Creatine & hairloss?

YoungGuy

This is a question for all you folks who work out.

I've been working out regularly myself (closing in on 2 years - amazing how fast it went by) and am thinking about trying creatine. However, I saw one poster write that it has accelerated his hair loss.

Can anyone else confirm or deny this from personal experience?

Good Question...I have wondered the same. But is there any actual proof creatine can lead to hair loss? I even asked my HT Doctor the same thing and he said No, but I have read some people on here who say different. Does anyone REALLY know?

That's why I posted; I figured if anyone had empirical evidence, it would be folks who post here. Especially since that workout thread last week where everyone posted their topless pics icon_eek.gif

Cmon guys, someone say creatine is safe so that I can post my own workout pics in a few months! icon_biggrin.gif

I've started using it and will continue for a month, then assess results. So far, though, I've gotten some shedding which definitely wasn't happening before.

Further research seems to indicate that creatine raises the body's testosterone levels; this may be counteracting the finasteride.

well lets see how to say this

currently i am 20 and i took creatine for approx 4-5 months when i was 17-18.

and hair loss wasnt that big to me but i beleive it may have caused me to have some hair loss as my hair loss isint so bad as of now (or atleast i beleive)

but the results from creatine are phenominal, i gained probobly 10 lbs in the first week or two of using it.

what i probobly recommend more is that you use protein supplements opposed to creatine.

creatine is also known to cause problems on the kidneys in long term effects.

i am not sure weather it caused me to lose hair or not but i guess after i learned that creatine can cause hair loss i guess i used it as a scapegoat

I'd advise people to stay clear of the links Style217 has posted above as it links up with several false "miracle cures".

Creotine does raise the body's testosterome levels from what I understand...but I can't confirm or deny anything further regarding hairloss. Perhaps some doctor insight on this would be helpful.

Bill

Don?‚??t know much of using creatine with bodybuilding / sport & fitness or workout but I know a guy who used STH/HGH(dangerous you turn into musscle apeman!) but his hairgrowth was wonderfull it went that thick that is was curling too!

New stamcells with synthetic HGH(human grow hormon!)? WARNING! I DONT SAY USE THIS!

I know guys who use testosteron and more

some have hairloss some dont have hairloss

even if the do more then 5 injections in a week!

I only noticed it with my eyes of the hairobservator! icon_wink.gif

Me was told creatine is keeping holding more water between the musscles ore something like that?

Greatings Hairobservator

From what I researched, creatine itself won't harm you. The body uses it to create muscle tissue; it does pull some water into your muscles (which are mostly water to begin with, anyway) which will make them appear bigger. It also increases recovery rate and energy levels so that you can work out more intensely.

Stopping its use will cause a weight loss as the muscles let go of the extra water creatine has been retaining. Still, if you've been able to train harder and you ate correspondingly, you will have gained more muscle than you would without it even after you stop the supplement.

It has also been shown to increase the level of testosterone in the body. This is not caused directly by creatine but by the body itself. From what I understand, testosterone is the hormone that tells the body: "grow more muscle!" and its level in increased because with creatine, you are ablt to train harder than you would be able to without it.

As far as I can tell, there's been no studies done on whether creatine raises the levels of DHT in the scalp. We all know that MPB is caused by a lack of resistance to DHT accrued in the sclp in hair for some people; it's genetic, some people have it, some don't. I suspect that for those who aren't genetically predisposed to lose their hair increasing DHT would not matter, while for those who are it would. This, to me, explains why some folks report increased shedding when using creating and some don't since it would appear to simply accelerate the process that would normally happen anyway.

So the big question is: does using creatine increase DHT levels in the scalp? And second, does taking finasteride counteract the increase, if indeed there is any?

=========================================

Now, the practical effects on yours truly. I've been taking creatine for 2 weeks now. Before I started, I've been taking 1.25 proscar daily for 2 months and had no shedding in my crown, which is the next problem area (I have a Feller HT coming in nicely in the front 1/3).

Before creatine: I had no shedding at all (by shedding I mean pulling on the hair and seeing if I can pull any out). I was able to pull out 1-2 hairs, which is what I get when I do the same thing on my donor area.

A week after: I had some shedding; I'd pull out 5-6 hairs at a time. I didn't like that! So I cut the dose of creatine by 1/2.

2 weeks after: shedding went away; I can pull out 1-2 hairs, sometimes 3. Seems to be largely normal. I'll post again in a week or two.

Hi

I took it and had no additional hairloss. Maybe it has to do with increased Testosterone

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

• 1 year later...

im 24 next week and have been using creatine for about 3 months, im just starting my rest period now, i have very long hair and a long beard (below the nipples). im paranoid about hair loss but thankfully cant see a change and am only loosing the same amount of hairs i used 2 before taking creatine.

Ive worked out for years ( naturally) and have never used the stuff and still lost my hair, LOL .

Im sure if some of the guys changed their workout routine and modified their diets they would see great changes in their body definition, solid hard muscle. My message is dump the drugs just work for it and work damn hard and youll get the desired results.He he he. icon_wink.gif

• 2 years later...

Hey This Is My True Experience About Creatine

I am 20 yrs old

I started working out 4 months ago when I was 100 kg

I worked out hard and lost 12 kg in about 3 months (Its True )

Then to further increase the intensity of workout and to have even more weight loss I decided to take Creatine supplements so I took Optimum Nutrition Creatine as directed on its Label

But I stopped it after 40 days as I experienced hair loss ( loss of about 100 hairs per day ) It started about 20-25 days after starting Creatine

Just now I have stopped taking it so I'll be posting effects of stopping Creatine on my hairs in 2 weeks

As for my weight I just gained 3 kg due to Creatine also suffered from mild diarrhea

I developed somewhat bloated appearance not the slim one I wanted

Everybody may not experience the exact same results like I did but I think a lot of extensive research must be done about Hair loss due to Creatine Supplements

So Its Best to Avoid It as no extensive research is done till date in this matter