether chubby or no chubby, microscope or no microscope, if the doctor is doing a standard job he should be given the same level as others.

The criterion of membership should be based on the outcome of his/her results.

---

I am a medical advisor to Lexington International and Hairmax. What ever I say is my personal opinion.

Dr Mohmand, thanks for the detailed response.

It seems that HT surgeries are apparently done in a totally different manner in some other parts of the world than it is in North America. I don't think any North American doctor will have multiple parallel surgery theaters running at the same time, with 3 to 4 patients a day. I guess it also depends on the doctor's time management issues.

Quote from Dr Humayun

"Now, I also acknowledge the fact that some percentage of my patients and for that matter any surgeons patient would be un satisfied with the yield issue and there are reasons that are due to surgeon and technique and also that in some cases its not know usually referred as X factor. Irrespective of the reason I take the blame for the poor growth."

I think the main reason some patients are facing growth yeild problems is because of the technique used. i.e. some surgeons trim chubbier grafts: the main problem with using all extremely skinny, skeletonized FU's is that the physical structure of the graft is very vulnerable to being damaged in the placement process by the hair transplant assistants. It is also more susceptible to becoming dried out if left on an assistant's gloved finger too long. These two comments are in addition to possible damage to the 'bulge' and dermal papilla areas, and also cutting off possible hidden telogen follicles.

Do you think this could be one of the main reasons some patients transplanted hair takes longer to grow.

Also there doesn't seem to be any birds eye view pictures of the hair transplant surgery carried out by Dr Humanyun on this site. Why is this?

Dear Romeono1

i am pretty open about my self.

I know people do a lot of one stage hair transplant. I am two stage surgery, i think I can produce more density in two sessions with same number of grafts than I can do that in one session. Hence i have started to do two sessions. This is more hassle for patients but better results.

May be that is one of the reasons I am getting more surgeries as i tend to do more sessions per patient than others but the patient satisfaction rate with higher grade of hair loss is more with me as well.

You cant judge me based on my one session result as I always plan from the point of view of two sessions.

YES, if you do not do the second session the results are thinned out but looks very natural and no unnatural effects are seen.

I have posted once again the reasons the grafts might not survive in your other post.

---

how about dense packing in one session might be a good idea, saving people multiple journeys. Its better to give attention to detail, 1 excellent H.T is better than 3 or 4 very basic H.T. Just my opinion

I just wanted to thank Dr. Humayun for great info and being completely open. The one thing I think is a little odd about this site is that some patients / onlookers think they know just as much as the doctors that post here. I'm not referring to you guys who posted in this thread, but just in general.

In my few months of research I've drawn some conclusions myself on various HT topics. But, I'm not performing HTs or talking/evaluating patients everyday. Therefore, I wouldn't even dare try to contradict what a doctor has kindly dislosed for our information purposes.

The great thing for us is we have the right to choose. If you feel more comfortable with one doctor's methods as opposed to anothers then you need not worry how other doctors in other countries perform their work.

just my 2 cents

Dear AMMO

Tell me how many doctors in this forum say categorically that they can give dense packing one surgery result for more than type III MPB.

The reasons no one will do that is because

He has to see

1) The Area to be covered

2) The donor Density

3) The donor mobility

4) the paying capacity of the patient.

You do need to understand one thing if money is the criterion then one surgery gives you more profit for same number of grafts then 2 surgeries. As for two surgeries your fixed cost becomes double. So if anything with respect to mills of hair transplant I am on a loosing end.

I do not consider money as my prime target, its a bye product of name that I want to have. I want to be the most respected doctor in my speciality.

So please give me a break with one surgery dense packing thing.

Simple mats

measure the recipient area in cm, then multiply that with minimum of 40 to 50, this will give you a rough estimate of how many grafts you need for a dense packing.

Please also remember there is a difference between science and arts.

In arts they do not believe in one go, you always need to do a small touch up and that small touch up can actually make all the difference.

regards

---

Megatron this forum is here so people can ask questions about hair transplant surgery, raise their concerns and learn. Every person is entitled to an opinion and some Dr's have differing opinions on subject matters. Therefore it is healthy to question techniques used by Dr's as this helps people to make up their own mind on which techniques used etc are better.

In future rather than discouraging fellow posters from raising questions I suggest you encourage them as this will help other forum member as well.

Thanks

I think Dr Hamayun is upset with me icon_confused.gif

I wasnt trying to be offensive just an opinion which he clearly didnt like. My point was just based on looking at all of his patients results and talking to them, his patients must be lying then!!

Romeono1, I 100% agree that the value of this forum is the information it gives HT patients. That said, I think you have to really appreciate when a doctor talks so openly about their practice. I don't know what you do for a living, but can you imagine a bunch of strangers who aren't in your profession implying your methods are flawed?

As forum members, I think we have to be careful walking this fine line because we don't want to discourage doctors from posting here. Like I said above, I don't think anyone in this thread has been disrespectful.

It's also critical to have a good & fair forum moderator to monitor these types of discussions and it seems like Bill really is one of the best in this respect.

In the end, if you don't like what a HT surgeon says, then choose someone else.