Dr Rober Jones (Oakville Ontario) second transplant or not

donna

I had a transplant with Jones at the beginning of January and everything went very smoothly

(2500 gratfs but they got 2850 out of my stip). Arrived at 7:30am (cutting and lateral slits started at around 8:15am-:8:30am) and was done at 2:30-3:00pm. Is that good or rushed?

Jones was great and came in many times to check on me and his assistants after he did all the initial slits.

Scar is thin so far and I'm applying Vitamin E

oil to it daily hoping it doesn't stretch.

Will be posting before/after photo's in February of transplant and scar.

Overall office experience: A+

male pattern baldness sucks!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why don't all these unhappy patients who have problems with their transplants call the doctor

and get answers instead of E-Mailing them? The dudes got a toll free number and I'm sure that he'd get back to you. Everytime I've called, Dr. Jones called me back and answered all of my questions. There's a HUGE difference between a non-emotional E-Mail and talking with someone

1 on 1 with your concerns.

I'm not doubting any of you but there should be a new rule for people who've got complaints against a doctor. If they don't have photo's to back up their complaints, and are new, they should be considered trolls or highered posters. With all the doctor bashing going on around on this (with no photo proof) and other boards, every post should be taken with a grain of salt since it's just too easy for someone to post a bad review, go register again under another name and post another bad review.

Oh, and Big Mac, we're still waiting for part 2.

Good post...

I also had a good experience with DR.J this past December. Approx 6 weeks out, now it's the waiting game.

Side note: about the vitiman E on the scar,

could it help me to keep the scar down at this point?

Thanks...

And, oh, BIGMAC, part 2??

Storage.

Sorry bro, I don't know the answer.

I was going to order "Mederma" from the States(I'm in Canada) to treat the donor area to help heal the scar and hopefully keep the scar from stretching but Dr. Jones said to just use Vitamin E oil. There's also a scar ointment called "Dermatix" (in Canada) that's suppose to be real good for scars but it's $60 a tube!

Cimeosil is suppose to vbe good as well but I

have never tried it.

http://www.alliedbiomedical.com/scarmanage.html

I think anyone that dishes out $5000+ for a hair transplant, should also look into treatments to heal the "donor area/scar" for the months following the operation. It's no guarantee that it won't stretch but if you're careful about your activities (working out, strenuous activities...) and treat the donor area daily with creams or ointments, you'll diminish the chances of it stretching.

Aside from the *hacks*http://hair-restoration-info.com/infopop/icons1/icon12.gif out there that don't know how to close up a donor wound, once the *competent* doc has sewn you up and sent you on your way, I think it's mostly our responsiblility to follow post opt instructions and be real careful and treat the scar until it is fully healed. Of course, there are the rare times that the scar will stretch but those cases are just bad luck IMO.

Then again, what the hell do I know? icon_wink.gif

All i can say is wow after reading the whole post on Dr.Jones. I really felt like I was the only 1 who felt the way you guys do about losing your hair. My heart and prayers really go out to you Donna. I hope you are doing better and that the second transplant went better. Bigmac,Donna if you can send those pictures you'd really be helping out other people by warning them. If what you guys say is true.

A little bio on me is as follows.

I started losing my hair in the crowning area during college. Now I'm currently turning 26 and have started getting more of a reseeding hairline from the front and I'm also losing hair down the middle area of my head as well. I feel embarrassed just writing this, but i know that you guys know what I'm talking about all to well. Currently i am working a job that requires extended periods of time being away from home. Oh and to top it off. I just seperated with my gf of the past 3yrs. So as you can tell I am an emotional wreck with zilch confidence.

Well I definetly gotta go back to the drawing board and do more research on everyones posts from other subjects on their hair transplant stories.

And 1 last thing if you guys (Donna, Bigmac) need someone to chat with..... I'm there for ya....

Sincerely Middle Aged Man

Baldbozo,

Thanks for the info... I don't have paintshop but i'm getting photoshop.

