New flash galleries - I hate them! Please at least make them an option!

I would have to AGREE with everyone who has responded.

Sometimes new technology is not the best option, unlike HTs icon_wink.gif.

Please allow the galleries to be viewed the "old fashioned" way!!! My favorite part of this forum, people's galleries is now way more difficult to view!?!

Eman

My initial HT thread:

done and done!! Check it out...

I'll weigh in on the side of the old style as well.

The new method also does not place my pictures in the order that I have them numbered. This is a setback when trying to present items in a timeline manner.

Bayer

I have to agree with all of you as I don't like them very well..........however, I think Pat mentioned in another thread that the company/person who maintains this site made changes and the old way is no longer available. I don't know for sure??

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

hairbank,

You are correct. This may or may not be in our control at this point. I don't know ALL the details, but as far as I understand it, the third party hosting company has changed their format and we might be stuck with it. Either that, or we'd have to switch providers, and I'm not sure what kind of mess that would be, especially since it COULD mean taking all of our existing photos in the current database, and transferring them to another one (thus, breaking all the links, etc). I am only speculating since I don't know exactly how this particular web program works.

Bill

Doh, that's bad news. I guess the only thing Pat can do is let the hosting company know that there's been negative user feedback and ask whether they can fix the situation, or barring that recommend one of their competitors. If the site's big enough, maybe they'll get the hint icon_smile.gif

After all, any company that just up & destroys old functionality without asking their users is unlikely to be a great one to deal with.

Originally posted by rp1979:

well if the flash gallery is here to stay, hopefully they'll fix the problem with the pics being out of order.

Oh God I hope this is not the case! I feel like I'm using Dial-up again the pictures take so long to load... I say scrap this idea and use photobucket.com if it's a hosting issue. That's what every other site uses for uploading pictures...

I've noticed that the time seems to have improved for pictures to load.........anyone else?

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

I can no longer view the pictures as something is preventing me from installing the Flash software. I turned my firewall off but it still won't install. This Flash change was a big mistake icon_mad.gif I'll have to host pictures of my next HT on my own server or photobucket as someone else suggested icon_rolleyes.gif

PB, try these steps:

1. Allow any & all Java apps to run (Tools-->Internet Options-->Security, then custom). There's a few options there; if you get lost, just click "restore defaults". I can't imagine Macromedia would make an installer that does not run with default security settings. Restart browser. Try to install.

2. Got any antivirus programs running? Disable them. Try to install.

3.Try rebooting before installing. Seems silly but the technical reason is, a program can crash and leave a process running in the background. A list of your processes shows up in the task manager, Ctrl+Shift+Esc - don't close anything that's owned by system!. Something may be running that interferes with the install.

Good luck. I'd bet it's some assining setting in your browser that the firewall flipped which protects you from an additional 5% of threats out there while doubling your headaches. If you can't get it running, pm me icon_wink.gif

Ok, I just went and gave browsing a large gallery a shot. List of issues:

1. Specific pictures are difficult to find. They are not in order and there's no tooltips, so when viewing picture 2, the next one can be picture 7. Or 3. Or 11. With the small thumbnails and all the pictures being, by nature of this forum, pictures of hair, sometimes it's tough to find the one you want.

2. When clicking on a picture to expand it, the flash gallery window has picture #1 displayed, always. Now you get to find yours all over again. See 1.

3. No tooltips or any description of pictures which are not selected.

4. Slideshow mode should not be on by default - users generally click at a picture to view it in detail, having it fade to another is distracting.

So, in the end, there's 1 large issue & 2 small ones. Pat, is sending feedback to the developer in charge of the site an option? Not having the gallery in slideshow mode by default is probably a setting on the software which they should be able to flip np. Passing a parameter from the site to the popup telling it which pic to show involves some coding but it still very easy to do for a developer. Changing the order of pictures, well, that's a bug (assuming there was no database transfer since if that's the case, the DBA could have made a mistake) and it deserves at least a bug report. And tooltips for the pictures, well, that could always be sent to whoever wrote the software as a suggestion/feedback.

Sorry to get wordy, I'm a developer myself & this gallery has potential, it just needs a little bit of work icon_wink.gif Couldn't help myself.

• 2 weeks later...