TomA The Morning After

TomA

Well, this is me, one day after my visit to Dr. Damkerng Pathomvanich.

Of course I know nothing about results, but the experience itself was wonderful. The service levels here in Thailand are VERY high as I was told to expect. His staff is lovely in every sense of the word. He's a funny guy. There are two assistant physicians and Dr. P supervises the whole thing, doing the important parts personally. And yes, they really do massage you during the procedure. At one point I think it was an 8-hand massage! They bring you snacks and dinner afterward (you order what you want). I had Pad Thai.

My only disappointment was that we only got 3300 grafts and I was hoping for 4000. My donor density is apparently a bit lower than average--though still good quality. (And maybe not enough laxity in the back to take enough? Not sure. I didn't do much in the way of scalp exercises due to traveling so much over the past several months--maybe that was part of the issue.) I would have needed at least two operations for complete coverage anyway--they estimated around 8000. So I will still have a bald spot in the back. Apparently, I would have anyway, the extras would just have gone toward making the spot smaller.

(As an aside, I also had LASIK here and it was almost exactly half the price it was in the USA--and the same incredible level of service that seems to be the norm over here--foot massage while waiting for the drops to take effect; meals brought to me. Drink service. They used the new waveform LASIK, too. The results after 36 hours are incredible. No pain, no redness, no dryness, no night starbursts and 20/25 vision already. Little hazy still, but better every hour. Close up vision to 5 feet is better than before. I love Thailand! Ok back to my hair...)

I got in at around 9:00. I was done by 18:30. They didn't require me to shave and I took that option, which he said slowed things down a bit.

I have a bit of bleeding in the back which you can see in one picture. They said that I could pat down any bleeding, but I decided to leave it alone and let them handle it at my checkup today. Bumped my head slightly leaving the taxi, but I think it was in the front (my head was still numb.)

No swelling so far in the face. Dr. P is using the headband as well as anti-swelling medications. He says he gets very little swelling these days.

No real pain at all during the operation, but a LOT of pain around midnight, but finally fell asleep with meds and no pain except for a slight headache since I woke up. Wish I had had some hydrocodone.

I never did hear those cutting styrofoam like sounds when they were making the incisions that others have mentioned--and frankly I am glad I didn't.

Anything else you want to know at this point?

6301054923_B26806F71B69B265369DF2DF9CFEBFD9.jpg.thumb 5301054923_00C450FDD032A90D959958980A4E9D5E.jpg.thumb

--

1st HT with Dr. Damkerng Pathomvanich, Bangkok, Thailand - 18 JUL 07 - 3300 grafts (FUT) - US$6,930

2st HT with Dr. Pathuri Madhu, Hyderabad, India - 31 JUL 10 - 2249 grafts (FUT) - US$2,200

3rd HT with Dr. Pathuri Madhu, Hyderabad, India - 26 JUL 11 - 320 grafts (FUE) touch up - US$0

My Hair Loss Weblog

My opinions are my own. I am not paid by, nor do I receive any benefits from ANY hair-related website, clinic, or doctor for my posts.

Well, this is me, one day after my visit to Dr. Damkerng Pathomvanich.

Of course I know nothing about results, but the experience itself was wonderful. The service levels here in Thailand are VERY high as I was told to expect. His staff is lovely in every sense of the word. He's a funny guy. There are two assistant physicians and Dr. P supervises the whole thing, doing the important parts personally. And yes, they really do massage you during the procedure. At one point I think it was an 8-hand massage! They bring you snacks and dinner afterward (you order what you want). I had Pad Thai.

My only disappointment was that we only got 3300 grafts and I was hoping for 4000. My donor density is apparently a bit lower than average--though still good quality. (And maybe not enough laxity in the back to take enough? Not sure. I didn't do much in the way of scalp exercises due to traveling so much over the past several months--maybe that was part of the issue.) I would have needed at least two operations for complete coverage anyway--they estimated around 8000. So I will still have a bald spot in the back. Apparently, I would have anyway, the extras would just have gone toward making the spot smaller.

