Age and HT

andy79

Hello. Long time reader first time poster...

I'm 24 and have been slowly crowning for 2 years. I started taking propecia 3 months ago and have seemed to halt my hairloss...however, my hairline and temples have accelerated in the thinning process. I still have enough hair to cover up a transplant (I think). Should I look into getting a transplant now, or should I wait until I'm older? My hair is managable now, but I don't think it will be within the next several years. My fear is that I will continue to lose hair regardless and then the transplant will look stupid. Your advice is most appreciated.

Hello. Long time reader first time poster...

I'm 24 and have been slowly crowning for 2 years. I started taking propecia 3 months ago and have seemed to halt my hairloss...however, my hairline and temples have accelerated in the thinning process. I still have enough hair to cover up a transplant (I think). Should I look into getting a transplant now, or should I wait until I'm older? My hair is managable now, but I don't think it will be within the next several years. My fear is that I will continue to lose hair regardless and then the transplant will look stupid. Your advice is most appreciated.

Well I'd guess many if not most cases of HT involve following nature's tracks in multiple sessions. Waiting until your hair loss stops would be one option, but then you gotta get pretty bald.

My doctor charges less on subsequent visits, so followup work isn't a $5000+ investment each visit, I'd guess it's like that all over.

I'd guess one megasession and then future subsequent smaller sessions are the way to go.

I don't know whether or not that approach is healthy for the pre-existing and already-transplanted follicles, though. (?)

Andy79

IMO it really depends on how uncomfortable your current hair loss makes you. If it's really bothering you, scheduling several appointments to get different views from HT docs would be a way to start. The good/great HT docs are well known and this site can save you a lot of research time and dead ends. I waited a few years until I finally got uncomfortable(pissed off) enough to do something so everyone has their personal threshold level of frustration. You're already taking positive action with the propecia. Minoxidil might give you some help as well as you mull your decision. As long as you choose a very good HT doc, you will not regret your eventual HT(s); now or later.

TL

Thanks for the advice. It is most appreciated. Let's say I got 600 grafts now...would my donor scar be less detectable? I know this is talked about on this site a lot, but my biggest fear is hiding the HT in the months following surgery.

if you only need 600 grafts, i would go for FUE, the price will be not that much cause you need a small amount of grafts. If you get a strip for 600 grafts, you will have a scar for the rest of your life and isnt worth it.

My plan is to get a strip first ( i need 2000 grafts or more to densepack my hairline and temple fill-in ) and after that im going to keep ahaead of my balding with FUE because i will need smaller HT's to cover up bald spots that might occur behing the hairs from the first HT.

I suppose i will always go back when i need 500 grafts or so and it is not very smart IMO to go for a strip when you need so little grafts.

1 or 2 strips can be done but if you get more strips, you have a chance of scar-widening which you surely want to avoid.

I become 22 in december and i dont find myself too young to get an HT. Modern techniques are so advanced that it is possibl for young guys like us.

What does scares me a bit is the fact that you are on propecia for 3 months and you see that your hairloss accelerates. In my case i cant see a difference in hairloss in a period of only 3 months. I guess my recession started soon but goes slow. I am on propecia now for 2 months and i cant see a difference, im sure that in one year i will have about the same amount of hair as i do now, and as i did a year ago, although that is what i hope

Greetz.

Pictures of my hairloss can be found here:

http://www.geocities.com/belgiumdude2004/

if you do want to get a strip for 600 grafts, just draw a line of 6 cm by 1mm. That is what your scar will look like if you get an HT with one of the good docs that are discussed on this forum.

What are you on the NW-scale because 600grafts arent going to do that much. I need 2000 to 2500 just for my temples and hairline to get a density of 80 grafts/cm2.

Greetz.

3 months is ususally not long enough to judge your results from Propecia. I would give it a year.

In my opinion, it is a mistake to use transplants as a counter-measure against "future hair loss". For one thing, a hair transplant can accelerate your hair loss ("shock loss"). There is no guarantee that the shocked hair will return. (Shock loss should not be confused with the normal dormant phase that the grafts go through... shock loss is something that can happen to your pre-existing non-transplanted hairs). It is possible to get a transplant and end up with LESS hair, under certain conditions.

600 grafts will accomplish very little, and it is not smart to get a strip excision scar for that small number of grafts. I question the wisdom of creating a scar just to move that small number of grafts. There is evidence that the first hair transplant session grows the best. For that reason, and because of the risk of shock loss that guys with a lot of remaining hair have, it is generally considered to be wise to wait untill you are at least Norwood 3 or higher. That way, a large session will still result in a net gain, even if you have shock loss. Doing multiple small sessions is an inefficient way to use your limited donor supply, and using your donor supply wisely is one of the keys to success.

