laser comb from wired Technologies

Hi everyone

I bought the laser comb from Wired Technologies, and the price was really low about 70$, compared to the Hairmax about 500$.

Now my question is why is there a big price difference, and is the laser comb from iwred technologies safe, I don't want to end up in a bad situation

They claim they got FDA approval.

Please shed some light

darkman,

This is a legitimate question, and one that I do not have the answer to. Perhaps forum member "BeHappy" or other laser therapy users can shed some light on this.

Some people believe you get what you pay for. Though in many cases this is true, sometimes you are paying a lot more for a brand name.

Now is there a difference between the Hairmax laser comb and the one from Wired technologies? I'm not sure.

I'd recommend spending some time researching both laser combs to learn about their differences.

Bill

Well, since you seem to be having a hard time getting a response, darkmanhyk, I thought I'd chime in a bit.

Unlike other portable units, we do not use reflectors to divide our lasers. We do not use less expensive LED units that have been proven to be ineffective for hair re-growth.

I took this statement off of the Wired Tech site as I was not all that acquainted with their product previously. This statement is not true. The Hairmax laser comb also uses a reflector and one diode with different exit points running the length of the comb. Their statement that this has been "proven ineffective" is not substantiated, even by their own website as they make this claim. What's more, the Hairmax LC was FDA approved and uses the technology that Wired says is "ineffective" - something's fishy about that.

I would also mention that the FDA approval is only for the Hairmax device, not for LLLT for hair growth in general, which Wired also states on their site. Add to the mix that their "results" are all stolen from Hairmax's site and I think you can conclude that Wired is to LLLT what Bosley or MHR are to HT: a lot more hype and unethical marketing than actual results.

Given all that, this device is probably likely to work just as well or as poorly as the Hairmax device. I would, in your shoes, be very cautious in dealing with a company that seems so comfortable with outright lies. I mean, Bosley and MHR at least rely on half-truths, misleading statements and faulty conclusions before resorting to bold-faced lying...

LLLT is still, in my opinion, unproven and, while I am an open-minded skeptic, I remain unconvinced of the LLLT's effectiveness against genetic hair loss. I've seen a lot of circumstantial evidence that seems fairly promising in favor of these devices, but none of it has been concrete. All that aside, many hair loss studies report unusually high numbers that they attribute to placebo effect; perhaps if a person truly believes they are treating their hair loss in an effective manner, they can convince their condition to improve - although probably only slightly.

To put it short and sweet: I'm not young enough to know everything, so LLLT may actually work. Until I see more conclusive evidence, I'm going to remain open-mindedly skeptical.

• Moderators

HLBD,

Hairmax's older model from several years ago used a single laser with mirrors, but their current laser combs use either 5 lasers or 9 lasers depending on which one you buy. The FDA approval was for a multilaser model, not the old single laser comb.

darkmanhyk,

As for the wired technolgies laser comb, it looks to be a pretty good deal at $79.95. It has 9 actual lasers at the same power ratings as Hairmax (650NM/5MW). It also gives you the option of either plugging it into an outlet or using it with the rechargeable battery.

While THEY didn't get FDA approval for THEIR device, it's just like using generic medicines. The original manufacturer gets FDA approval and eventually other companies are allowed to make the same pills. They of course don't need FDA approval for theirs because the active ingredients are already approved.

If you want to try using a laser comb but don't want to spend a lot of money on something you're not sure will work then this might be a good comb to try.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

Behappy,

I was unaware that the laser comb's design has ever changed and certainly unaware that it may have been because the previous design was "ineffective." Many other LLLT companies STILL use this point to detract from the Hairmax device. Do you have a link to any announcement of this re-design and why it was done? Is it because Hairmax feels that the old design was effective, but not as effective as the new design? If so, what is their thought process for thinking so? What evidence do they have to support this decision? Forgive me, but I am an ex-support staff researcher in a biotech lab and I have a tendency to demand evidence for any position - yay or nay. If they believe their previous device was ineffective, as Wired contends, did Hairmax issue refunds/recalls? It would seem the way an ethical company would act.