(As an aside, I also had LASIK here and it was almost exactly half the price it was in the USA--and the same incredible level of service that seems to be the norm over here--foot massage while waiting for the drops to take effect; meals brought to me. Drink service. They used the new waveform LASIK, too. The results after 36 hours are incredible. No pain, no redness, no dryness, no night starbursts and 20/25 vision already. Little hazy still, but better every hour. Close up vision to 5 feet is better than before. I love Thailand! Ok back to my hair...)

I got in at around 9:00. I was done by 18:30. They didn't require me to shave and I took that option, which he said slowed things down a bit.

I have a bit of bleeding in the back which you can see in one picture. They said that I could pat down any bleeding, but I decided to leave it alone and let them handle it at my checkup today. Bumped my head slightly leaving the taxi, but I think it was in the front (my head was still numb.)

No swelling so far in the face. Dr. P is using the headband as well as anti-swelling medications. He says he gets very little swelling these days.

No real pain at all during the operation, but a LOT of pain around midnight, but finally fell asleep with meds and no pain except for a slight headache since I woke up. Wish I had had some hydrocodone.

I never did hear those cutting styrofoam like sounds when they were making the incisions that others have mentioned--and frankly I am glad I didn't.

Anything else you want to know at this point?

6301054923_B26806F71B69B265369DF2DF9CFEBFD9.jpg.thumb 5301054923_00C450FDD032A90D959958980A4E9D5E.jpg.thumb

--

1st HT with Dr. Damkerng Pathomvanich, Bangkok, Thailand - 18 JUL 07 - 3300 grafts (FUT) - US$6,930

2st HT with Dr. Pathuri Madhu, Hyderabad, India - 31 JUL 10 - 2249 grafts (FUT) - US$2,200

3rd HT with Dr. Pathuri Madhu, Hyderabad, India - 26 JUL 11 - 320 grafts (FUE) touch up - US$0

My Hair Loss Weblog

My opinions are my own. I am not paid by, nor do I receive any benefits from ANY hair-related website, clinic, or doctor for my posts.

I don't have the most refined eye at the mo' (plus the laptop I'm on has terrible clarity icon_smile.gif), but it looks like your doctor used "ultra-refined FUT".

You explained your experience very well; my only question is how you came about choosing Dr. Pathomvanich -- I assume you have permanent residence in Thailand (?). Personally, I've often fantasized about moving to Thailand and if I were to ever move outside of the U.S. I think Thailand very well would be my destination!

Interesting usage of "the headband", I've never seen that used before.

Congrats, and GL!

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

Originally posted by thanatopsis_awry:

I don't have the most refined eye at the mo' (plus the laptop I'm on has terrible clarity icon_smile.gif), but it looks like your doctor used "ultra-refined FUT".

You explained your experience very well; my only question is how you came about choosing Dr. Pathomvanich -- I assume you have permanent residence in Thailand (?). Personally, I've often fantasized about moving to Thailand and if I were to ever move outside of the U.S. I think Thailand very well would be my destination!

Interesting usage of "the headband", I've never seen that used before.

Congrats, and GL!

I actually live in Florida but work in Asia for most of the summer.

Dr. Pathomvanich is easily the most popular Doc over here and many of the local TV personalities and politicians use him. (Not just from Thailand but all over Asia.) His waiting list is several months long, so if you ever thought about using him, be sure to plan ahead. (You should see some of the work he's done on male to female transsexuals. WOW!)

He has actually pioneered a few techniques that are now being used by the top Docs in the US--especially in the area of donor hair transsection. In fact he has given joint seminars with Jerry Wong of H&W who has been an observer at his clinic.

Bonus: price is about half of the prices in the US--somewhere around $2.25/graft depending on the Bhat/Dollar exchange rate.

I'd love to live here year round myself. I love the people and the culture. I pacify myself with annual trips.

Thanks for the well-wishes.

--

My Hair Loss Weblog

Looks very nice, Tom. Congrats!

You got a massage during your procedure? That's sweet! icon_biggrin.gif Who gave you the massage? The technicians? How on earth did they keep your head steady while they were giving you the massage?

Please post your progress in the coming months. Do you have any pics of your donor area?

Heal well, Tom. Keep a hat on while in Bangkok. The sun can be pretty harsh there so don't get burnt.

Originally posted by rp1979:

Looks very nice, Tom. Congrats!