I've heard it takes about 150 grafts to recreate an eyebrow. Now think about adding about 4 eyebrows worth of hair to your head, and ask youself if the payoff is worth the cost, hassle, and the linear scar and the risk of accelerating your hair loss.

In short, it doesn't sound like you are bald enough for a hair transplant yet. You should consider that good news. If I were you, I would continue with Propecia, and do not get a transplant at this point. Hopefully Propecia will acomplish your goals. Wait a year and then re-evaluate. Take some high quality photos so you can monitor your situation, rather than just going from memory.

Greetz...propecia has absolutely slowed my loss of hair in my crown. I used to be able to pull hairs out with ease, now I can't...coincedence? Maybe. My temples started to accelerate as where I can pull hair out very easily...just by showering or doing my hair. I don't think its propecia related at all, just bad timing.

Arfy...I actually do think that 600 grafts would help. But I really value your opinion and will try to wait this out. Although I know propecia does nothing for the hairline...

I still don't quite understand why its bad to maintain through the years. Yes, I understand there is only a limited donor area...and shock loss, isn't that pretty uncommon, especially with a top doctor?

Speaking of top doctors, Has anyone used or seen results from Dr. Law in NYC (featured on this site). Whether I decide to have HT or not, it makes me feel better to be prepared either way...

Thanks again everyone.

Andy

To a certain extent, the more hair you still have, the more you may be risking regarding shock loss. Many people think that it is preferrable to have a well-defined balding area if you are considering a HT, rather than a guy who is in the early stages of hair loss.

Shock loss can affect any hairs that are miniaturizing. Depending on the individual, those hairs may or may not return. It is not a good idea to be in a hair loss "free fall" when you get a hair transplant. So even if you don't regrow your hairline, if Propecia stops or slows your hair loss, it is very possibly going to help with shock fallout.

Propecia works best at prevention, but it "can" work in the frontal hairline... it can work anywhere there is miniaturization of hair follicles.

I am not saying you should never get a HT, but it seems like you would be jumping the gun, and that can be counterproductive.

Like I said, I would just continue with Propecia, and possibly look into adding Minoxidil, which is a growth stimulator.

In the meantime, I wouldn't do anything surgical until you really have a solid grasp on all the pros and cons.

Andy79, A transplant will not look stupid if you get a good one. If you get one that is not state of the art, then it will look stupid.

A good HT doctor will give you all FUs which look totally natural. Regardless of where they are placed and in what density, they look natural. Of course you want good density, so the HT should address one area, either the frontal zone or the crown. Even the doctors who do mega-sessions only tackle one area.

It sounds like propecia will help your crown area. But from what I've read here, it can also accelerate hair loss in the front. Read recent posts from Anonymous for one. You're still young but I'd start saving some money for the FU procedure that you will probably want for your hairline. Pick a top doctor and you will be happy.

[This message was edited by JohnH on November 08, 2003 at 07:01 AM.]

Andy79, A transplant will not look stupid if you get a good one. If you get one like one of the people who replied to your first post, then it will look stupid.

Who are you referring to? I havent had an HT done and i cant see one of the previous poster tell you about it?

And what you say about accelerating in the frontal part, i think you are confusing it with the fact that propecia has a low chance of being effective for the hairline. Propecia is better for the crown but i dont think it can accelerate your hairloss.

Greetz.

I read an article where it was discussed by the IAHRS doctor's that it was not the best idea to do HT on the very bald and very young(under 35).

If you are 24 and noticing loss, you may be really bald by 35-40 and it may be difficult to do anything about it then. I would suggest taking a good look at your family and their genetic loss to estimate your eventual loss, consult with a HT doc and yes take Propecia for at least a year before making a decicion.

I started to agonize about loss at 28 and have gotten more comfortable with it and slowing the process with propecia. I have been using a hairmax laser comb for about 2.5 months and find that encouraging. I will give it a month or so more and see about posting pics.

good luck

I have no genetics to go off of. My dad's side of the family has full heads of hair...my mom's parents died when she was little and she never met her aunt's or uncles. I'm assuming my hairloss comes from her side (thanks mom!). I wish I had something to go on.

My crown loss has halted, and with some thickening shampoo I can live with it. However, in the past year my temples and hairline are thinning out. Aside from HT, does anyone have any advice on products that may hinder hairline hair loss?