dying your hair before a transplant good idea?

hey guys i have blonde hair but am thinking about dying it black soon. Will this cause any problems if i get a ht this summer? Also would it be bad to re-dye my hair black or whatever like 4 months post op after the hair starts growing in to make it blend it in better?

hey guys i have blonde hair but am thinking about dying it black soon. Will this cause any problems if i get a ht this summer? Also would it be bad to re-dye my hair black or whatever like 4 months post op after the hair starts growing in to make it blend it in better?

Mr. I,

If you're natural hair is blonde, are you fair complected? It seemed curious as to why you desire to dye your hair black unless you are darker complected.

If in fact you are fair skinned, the darker hair color will creat a very wide "hair-to-scalp" contrast and your hairloss may be alot more noticable.

It is generally okay to dye your hair pre-operatively as long as you utilize a product which does not contain the harsh chemicals like peroxide, chlorine, etc. Then again it is generally okay to dye post-operatively as long as your epidermis is "completely healed".

Be sure to ask your doctor of choice for their opinion and what their patient experience has been. A dermatologist or two can also provide you some insight.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

I am also a little curious as to why you would choose to dye your hair black as opposed to your natural blonde. Black hair would be much more of a contrast between your scalp and hair and would make it much more obvious that you are thinning. Of course, its your preference either way so if you are going to dye your hair I would consult your physician and see what he/she thinks your time frame should be. Also, Gill and Smoothy's advice seems right on too.

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

• 3 weeks later...

I guess if you're naturally blonde, you could get one advantage from dying your existing hair black....you will be able to see the new grafts easier when they start to grow.

Hey guys -

I have a question. I am 6 months from my first HT. I am dark black hair, light skin. Next week I am planning on dying my hair to light brown/hazel to make thinning look less obvious. Do you think there could be any complications with my new grafts growing? I know there shouldn't be since it's been 6 months since my HT, but I just want your opinion before I do it.

KG

kg007,

IMO, there really should be no problem at this point post-op, just refrain from using the dyes with harsh chemicals.

It will be interesting to hear back from you regarding the more narrow contrast by lightening your hair color. Do you use any topical applications such as Toppik, etc?

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

I have used dermmatch in the past. But it does not look so natural since my thinning is in crown. And I comb my hair to the right, I have a path all the way back to the crown. So when I use dermmatch, it does not look so natural. I think it looks very natural on people who comb hair straight back.

But my new grafts are coming in nicely now. I am 6 months from my HT (1500 grafts). Things are getting better. I am excited myself to see how it would look in lighter hair since I never dyed my hair.

I will keep you posted.

KG