I had a 3 mm scar from previous procedure. He cut above the old scar all the way beyond the left ear.

I'll be happy to send you pictures to your e mail.

And to those who had a posetive experience with that guy, good for you.

It's just hard to conceive finishing so many grafts in little time.

Check out past posts and you'll see complaints about poor growth...

Abouw,

I have read about other people that had poor growth and I contacted them via E-Mail and spoke with one of them on the phone. I'm not making excuses for anyone but in those cases (the ones I contacted), the people complaining were *NOT* using Minox/Rogaine (highly recommended by Jones) on their recipient areas and failed to mention that in their complaining posts! That is what pisses me off about anyone who posts non-descript complaints. 2 people that I spoke with weren't happy with the treatment at Jones' office but were pleased with the *results* but failed to mention this in their post. They just said that they had a "bad experience" with him. How misleading is that? After all, *OVERALL RESULTS* are what we're all after isn't it? I don't give a flying F*!? if he smiles at me when I come in or gives me a lolipop when I leave, as long as the FINAL result on my noggin looks good! PERIOD!

If you have had a bad HT with ANY doctor, this is the place to warn or praise their work but if you don't post ***ALL*** the facts(and hopefully pics), you're simply misleasing people.

If I have any problems with my HT, I'll be on these boards in a heartbeat ranting and raving, ***AFTER*** I speak with the doctor and ***ONLY*** if he "fluffed" off my complaints. I could be wrong but I doubt that Dr. Jones or any legit doctor would ignore a legitamate complaint.

Regarding scars... After reading many posts on scars and stretching, is it me or are people who've had more that 1 HT procedure more prone to

"stretching"?

And regarding them "finishing so many grafts in so little time"... I have no idea but you should ask someone like Jotronic or someone else who would know how long it would take to implant 1100 grafts.

And last but not least... Anyone accusing ***ANY*** doctor of throwing away grafts should be certain that such and such doctor did that because that is a very serious accusation and any doctor throwing away grafts should be investigated. So don't assume that they did that, be certain before you post!

I apologize to everyone for posting so much today, I'm just tired of misleading/or non-descript posts. And I'm freezing my A$$ off here in T.O.!

I find it hard to believe that Dr J would not return calls or emails. I do not believe in the LEAST that he would mistreat anyone over the phone or in person. No Way.

I am 8 months post HT and Dr J STILL has time for my calls and email updates. I am amazed he can keep up with his current patients while spending so much time with past and prospective patients.

If you have a problem with any aspect of your Dr's work you need to discuss it immediately with THAT Dr first. Your Dr should not read about your issues here before you have spoken with him/her first (that does no one any good).

Lastly, I know that Dr Jones stands behind his work and is not concerned with making money. His rates are the most competitive out there for strip and FUE. Why would anyone want his/her product walking around for years with a less than acceptable result?

I believe the man truly is upstanding and would correct issues outside of what is standard for the industry.

using minoxidil is not needed for a successful transplant.

thats alot of B.S to blame a poor results on not using minoxidil.

Son Of a plug dont you have a wide donor scar from your Jones transplant?

are you Vantri who posts on hlh looking for repair of your donor scar or are you somebody else?

Abouw,

Eat what words? All I have done was state my experience *so far*. I've nothing to hide and plan on posting updates of my results good or bad.

I just hope it turns out good! icon_wink.gif

That still doesn't change my stance on misleading posts.

baldbozo

I'm not saying that minox is *needed*, but it's recommended by many docs on these forums to "speed up" the growth. I can only comment about the Jones patients that I *have* spoken with and

two of the ones complaining about slow growth

weren't using minox but were pleased with the overall outcome after 10-11 months and one that was complaining wasn't using minox but was only 2 months out so his complaints were WAY too soon to judge anything! One of them DID have a bad scar though.

All I'm saying is to post *all* the facts when you're complaining about someones work, it's

the only way to keep these forums useful and seperates them from Newsgroups.