Now, I don't want to come off as insulting or confrontational in any way, but I must know where you got your ideas on FDA approvals of generic medications and medical devices. Please, I mean no offense, but your statements are completely incorrect. The reason why generic versions of certain medications are available is that the originating company's patent on the chemical structure of the active ingredient in their formula has run out. All medications must meet with FDA approval - I can't just decide to make Avodart in my basement, even if I used the chemical formula for creating dut- even if the patent on the structure had run out, I'd still need the FDA's approval to release the generic version. I'd need to meet manufacturing requirements, specifically the requirements the FDA sets forward as GMP (good manufacturing practices), they must also approve of the formula - the active ingredients are not the only ingredients in a medicinal formula. I can't sell my generic Avodart cut with baking soda or bleach. The generic must be safe and effective as the original medication in order to be approved as a generic medication by the FDA. The only real difference between a generic medication applying for FDA approval and the original is that the generic does not need to conduct clinical trials.

The same is true of FDA approval of medical devices. Their primary focus is on saftey. I can't start making "generic" pacemakers based on an old, previously proven design and start selling the on the Internet because the FDA approves the use of electro-pulmonary regulation - because they don't. The treatment action IS effective, however, the FDA focuses on the individual medical device as the device is seen in the same light as a medication's chemical molecular structure. The FDA does not approve of any company making the claim that LLLT is proven to be safe and effective. They do not approve the efficacy of any treatment action employed by any medical device, but instead approve the device itself as being safe and effective. In this way, as with medications, the FDA can assure that any given manufacturer is using a feasible design, safely manufacturing their design and truthfully marketing their design. Just because a device might look like the Hairmax device doesn't mean it is as safe, efficient, effective, or even that it employs the same treatment type as the approved device. As with generics, legally a medical device manufacturer must apply for FDA approval based on the previous approval of another, similar device if one exists - in this case, the laser comb.

I'd bet my last dollar that these LLLT companies are betting that, because their products are general safe in nature and design, that there won't be enough complaints to bring about the wrath of the FDA. But mark my words, one faulty wired laser comb by any company with enough media attention ??“ I pray to God no one is hurt ??“ and the FDA will come down like a box of bricks on these companies trying to imply, implicitly or otherwise, that they have FDA approval for their device or treatment.

While THEY didn't get FDA approval for THEIR device, it's just like using generic medicines. The original manufacturer gets FDA approval and eventually other companies are allowed to make the same pills. They of course don't need FDA approval for theirs because the active ingredients are already approved.

• Moderators

HLBD,

As for Hairmax, it says on their web site that they previously sold a single laser comb in Australia where the company began and they started selling a newer model in the USA in 2001. Of course they don't say the old one was ineffective, just that the new one is more effective. Most products do improve over time.

As for FDA stuff I admit I don't know much about that, but at least we agree that other companies don't have to do studies for something already approved. The whole FDA thing is a gray area anyway. You can use lotions, shampoos, skin creams, etc without going through the FDA, but minoxidil that you only rub on your head, no different than all those other things I just mentioned had to get approval. I wonder if it wasn't already under FDA guidelines for oral use for other treatments if they then could have simply sold it as they please. Why wouldn't they be able to do that?

But back to the laser comb. That didn't need FDA approval either. Hairmax got approval last year but was already selling them in the USA since 2001. I think it was more of a marketing thing. If they could get it approved as a medical device than they can claim it's FDA approved "to promote hair growth" (that's the FDA wording) rather than only being allowed to say it can make your hair seem shiny and full looking.

So if it's something that didn't need approval anyone can sell them. Also anyone can claim that laser combs are FDA approved because that's true as long as you don't claim that your specific comb or design has been approved.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.