You got a massage during your procedure? That's sweet! icon_biggrin.gif Who gave you the massage? The technicians?

Not the ones that were working on me. I think they use the nurses and maybe have a few therapists on staff. And, yeah, sweet is just about the right word... especially combined with the 4 Valium tabs they gave me. The time flew by. It wasn't difficult in the slightest.

How on earth did they keep your head steady while they were giving you the massage?

The massage was slow--not like the traditional Thai massage where they pull you around.

Please post your progress in the coming months. Do you have any pics of your donor area?

Heal well, Tom. Keep a hat on while in Bangkok. The sun can be pretty harsh there so don't get burnt.

They took pics, but I can't take any yet because of the headband. I will post some as soon as I have them. He did the closure--tripto-something--in which the hair grows through the scar. I saw some recent photos of patients that had been reshaved for a second procedure a year later and I could not see a scar unless I looked extremely closely. I don't think I would have noticed it if it had not been pointed out to me.

--

My Hair Loss Weblog

Tom,

Congratulations on your HT.

Post op work looks nice and clean.

Just wondering...

Where is the blood coming from? Is the blood coming from one of the incisions in the recipient area or from the donor area? It's hard to tell by the picture.

Keep us posted.

Bill

Originally posted by Bill:

Where is the blood coming from? Is the blood coming from one of the incisions in the recipient area or from the donor area? It's hard to tell by the picture.

Bill

When I went in for my 1 day checkup, the doc said that I lost one graft. Maybe when I bumped my head getting out of the taxi. I knew I bumped it, but I couldn't tell how hard because the anesthesia still hadn't worn off. Fortunately it was just one. I was lucky I think.

FYI: Still no swelling AT ALL. No black eyes. This headband thing combined with whatever anti swelling meds the Doc adds to the local anesthesia really seem to work well.

I'm going in for my day 2 checkup now. They are also going to shampoo my hair.

--

My Hair Loss Weblog

Dr. Pathomvanich is easily the most popular Doc over here and many of the local TV personalities and politicians use him. (Not just from Thailand but all over Asia.) His waiting list is several months long, so if you ever thought about using him, be sure to plan ahead. (You should see some of the work he's done on male to female transsexuals. WOW!)

Uh.. Tom.... sure glad you had a good time buddy, everything looks real nice at this point.

I, uh, hope you didn't try to date any of the male to female patients why you were there?

You seem pretty knowledgeable......... =)

LOL!!!!!!!!!!! (I kill me sometimes!!!!1)

J

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Originally posted by the B spot:

I, uh, hope you didn't try to date any of the male to female patients why you were there?

J

LOL! No! He had a photo--which is also on his web site (but much smaller). Frankly, though, it would have been tough to tell once he was done with him/her. I attached the photo. Check out her new hairline... can you tell that's not a natural born woman in the second picture?

By the way--you will be glad to know that he is updating the web site with higher res pics and they will be divided into categories by race--asian/caucasian/etc. He's using a web designer that has a waiting list and his site is like third in line now.

pic04_1.jpg.96b23ebb1737ebad5df8ae98c78ba30b.jpg

--

My Hair Loss Weblog

Originally posted by creepingback:

Hey, tom

Your experience sounds as if everything went well...congrats! Did you have it done at Bumrungrad or at Dr. paths clinic?

I did it at the clinic, and believe me, there is no reason NOT to do it there. The facilities are great. I mean yes, it is important to your self esteem that this go right, but it is still minor surgery after all. It's not like you are going to have a heart attack on the table and they are going to need to pull out a heart/lung machine.

I will say that I had two visits with Dr. P at Bumrungrad because he was there at the time and the place is nicer than 95% of the hospitals I've been in in the USA. It's full of foreigners--including many oil rich Saudis and their entourages.

--

My Hair Loss Weblog

I originally was going to have my procedure done at the clinic but after arriving and having my consultation at the hospital they informed me it would be done at the hospital.. which wouldn't have been my first choose as the cost jumped another $1000 due to hospital fees, If I need a second HT I would prefer to have it done at his clinic.

Uh.. Tom.... sure glad you had a good time buddy, everything looks real nice at this point.

Hahahaha....I forgot about that guy!

Bill