Eyelash transplant

gillenator

I received a call this afternoon from a female patient who has little to no eyelashes left on both eyelids. I have only dealt with this situation one time over the years and the results were not favorable. The HT surgeon involved with that case did emphasize to the patient that he had only performed this procedure several times, and he could not guarantee the outcome and actually attempted to discourage her from pursuing it, so presently she is not upset with the doctor but does have some regrets.

I have mentioned false eyelashes as a more practical resolve but she asked me to check around and does not want to join in on any forums. Have any of you or do any of you know of a good surgeon who has/had good results with eyelash procedures? Thank you in advance.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

I received a call this afternoon from a female patient who has little to no eyelashes left on both eyelids. I have only dealt with this situation one time over the years and the results were not favorable. The HT surgeon involved with that case did emphasize to the patient that he had only performed this procedure several times, and he could not guarantee the outcome and actually attempted to discourage her from pursuing it, so presently she is not upset with the doctor but does have some regrets.

I have mentioned false eyelashes as a more practical resolve but she asked me to check around and does not want to join in on any forums. Have any of you or do any of you know of a good surgeon who has/had good results with eyelash procedures? Thank you in advance.

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

I read somewher that chinese doctors are good at eyelash transplants as the chinese have the problem of small or less eyelashes more often.

Cant remeber having heard the doctor's name though.

Hey baldcasonova,

How are you doing these days? I agree but this patient mentioned to me that she's been wearing false eyelashes for years and is a hassle. I then mentioned to her that it's very possible that long term wear of the false ones may have contributed to her loss on the edges of her eyelids but she stated that she is asian and one of her sisters has the same sparcity since birth. So does her mother. She's been wearing false ones for so many years, she's very concerned that people who know her will be shocked not to see those thick eyelashes if she quits wearing them, namely her husband. I really feel for her man, I mean she was very emotional to tears about it. Still I had to warn her about the risks of surgical restoration including the swelling involved post-operatively.

Thank you everyone who has contributed and made recommendations! We will investigate this further now that we received some input. icon_smile.gif

Gillenator

That is tough. I have heard of it being done. I have heard of the eyebrows being a procedure that is rising in popularity lately. I would be interested to know exactly what tranpires during the actual surgery. Does the physician have to pull the eyelid away from the eye in order to perform it? I would think that trying to make the incisions and insert the grafts on the eyelid while it was shut would be terribly difficult.

I admire any physician that pulled it off, that is for sure!

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

Thanks Robert,

From what I know the surgeon places a cup directly against the eyeball. The eyelids then hold the cup in place, and also hold the eye open. Think of it as an oversize contact lens with curvatures that hold the lid of the eye. The follicules extracted are sewn with a surgical needle #4 into the edge of the eyelid and situated between the natural hairs already there. I could be wrong on the needle size and I imagine that could vary depending on the thickness of the eyelid and the spacing between existing hairs.

The swelling post-operatively can be monumentous including black eyes. Obviously the patient would be in need of an attendant or other assistance to get around until the swelling subsided.

I believe the donor hair is chosen behind the ear or other area(s) to best parrallel the hair characteristics.

One drawback. The need to trim the eyelashes as they grow in the future. I suppose it can be learned with practice. It must be awefully hard to keep from blinking! Ultimately, it is still the private and personal decision of the "informed" patient. Thanks again.

Gillenator

• 2 years later...

Actually, the results of eyelash transplantation can be quite consistent. Originally used for trauma patients (burns, car-accidents) and self-inflicted injury (trichotillomania), today eyelash transplants are being sought more often for women who simply want longer, thicker and more dense lashes. When I was asked to be on the faculty at the recent ISHRS Regional Live Surgery Workshop on Eyelash Transplantation, I demonstrated a gentle technique that implants pairs of follicles in a single stroke. This allows more follicles to be implanted per session into the lid. Here's an average result from the procedure:

eyelash-transplant_bauman_150x225.jpg

For more before and after photos, videos and news regarding the eyelash transplant procedures I routinely perform, please visit www.eyelash-transplant.com

Sincerely,

Dr. Bauman

Alan J. Bauman, MD

Medical Director

www.baumanmedical.com

Boca Raton, FL

561-394-0024

Alan J. Bauman, M.D.

Medical Director

Bauman Medical Group

Boca Raton, FL USA

http://www.baumanmedical.com

Re: swelling and bruising,

I've noticed that with the use of smaller instruments and careful anesthesia, there is actually very little swelling and only minimal bruising (if any) with the procedure. Some women have absolutely NO bruising whatsoever. This was true of the patient from the Los Angeles workshop. Normally, we would take 'after' photos when the results are grown in; with her, the after photos (seen on CNN and ABC news) were taken immediately after the procedure.

Sincerely,

Dr. Bauman

Medical Director

Bauman Medical Group

Alan J. Bauman, M.D.

Medical Director

Bauman Medical Group

Boca Raton, FL USA

Dr. Bauman, I presume?

Are we to assume that you perform eyelash transplants as well?

I'm just kidding Doc, thanks for posting the info.

Now, for some of you guys who need some eyelash work (Bill, Hairbank, Cousin It, NervousNelly, Pat) I suggest you give Dr. Bauman a call.

icon_biggrin.gif

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

B spot-

LOL icon_biggrin.gif!!! I'm going to ask my wife and see what she thinks?? icon_wink.gif

Actually, my problem is the eyebrow (instead of having eyebrows)...........darn thing is so thick I have to shave it in the middle about as much as facial hair!!!!

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

B Spot,

Thanks for the suggestion. After a little thought I am going to scrap the idea of 2nd HT and shoot for the eyelash transplant. I figure that with those babies it will draw peoples attention away from ever noticing I had plugs. icon_biggrin.gif In all seriousness though, I'm no expert on eyelashes but those suckers are pretty freaky aren't they?

NN

Dr.Cole,1989. ??graftcount

Dr. Ron Shapiro. Aug., 2007

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

• 3 weeks later...
Originally posted by NervousNelly:

In all seriousness though, I'm no expert on eyelashes but those suckers are pretty freaky aren't they?

Here's a before and after photo of eyelash transplants w/ no mascara (less freaky?). The other photo showed the lengths quite long... SR_Rlash_599x900.jpg

check http://www.eyelash-transplant.com for more info.

Alan J. Bauman, M.D.

Medical Director

Bauman Medical Group

Boca Raton, FL USA

You're right doc, the other photo looked strange because of the length and the mascara. If I were you I wouldn't use it much for promotion. Just my opinion. icon_smile.gif

NN

Dr.Cole,1989. ??graftcount

Dr. Ron Shapiro. Aug., 2007

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

Originally posted by NervousNelly:

You're right doc, the other photo looked strange because of the length and the mascara. If I were you I wouldn't use is much for promotion. Just my opinion. icon_smile.gif

Thanks for the feedback. Women love to 'show off' the length of their new lashes. As you can imagine, sometimes I have to beg my male patients to cut their scalp transplants too...

-Dr. B.

Alan J. Bauman, M.D.

Medical Director

Bauman Medical Group

Boca Raton, FL USA

• 2 months later...