Pimples and itching?

Hello all, I'm almost 10 weeks out from my surgery and I've had pimples and itching on my head for a while now...is this common, could it be the minox? I'm hoping this is ok and if it is what can I do to aleviate the problem. This is my second surgery and I really don't remember having this problem during the first surgery.

Any input would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

I had some pimples following two prior transplants and was told that it is a common thing. I was told it was akin to ingrown hairs and not to worry. I'm 5 weeks out from my last procedure and already have had 3 or 4 pimples.

Thanks, that's what I've been reading also but it doesn't seem to matter how much reassurance that you get this in between time (1 month to 5 months)always keep you thinking, did I do the right thing, is this time different,etc...

Anyways thanks, and that's why this site is so important not only does is provide valuable information it also doubles as a support group!

Originally posted by tumbleweed:

...it doesn't seem to matter how much reassurance that you get this in between time (1 month to 5 months)always keep you thinking, did I do the right thing, is this time different,etc...

I know what you're talking about. I'm almost two months post-op and I look worse than ever!... shedding, redness, etc. I think I even alienated my doctor a bit by suggesting some concern over the procedure's density and graft counts. Knowing myself and my ability to stress, I could've predicted this!

'06/2500 w/Dr. Keene

'07/1500 w/Dr. Keene

My Hair Loss Weblog

Looking at your blog, 2500 for your total area will probably still be a little thin, but depending how she spread it you could look fine. 3500-4000 I think would have given you much better results.

Originally posted by Midiman:

I know what you're talking about. I'm almost two months post-op and I look worse than ever!... shedding, redness, etc. I think I even alienated my doctor a bit by suggesting some concern over the procedure's density and graft counts. Knowing myself and my ability to stress, I could've predicted this!

Give it time Midiman, I've been through this once before and believe me it's a loooong 6 months. Depending on what your original expectations were, but I think if they were realistic you'll be happy with your results.

As for the redness and just overall shitty looking mug that you and I presently have it's just a matter of time before this clears up. If you're experiencing lots of acne talk to your Doc about some meds to clear that stuff up.

Keep your stick on the ice!

Hi,

Yep...have had both! The scalp-pizza effect has pretty much gone away at this point (2.5 months, give or take), and was never that bad; the itching continues here and there. I have simply been using my usual shampoos...no Rogaine or other treatments.

Benjamin

ahhh yes! there are many of us at or around the ugly duckling 2 month stage!! I am there as well, but hopefully in the next month or so it will start slowly improving, I remember this feeling and the anxiety I was going thru last time and I am experiencing it all over again! Haven't had more than one or two pimples so far so that's good! I say onward to october!!! icon_smile.gif

Number of you seem to be affected by the "pimples".

Try applying a very warm compress(moist cloth) to the affected red areas couple times a day. This will bring about the puss like lesion to pop. A little antibiotic ointment (Bacitracin) should heal it right up. If they persist, ask your doctor if you can get antibiotics to help it clear up. One or two course of the meds should take care of it.

Midiman,

Try not to stress over the numbers, remember? You've gone through with the procedure, you did your homework and went to a great facility. The waiting is hard, but what more can you do at this point. Stay positive. Hang in there, it'll get much much better!

hi Janna:

Your signature of Working for te Shapiro Medical Group makes you the perfect person to ask this to. Since a lot of people in here seem to have a lot of redness etc for several months.. is it possible to wear a toupee during this time period. I persoanally am considering a transplant but wearing a piece until I am sure how much hair will fall out, and how much I will have left for donor hair. Since "hair cloning" is still off somewhere in the future I want to make sure I cover all bases

We do not encourage anyone with a recent HT to wear a hair system. However, from past patients who find it difficult to let go of a system until the hairs start going in, they have worn it minimally as possible (ie, just for work, not more than 8 hrs each day). I have not heard any negative feedback regarding growth from these patients. If you have any existing natural hair coverage on top, you could use Dermatch or Toppiks to help disguise the surgery.

The redness from surgery typically fades away around 10 days after surgery. The redness discussed on this thread is something different. Not everyone gets folliculitis, and it's red spots rather than general redness on the recipient area.

I just had 2200 folicles planted in the crown of my head July 28 2006 in Mpls MN "www.reesehair.com". It took about 5-6 hours. Was a little hard sleeping the next couple of nights but got much better as the week went on. Most pain was the suture line and sleeping on the back of my head. Bleeding was not a problem either was the pain on the crown. Just itching which tapered off and after 5-6 weeks is now itching. After some research...the glands are either begining to take blood or a new folicle is trying to poke through my skin. I have taken a needle and have had a good amount of puss and blood underneath that I just wipe with a wet tissue. That helps the discomfort and itching. I have had this last week about a dozen of these pimples and expect more as the glands take to their new position. A buddy of mine had his done about a year ago and looks great. Gave me a good recomendation and I just did everything in one day including the consultation. Darvaset did not do much for the initial pain but Vicadin worked lots better. Expect about 70% of the transplanted hairs to fall out within two months and tiny hairs starting to grow after two months. It looks like after 6 weeks I might have a few new hairs here and there. Looking forward to getting through another month....Dave

Yankezz55

Oh, Yankezz55, good luck with your HT....let us know how things are going..........also........has anyone else experienced the same itchy, pimple, puss and blood issue after 5 weeks?......I don't think it's all that bad. Mainly tells me there is definitely some activity going on up there....Dave

I will be at 3 months on the 23rd and am starting to see more and more thin hairs across my midscalp area. Starting to just look like I have thin wispy hair, trying not to get too excited though, still early. I also can feel quite a few stubble hairs across it as well which is also leading to a few more of those little pimples that are sore to the touch. They hurt a little but you just have to take it as progress and that there is activity going on, so onward with the pimples!!! icon_razz.gif