5 Day Post-Op Donor Strip Pain

I'm on my 5th day after having 3,400 grafts. The worst part seems to be the donor strip area which extends from ear to ear. There are 2-3 specific points along the incision which constantly ache. I expected to have some pain when sleeping (which I do!), but not a 24/7 headache. Is this typical and does it last much longer?

Also any advice on getting the dried blood out of my hair? I wash the back of my head twice a day baby shampoo but there are dried clumps of blood which are still there and painful when I try to scrub them.

I'm on my 5th day after having 3,400 grafts. The worst part seems to be the donor strip area which extends from ear to ear. There are 2-3 specific points along the incision which constantly ache. I expected to have some pain when sleeping (which I do!), but not a 24/7 headache. Is this typical and does it last much longer?

Also any advice on getting the dried blood out of my hair? I wash the back of my head twice a day baby shampoo but there are dried clumps of blood which are still there and painful when I try to scrub them.

For gods sake, don't scrub at your head/hair!

At day 10 or so, are you going back to have your staples or sutures removed? If so, your doc should tell you that you may start using your regular shampoo, which will help dissovle all that away.

I know baby shampoo sucks; it doesn't clean crap. But it's not aggressive, that is why you are using it.

At day five you should be treating your head/hair like gold. By all means do not scratch at, scrub or allow a full shower stream of water to land on your recipient area... though, in the donor area knock yourself-out this may help the pain by washing out any foreign particles and loosen the scabs. It worked for me. On the recipient zone use a plastic cup full of water to gently wash away the suds. (I continued to do that for 3 weeks)

For the next few days, you're going to have to live with that greasy mop. But, in no time-at-all it will be over.

As for the pain, I'm sure everyone is different (some heal quicker than others and vice-versa) but, unless you have something funky going on...I would say yes, it is normal. By headache you do mean pain in the donor area, right? If you have a real headache...then I don't know, because I did not. Otherwise, for the next few weeks you will feel minor discomfort from time to time in any area your doctor touched. If the pain is severe, get in touch with him/her. Also, if your not using a antibiotic ointment you should be. It helps against infection and keeps the bloody-scabs soft. Although, I did not find a need to place it on my donor area, the doc did a great job and my guess is at only 1600+ graphs my strip was much smaller than yours, I did however, apply a thin coat across my entire recipient zone for the first 7-10 days. I was warned to keep the scabs moist (dry scabs may pull-out the new follicles) and I found that it helped to reduce the itching.

By-the way, I just remembered... if your not sleeping in a reclined position this may be the reason you have a headache, pain and swelling at your scar. If you have one, sleep in a recliner for the next 5-10 days. You have to keep the blood pressure down--keep the blood from rushing to your head and don't bend-over for a few more days. I also slept in my recliner for 3 weeks and did not suffer from swelling or headaches.

Everything I mentioned seemed to work for me. I hope that helps. Keep in touch with your progress. Everyone here is more than willing to help! And, pay special attention to the advice you recieve from the long-time vets. Also, use the search to find past forums...they hold a wealth of information. ~zerro

If woman don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy -Steve Smith 'The Red Green Show'

Thanks for the advice.

Maybe I wasn't clear in my original post. I am certainly not trying to scrub the top of my head! icon_eek.gif

I am following the very detailed instructions from my doctor and using a bowl of cool water and lightly pouring it over the top of my head without touching the grafts. My problem is dried blood in the back donor area. I have been trying to wash it out but cannot seem to loosen it up without scrubbing which is painful.

As for sleeping I was told I only needed to sleep upright for the first 3 days. I have no swelling when I sleep, just the pain of placing the donor area on my pillow. Guess my head is just more sensitive than I thought it should be at this point.

Thanks again for sharing your experience.

Blue, sorry I got a little over zealous.

However, I did know what you meant. And, I still say do not scrub at your donor area. The more you play with it the worse the pain will get. I'm sure your Mom or caregiver told you that when you were a kid.

