Worried about swelling

Just wanted to get your thoughts on swelling after a hair transplant. I am considering having my hair transplant then travelling back home the next afternoon or night.

My flight is over 17 hrs and would like to know what happens if I start to swell up during my flight? Are there any measures I can take to reduce this risk? Are there any risks if I do start to swell up during flight? And lastly is there any pain or discomfort associated with the swelling after a HT?

Any advice would be great. Thanks.

Just wanted to get your thoughts on swelling after a hair transplant. I am considering having my hair transplant then travelling back home the next afternoon or night.

My flight is over 17 hrs and would like to know what happens if I start to swell up during my flight? Are there any measures I can take to reduce this risk? Are there any risks if I do start to swell up during flight? And lastly is there any pain or discomfort associated with the swelling after a HT?

Any advice would be great. Thanks.

From what I read on here and from my own experience, swelling normally happens around day 3 and lasts for a few days only. It was not painful but I did look funny until the swelling subsided. My doctor gave me some post op meds and one of these were pills to help alleviate some of the swelling. You'll probably get the same from your HT doc. Unless you can stay until the swelling goes away(approx 5 days) the better plan is to leave for home on the very next day after surgury. That way you should get home before the swelling starts. You may want to check with your HT physician to see what he recommends.

All the best with your HT!

I had some pain on the night of surgery. your swellng will occur on 3rd day and will be back to normal in 5-6 days. you should be ok for leaving the next day. to avoid sever sweeling rest your head on the chair and tilt it back at the airport or during the flight if possible.

Good Luck

#1 HT by Dr. Rahal on 08-21-08

Strip 26.6 cm

Total 4308 grafts

-1116 single grafts

-2287 double grafts

-898 triple grafts

-7 quad grafts

Total Hairs: 8412

Medications:

Minoxidil 5%

Finasteride 1 mg daily

I had very slight swelling (almost unnoticeable) in my upper forehead the morning after my surgery. Also on my third day, I again had hardly noticeable slight swelling on my forehead. On both occasions, the swelling did not last for more than a few hours.

Fyi, my doctor gave me a medicine to reduce swelling, that I was supposed to take for the first 4 days. I also occasionally applied ice packs on my forehead for the first 2-3 days. Hope this helps.

During my surgery, I believe I received a steroidal injection that greatly reduces post operative inflammation. It worked, I experienced very mild swelling for the first couple days.

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Wong

715 grafts at Bosley, 2004

3238 grafts by Dr.True, Mar 2008

3393 grafts by Dr. Wong, Jul 2009

Take a chance,

the swelling as others said is usually between day 3 and 6.I was travelling the third day itself.Absolutely no pain but yeah one does look funny with the puffed eyes ;-)

My doctor recommended sleeping in an upright position for the first few days to avoid swelling.

Dr. will give you pain and swelling meds-- take per directions and before your flight back. You will sleep through most of it.

Also, I used a ICE PACK on my forehead and donor site night following surgery-- it helped with swelling as well as some pain relief.

SMOOTHY

Dr Shapiro

Propecia/Rogaine xtra

MSM/Saw Pallmetto/Zinc

Nioxin Shampoo line

Zrii 3oz a day

This really depends on where you're having your grafts placed. I have had four procedures. The first thee involed just the top of my hairline and mid-scalp area. All three of these procedures were only around 600 grafts. About 3 days after the second procedure, I noticed my forhead was swelling. I called my Dr. and he prescribed an oral steriod (methlyprednisone) and this made the swelling do down virtually overnight. This last procedure was about 1300 grafts and involved some temple work. I just knew I was going to have a swelling problem so I asked for the methlyprednisone. He told me to call him "if" I had any problems. After reminding him I had swelling on a procedure half the size he finally gave in and gave me the drug. I noticed very slight swelling on my temple areas that were easley covered by a baseball cap. My advice would be to request aggressively request something beforehand. With the preventative meds and a baseball cap I was walking and driving around the very next day after my procedure and nobody noticed a thing different about me(except I usually don't wear a baseball cap.) I doubt anyone suspected I had a baseball cap on due to a transplant.