Yes, I am both posters. Sorry, I have explained before about the fact I chose unique names back before I ever had a HT.

Wide Scar...yes.

I have already addressed the issue with Dr Jones and am satisfied with the attention he continues to give the situation.

There is nothing I can do now at 8 months about the scar but keep in contact with Dr Jones.

The recipient site is growing and coming along well.

I wanted to participate in this post to address the fact that Dr Jones has never given me any indication that I'm on my own with this scar or I shouldn't be honest about my results with others.

I am a believer in seeing things through from beginning to end.

Hey, my recipient site looks good thus far, and with some trust and patience the rest will come together (tightly I hope).

I'm not going anywhere, so you can be sure I will continue to read and post until HTs are no longer an issue for me.

donna,

i'm just curious to see how your doing after the HT. all i can say is there are alot of mixed feelings toward DR.Jones. i was considering him as its close to home but there are way to many mixed opinions on him. now please remember that i'm a newbie but the people with the best feedback are the hasson&wong tag team duo. so far....

To Big Mac, Abouw and Donna,

My apologies for not providing the service you expected. My phone line is always open to legitimate concerns. Please call me and I would be more than willing to meet and talk.

Big Mac, You have listed your birthdate as March 10th, 1956. I have checked my records and did not do a transplant on anyone with this birthdate last April, or for that matter last spring. Please call me and identify yourself and I will stand by my work.

Abouw, you wrote me a letter a week after the proceedure shown below.

Hi Dr. Jones,

As for the hair, I'd like to do more on the hairline but I'm concerned about not having enough donor grafts for future hairloss especially after the NY doctor wasted so much on the crown with no regrowth.

I guess we'll have to discuss the best option.

Thanks again for accommodating my finances.

Sincerely,..

You arrived for the transplant with not enough money to pay, and I provided the service on your word that I would recieve payment over three months.

It seems funny that when it was time to pay your bill for the transplant you became unhappy...

Donna, Your scar is 1-2 mm wide. Your growth was excellent from the first transplant, and will be the same from the second. I did the second proceedure for $750 U.S. for 1800 grafts inspite of an excellent result from the first proceedure. I invite you to post pictures of the donor and recipient sites as you please.

All I ask is that readers insist on looking at photos rather than passing judgement on verbal complaints,

Sincerely,

Dr. Robert Jones

1-866-669-6676

I did send you a thank you e mail. I wanted to beleive that all's well until I saw the donor scar and started doing research.

You were having a problem with the credit card. you secretary was typing the wrong expiration date delaying the procedure and then you were forced to rush through... Between cash and credit cards, You were 80% paid when you got started.

Why not reply to the real issue?

Is it physically possible to place 1100 grafts in 2 hours with 2 technicians working who took half an hour break each?

On your website, you claim to be very "hands on" and that you place the majority of the grafts yourself. Not only you did not place any of the grafts, your technician was making some of the incisions.

As for the donor scar, look under the "post your own hair transplant photos" section. Would you accept a scar like that on you???

Would you still want to pay for a botched hair transplant?

Call you? What for? To get counseled over my donor scar!!!

I find it offensive that you bring up money for defense.

By the way, you did not reply to missingit.

As a follow up to my resent posts I did e-mail the Doctor re: my HT and Doctor Jones did call my office this mornning. As a result of are talk I will be driving up to office sometime next week. Dr Jones did mention he will stand by his work and make good if I was not satisfied. I should of contacted the Dr first instead of voicing my displeasure on this board. I will keep the board posted on my progress with Dr Jones.

Bigmac,

I think that it would be appropriate to post your follow up experience and plans for the future in a new thread of your own.

I too plan to report my progress in a thread of my own that will keep focused on positive forward progress.

The main point is that you need to decide now that you will post tomorrow no matter what the decision is on the HT results.

I would not be surprised if Dr Jones even posted a thread (with your permission) regarding his findings during your evaluation.

Would you agree to such a post by Dr Jones?