I checked back on my docs written and verbal instructions and he stated "I could resume normal washing (regular shampoo) at the donor site 10 days out."

And, if it hurts to sleep on your pillow, sleep upright for a little longer.

You may have guessed, I'm the type that tends to over do things. If a little advice is good; more is better. However, 3 days was not nearly enough time for you scar to begin to heal, before you began sleeping on it.

If woman don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy -Steve Smith 'The Red Green Show'

Hello Bluepony,

I can completely understand the pain u are goin through at this stage. I m 2 weeks post-ops, but didnt have any continuos pain at all. So, I would totally agree with ZERRO's intrcutions.

I have my own question here for ZERRO:

Its been 2 weeke since my Ht (1200+ graft - hariline and frontal area). I have been washing (through standard shampoo) my receipeint area very gently and with utmost care.

For how long, u suggest, should I wait before I take normal shower?

Thanks

BobbyN

BobbyN... your shower should never be normal again. That should be a great feeling!

I can't believe that I'm giving advice, but glad to help out.

From day 1 post-op I was instructed to wet my recepient zone with a supplied solution (spray bottle) of peroxide and sterilized water for 10 days to help loosen the scabs and probably the same reason you would use it on any wound. Also, from day 1 I gently lathered-up the recepient zone with baby shampoo and rinsed with a cup of water. Of course, at 2 weeks you're way beyond those first few critical days.

Now just let me say... I was probably over cautious but I did not allow (continued to use a cup of water to rinse) a forceful shower spray to touch the recepient area for 30 days-I checked my notes. I don't know what the price of gold is... but we're now probably wearing several ounces worth on our head. And, I don't want to wash it down the drain. At day 40+ I'm still using an indirect-gentle shower setting to rinse that area. However, I am confident that it would be okay to let it rip, maybe icon_biggrin.gif

I checked out past forums a while back and many people are using Nioxin cleanser and scalp therapy... so I went out and bought some at my local salon (the only place I know to get it, that and the web) and my hair and scalp feel great. I'm still wimpy about using the spray-on treatment that comes with the economy pack, because it can make your scalp a little rosy and red. I've used it before. I'm going to wait until I see more substantial growth. Keep in mind it doesn't claim to grow hair, just that it will optimize a healthy scalp.

Answer: My doc said ten days post-op... I say when you feel totally comfortable with your new hair... I guess, what I'm trying to say is that I don't think I'm there yet. Soon, I should think.

Sorry, I really didn't answer your question, did I. ~zerro

Dont scrub your head-- 5 days you should still be just soaking your head and lightly padding it with shampoo. If you have dry blood then just soak it in the bath to loosen it up, apply compress afterwoods and ICE.

The pain will subside, you had a lot of grafts taken at once and the tension is probably tight. Make sure you take your pain meds, and dont do anything that will cause your scalp to stretch for a couple of months.

It might take 12 months for the nerves to grow back as well but be patient.

BOBBY

I AM ALSO GETTING 1200 UNITS.(FRONT/TEMPLES)

WHEN IS IT "SAFE" TO GO BACK TO WORK(I WORK W/A TOUGH CROWD)I WAS PLANNING ON TAKING 1WK OFF IS THAT ENOUGH?

COULD YOU POST SOME PICS?

THX

Hello Markcia,

Attached is the pic (1200 Grafts), 1 day post-HT.

One week should be OK to get some swelling off, to look normal but make sure you take lot of rest and use ICE to bring down the swelling and follow all the post-HT intructions, though.

Good Luck with you HT.

BobbyN

BobbyN.jpg.6630b5bbc4c8cff1eb3ca47a5fe91017.jpg

2 weeks post HT here. i went through the 10 percocets my doc gave me by the time i got back from toronto. i was advised by him to take tylonol after that. well i wasn't finding tyonol very helpful and i was in pain! so i went to the hospital and showed them my 35 staples and said give me something now! and they gave me 40 oxycontins which did the trick. now i'm just fine and the pain has passed anyway.