Please help a newb!!!!!!

Unclebeets

I've been on Walmart brand minoxidil 5% now for about 11 months, I only use it for the the front of my head or the receeding hairling. I'm 25 and have had slight thinning of my hairline for about 3 years now. About two months ago I moved to a new city and started a new professional job, needless to say I'm super stressed out and I'm losing all the hair I have gained and maybe some more. Is this normal and will it come back once I settle in and relax a bit or do I have to start Finasteride (Propecia). I have resisted finasteride until now because I'm afraid of the side effects and I got very good results from Minoxidil 5%.

Anyway, I would appreciate any insight from anybody who is familiar with this situation.

Thanks

I've been on Walmart brand minoxidil 5% now for about 11 months, I only use it for the the front of my head or the receeding hairling. I'm 25 and have had slight thinning of my hairline for about 3 years now. About two months ago I moved to a new city and started a new professional job, needless to say I'm super stressed out and I'm losing all the hair I have gained and maybe some more. Is this normal and will it come back once I settle in and relax a bit or do I have to start Finasteride (Propecia). I have resisted finasteride until now because I'm afraid of the side effects and I got very good results from Minoxidil 5%.

Anyway, I would appreciate any insight from anybody who is familiar with this situation.

Thanks

HairBeThere,

I must admit that prior to my consultation, I had the same reservations regarding Finasteride (Propecia). Not just because of the possible side effects, but rather I'm a natural herb kind of guy. During the consultation, I was asked if I was interested in going on Propecia. My original thought was; if it is prescribed by a doctor, then it must be man made thus instant reservations came into my mind. After both Gail, and Dr. Keene described the possible side effects, and the study relating to the subjects tested, age, etc. It became apparent to me that this medication in the dose that you take it in 1.25mm, would not be detrimental to my health. After all, for an enlarged prostrate issue, you are prescribed 5mm. Dr. Keene made it perfectly clear to me that she has no ties nor gets any kind of kick back from the manufacture of Propecia. After swallowing my natural herb pride, I agreed to the prescription. I've taken the medication for two weeks now, and it is way to early to tell of any hair replenishment is taken place. But as far as any of the published side effects goes, everything is operating as efficiently as it ever has- Bonzo

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

First I just wanted to share that I've been using Propecia for over 10 months now and have experience 0 side effects. I second the fact that the studies on Propecia's website show that very few men have side effects, but of course it can happen. None for me, and I'm 10 months in. so hopefully that gives you some comfort.

I have some reservations about Proscar...and I've seen one or two other members from either this site or another post the same concern. using Proscar, though obviously over 4 days are getting 5mm, and though it averages out to 1.25 mm which is .25 mm more than with Propecia a day, there are other concerns. The proscar pill pay contain 5mm of Finasteride, but most likely it's not evenly spread out through the pill. That being said, one day you may be getting 0mm of Finasteride (problem), and the second day you may be getting 3mm of Finasteride (overdose though possibly not harmful...I'm not a doctor so i couldn't tell you that). But if you put it all together, you may not be getting enough finasteride in one day to stay in your system when needed, and other days you may be taking too much. Proscar isn't actually designed for MPB, though obviously people use it. I can't attest to whether or not it's as effective as Propecia, but this is just one of my concerns for those who use this drug. What are some other's thoughts on this?

If I could do it all over again, I would have gotten on Propecia when i was 22 years old and minoxodil at the same time. Minoxodil 5% I believe was working for me for a bit, and then as foolish as I was, I stopped....I don't even remember why. My hairloss started to continue and then about 1 year later I resumed Minoxodil 5%. Well, it started itching my scalp which made me stop due to excessive itching. Then I tried a number of scam products due to lack of experience and research like Folliguard, and Nism, and that was the extend of it. i wasted about 2 years on those products and my hair only got worse. then I tried a minoxodil 2% (didn't itch my scalp), revivogen combination which just made my hair one big goopy mess because of all the topicals i was putting on. Revivogen had no effect on me and my hairloss only got worse and worse. It wasn't until about 10 months ago that my hair was already really thin, practically gone, that I read about HTs, Propecia, etc. So I have taken the plunge after awhile of researching both into the HT world since I was deemed a good candidate at a NW5a, and got on Propecia to try to preserve the existing hair I have. 1 HT gave me decent results, but now I just finished number 2. Number 2 looks more promising because the number of grafts were increased from 1600 to 2249 and Propecia seemingly is helping me maintain my existing hair.

All that to say, what I learned was...get on Propecia as soon as possible and use it with Minoxodil.

Bill

Originally posted by Bill:

If I could do it all over again, I would have gotten on Propecia when i was 22 years old and minoxodil at the same time. Minoxodil 5% I believe was working for me for a bit, and then as foolish as I was, I stopped....I don't even remember why.

Bill

Man, that sounds familiar. I did the same thing. Doesn't take long for the hair to fall out after stopping Minoxidil, does it? I just started Propecia yesterday and Minoxidil about a week ago. If I could do it all over again, I'd start at around just the same time as you.

Now my only goal is to delay the need for a HT as much as possible.

Regimen: 1 propecia taken in the morning, 3 shots 5% minoxodil twice a day around the hairline, 1% Nizoral several times a week

• 1 year later...
Guest prabu

Hai unclebeets,

Was minoxidil is working on forehead effectively, have u got any positive result.

expecting your reply ..

prabu-

Please look at the "Posted" date in the top left corner of each post. This thread was last active 8/19/05. Of all the posters in this thread I think Bill is the only one still active. icon_smile.gif

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Good point Bill - you hairy beast!! Peace, bro icon_cool.gif

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

• 2 years later...

I have been using Propecia for 2 1/2 years now. While I show no side effects I just found out when getting blood work for life ins. that I had high liver function. So I have to stop using it. I loved propecia, it stopped the loss right away, and after a year and a half of use it brough my hair back to about 85%.. say a 2 inch circle on the top of my head to about a dime. So sad now i have to stop, so I am hoping that rogaine will at least keep it where it is. I am happy with what i have now.

Soooo, all i have to say is that everyone that say they "have no side effects" be carefull, you dont feel a high liver function..

and if you dont have any issues with propecia, give it more then a year, i didnt see a great change for a year and a half. and after two and a half i see it getting better and better all the time.. my wife notices.