Bigmac,

Thanks for agreeing to share Dr Jone's comments regarding your concerns. I am sure the follow up will be much better in person than any digital camera could ever portray.

Baldbozo,

I am in no rush to repair this scar until my scalp is ready (healed with proper laxity) and it has been determined which type repair procedure and Dr are best for MY case.

Dear Big Mac

On Dec 18th I had my second procedure with Dr Jones. I did experience shock loss and I am disturbed by some things that I will keep quiet for now. I am very distraught to hear about your experience, I know it all a little too well. My scar this time is longer than ear to ear, kinda in the shape of a 'U'. I wish I never saw it.

Sure this website may be an okay idea.

BUT LETS BE REALISTIC

These Doctors will never have to be accountable and no Doctor will ever give you the money back as someone in a previous post suggested to me.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> These Doctors will never have to be accountable and no Doctor will ever give you the money back as someone in a previous post suggested to me.

You might be correct Donna but going back to a doctor after you weren't happy the first time is very unwise in my opinion. " Bite you once shame on him, bite you twice shame on you".

There are ways of getting your money back from a doctor especially one that gets alot of business from the internet. I would write a letter to your doctor along with pictures explaining to him why you aren't happy. If he agrees to meet with you address your problems and see what the doctor says. If you aren't happy with his responses then you should research what the doctor said and see if the doctor is correct and if hes only trying to save his own ass then send another letter. This letter again should give me an explanation why you aren't happy and what you came up with by researching that differs from what he said. Demand all your money back and give him a date send you a cheque or you will post all your pictures and explanation on the internet to save any future patients the pain that you suffered.

I know this is severe but so is the emotions distress that we suffer from before a transplant and after a bad transplant.

Lorenzo

Representative for Hasson & Wong.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Hasson

• 1 month later...

unhappy

Dear Big Mac

On Dec 18th I had my second procedure with Dr Jones. I did experience shock loss and I am disturbed by some things that I will keep quiet for now. I am very distraught to hear about your experience, I know it all a little too well. My scar this time is longer than ear to ear, kinda in the shape of a 'U'. I wish I never saw it.

First of all...I would be very suspicious of someone who posts that they are unhappy...then fails to provide pictures to back up their claims!!

What...are we supposed to take you at your word?? How do we know your not a nurse at the Seager HT Center or something??

Also a note about the scar!! It seems you may have not done enough research about HT's...my scar also goes from ear to ear and although I am only 4 days post op it is healing quite well...especially with the vitamin E lotion applied to it every day...did you follow your post op instructions given to you by the doctor??

I'm sorry that your not happy with your HT...I hope the situation gets resolved to your satisfaction...however...my personal experience with Dr. Jones has been nothing short of fantastic!

And no I do not work for him!

Abouw:

Your comment about the doctor not personally placing the grafts in the slits themselves...show me a doctor that does?? That is why they have highly trained staff on hand to do those things.

I would think the only thing the doctor should be responsible for is:

1) Initial consultation

2) Recreate hairline

3) Administer local- aka needles and removal of strip, closure of wound.

4) Lateral slits.

5) Supervision of grafts from time to time being inserted and final result.

6) Follow up consultation, touch up work if required and suture/staple removal 10 days later.

What more should you expect??

My procedure started at 8:00 am and didn't finish until 3:30 pm for 3000 strip...actually ended up with 3100 total.

I think there has to be some give and take...my thoughts anyway FWIW

Good luck

Is it 6 months yet??

Is it 6 months yet??

I disagree completely.....I think the doctor should definitely be a part of placing the grafts. Would I want him placing all the grafts? No, I'm sure fatigue plays a part of the surgery, and the doctor has already done a lot of the work. Skilled technicians definitely play a part in a successful HT, and I'd want them helping out in that long portion of the surgery. I do, however, think that the doctor should be there placing as well. I'm paying thousands of dollars, and I'd expect that level of service.

My doctor did his share of placing the grafts in my 1500 graft strip HT, so that's one doctor. I'm sure there are many more.