Five days post-op, scabs/crusts coming off

Not all of them, but some scabs and crusts are coming off at the slightest touch. Just lightly brushing my fingers over the recipient area will easily produce some flaking. Am I OK, or do I need to be extra-careful?

I should add: I've been using the graftcyte treatments to keep the area moist, pretty regularly, and I typically wear a hat at work. I work at a busy hospital, and I figure that it is probably in my best interest to keep everything covered up, with God-knows-what floating around in there.

There has been no bleeding. Just a little itchy at times, and these crusts are flaking off.

Not all of them, but some scabs and crusts are coming off at the slightest touch. Just lightly brushing my fingers over the recipient area will easily produce some flaking. Am I OK, or do I need to be extra-careful?

I should add: I've been using the graftcyte treatments to keep the area moist, pretty regularly, and I typically wear a hat at work. I work at a busy hospital, and I figure that it is probably in my best interest to keep everything covered up, with God-knows-what floating around in there.

There has been no bleeding. Just a little itchy at times, and these crusts are flaking off.

Marko,

It's okay to have scabs falling off. Try to work on removing majority of your scabs during the shampoos. It will look like you have dandruff for a week or so. I don't think there's any need to continue using the graftcyte treatment after 5 days post op.

Speedy recovery and hair growth to you.

Dr. Bernstein: I got mine done by Daniel McGrath in Austin, TX. He's one of like two people here who does this. He is fellowship-trained in the procedure, and this seems to be almost all he does.

As for how good he is, I really don't know, as I have nothing to compare it to, but so far, so good. I do know that he does this all the time, so he's got plenty of practice.

I couldn't find any reviews on him on the internet, but with this sort of thing, I'd imagine that no news is good news. Anyway, he seems to be pretty good at this, and he was willing to work with me financially to get it all in under my budget, but still be thorough.

---------------------------------------

Janna: Thanks for the reply. The graftcyte treatment I'm using is the spray. I'm out of the 4x4's already. And even if there's no real reason to keep using the spray, what else am I going to do with it?

Is there any reason not to use the spray?

Thanks!

Okay, so I just took my first "real" shower, where I gently massaged the recipient area, used the conditioner, etc., and I have no more actual scabs whatsoever now.

I've got all the little hairs sticking straight up, and very minimal crusting. The underlying scalp is a little pink. Nothing that looks like dried blood though.

Any possible reason that I might be healing a little faster than expected? Or is this normal? I just keep reading about everyone crusting for weeks and weeks, but for me, on day six, it looks like the bulk of that may be behind me. Or will it come back?

Anyway, here are the possibilities I have come up with:

1. I'm super-intelligent, and my head receives an unusually large amount of blood-flow to run my unusually-powerful brain. A side-effect of this is that my scalp is able to heal quickly.

2. I'm super-stupid, and since my brain requires little blood-flow, the majority of the blood that goes to my head can be used to heal the scalp.

3. I'm a triathlete in a hot climate, meaning that my skin is going to be pretty well vascularized, for cooling and whatnot, so maybe I'm getting the benefits of that here.

4. Graftcyte speeds up this healing process, and I've used it pretty religiously.

Marko I'm gonna go with a combo of # 3 and 4. But I love the vast differences from # 1 and 2, I laughed my ass off! Oh thats good stuff this site has missed in a while some good humor besides all the informative stuff. Freaking hillarious icon_cool.gif

You only live once...

OK Arrie, I just looked over your blog, and I have to say that you suffered from a problem similar to mine. I think our hair types are a little different, but same pattern of loss.

I am also not one of those people who would look good with a shaved/bald head, like Ed Harris or Sean Connery. I have shaved my head before, just for the hell of it, and I look like an alien. Picture a pasty-white Sam Cassell.

I got in the neighborhood of 1500 grafts. They didn't give me an exact number. The doc just said he was going to cut me a deal, and that it would be in the area of 1500.

The techs mentioned that I had "a lot of 3's", whatever that means, relative to the other grafts. They didn't give me an exact number. They just kind of cut and poked on me, and went to town.

So far, so good.

Marko,

Welcome to our forum community and congratulations on your recent hair transplant surgery.

It is quite common for patients to heal quickly in the recipient area. If you take a look at my hair restoration journey below and follow the links to my third surgery, you will see by day 6 and 7, most of the scabs were gone with minimal redness.

I also believe (and it was formerly confirmed by Dr. Feller in another post) that being physically fit and an overall healthy lifestyle can contribute to fast healing. Graftcyte may also be helping.

Now don't let your super intelliectual brain, superior athleticism, and soon to be new head of hair, coerce you to look down on the rest of us average folks icon_smile.gif

Best wishes,

Bill

Marko,

Like a Sam Cassell or an Alien huh?!?!?! And I resemble you huh??? Damn your good thats probably exactly what I would look like too... icon_cool.gif A lot of threes right behind the hairline and in the middle of your head will provide a great amount of coverage with minimal grafts, good for you!!! Who did you surgery?

You only live once...

Daniel McGrath did mine. I haven't been able to find anything about him, but he's one of like two people in Austin who does these procedures, and he does them all the time.

He was sympathetic to my cause (about to start medical school... early-30's career-change), and was willing to work with me on financing, as well as cut me a deal on the whole procedure.

Obviously, only time will tell how this turns out, but so far, I am optimistic. Maybe one day, I'll be doing these procedures myself.

Its fine-- just let the scabs come off naturally and dont assist them. I always tried to keep them moist with saline spray the first few days to limit the scabbing. Follow your docs instructions. Good luck.

SMOOTHY

HT-Shapiro

Propecia/Rogaine

MSM/Saw Palmetto

Nioxin

ZRII

• 2 weeks later...

First of all, this is the only hair transplant I've ever had, so I have nothing to compare it to.

Next of all, it is still way early. Right now, I am less than three weeks post-op, so I probably won't have an idea for at least a few months what this is actually going to end up looking like.

Having said that, I have no complaints so far. Dr. McGrath is professional and friendly, and he has been extremely helpful to me. The procedure went smoothly, and I haven't had any particularly bad post-op side-effects or anything.

• 6 months later...
Originally posted by Marko Ramius:

First of all, this is the only hair transplant I've ever had, so I have nothing to compare it to.

Next of all, it is still way early. Right now, I am less than three weeks post-op, so I probably won't have an idea for at least a few months what this is actually going to end up looking like.

Having said that, I have no complaints so far. Dr. McGrath is professional and friendly, and he has been extremely helpful to me. The procedure went smoothly, and I haven't had any particularly bad post-op side-effects or anything.

I am about to have a transplant by dr McGrath. Please tell me how your results went? Thank you!!