FUT/FUE combo? Scar donor area?

I have a weird idea/question, one that might have been asked before....just not recently.

I understand that there are several factors that a Doc/patient has to or should take into account before procceding. Obviously - genetics/family history, hair characteristics, scalp health, patient expectations, etc.

As far as the donor scar is concerned, I understand that there are general rules/guidelines that a doc follows in removing the strip (FUT) due to safety, laxity, donor supply, yeild, and cosmetics (the two finger rule above the ear and so forth).

With that being said, a smiley face is a smiley face, and there is nothing wrong with a smiley face! Just, that it is a tell tale sign of and HT. It doesn't even look like an accident. It is a perfect half moon done with care and artistry. You can't say it was a big wave surfing injury...ok you can still say that! But it still looks like an HT. What happens in Vegas, should stay in Vegas! Most women who get breast implants don't go around saying they got new boobs or bringing attention to their scars.

The above rant is my only qualm with FUT. I love it because it is cost effective and produces a natural full appearance. The scar is what is pushing me to FUE. I am afraid that in the short term a FUT will be great, but then after further loss (MPB) even with meds and multiple HT's to combat loss, I will be forced to buzz/shave later/older.... say hello to mister smiley face.

There plenty of good discussions here on this board about FUT vs. FUE. I will break down my thoughts on it. Both are great! So, what is different?

FUT - scar.

FUE - cost... still is scaring just different.

Obviously, there is more to it, look for the threads here to find out details and to come to your own conclusions.

So what is my crazy question you say? Can an FUT HT be done with a different scar schematic and have similar yeilds? And then, add more FU's via FUE. Therefore reducing the scaring or rather just changing normal scaring patterns by using both modalities.

nsuede,

What's not to love about a smiley face? Just think - if you did end up shaving your head, you could tattoo 2 black dots above the scar so the back of your head can smile at everyone :-).

On a serious note...let me say this first. No matter which procedure you choose to pursue, hair transplantation is about long term planning. If the end result is going to be shaving your head, just do it now and save yourself the money and potential obvious scarring.

Remember that FUE isn't a scarless procedure, it just produces a less obvious and scattered form of scarring. If you shaved down all the way, there's a good chance you'll see white dots all over your scalp where hair follicles were removed.

That said, shaving your head all the way down should never be part of a long term hair restoration plan - unless your long term plan is to accept your baldness.

That said, you have choices to make and what's best for you will depend on your age, current level of hair loss, future risks of hair loss, family history and goals.

Best wishes in choosing a hair restoration plan and/or procedure(s) that's right for you,

Bill

Bill, i ve been meaning to ask u this... lets say someone goes under the knife for a FUT which is done by an extremely skilled surgeon and the procedure is perfect. I am just curious, lets say after a decade, dun tell me that the scar is still visible if u buzz down? any comments? icon_smile.gif

View my hair loss website. Surgery done by Doc Pathomvanich from Bangkok http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1730

wb280,

A scar is a scar. Even the best FUT scars will be visible completely shaved down, though it should appear extremely thin.

Julius,

A surgeon can carve a jack-o-lantern pattern into the back of your head if you want :-). However, physicians go the linear route in most cases because it's the best way to reduce the transection rate.

Best wishes,

Bill