pain meds and air travel?

I'm having my first HT in December and will be flying to and from the doctor's practice. Any tips for flying under the influence of pain meds and/or valium for the trip back...and also going through security in such a condition? I'll have a travel partner but I'm still wondering a bit about what the regulations are - if any - for this kind of thing.

I'm having my first HT in December and will be flying to and from the doctor's practice. Any tips for flying under the influence of pain meds and/or valium for the trip back...and also going through security in such a condition? I'll have a travel partner but I'm still wondering a bit about what the regulations are - if any - for this kind of thing.

1. Do not insist that the flight attendant let you up front in the cabin to "play around with the controls for awhile"-

2.Do not insist on being allowed to sing your version of "Respect" by Aretha Franklin, -no matter how good you feel-

And-

3.No matter what- Do not wear any type of "quick-release" clothing during your journey.

That about covers the federal regs as I understand them.

Have a good trip.

Timothy Carman, MD ABHRS

President, (ABHRS)
ABHRS Board of Directors

Unless you are flying out right after the procedure, you really shouldn't be under the influence of meds. You shouldn't FLY the plane, but to be a passenger is fine.

I would recommend drinking lots of water, as you may have not had much to drink during the day of your transplant, and airplane air is notoriously dry.

Long flights have a risk of leg vein clots, particularly in smokers and females on birth control. Nevertheless, its prudent to get up and stretch every few hours.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Fusion

I flew from New York back to London 2 days after my HT (as have many UK guys)- I would have been OK to have flown back the following day. As far as pain meds - the morning after the HT the pain was minimal and I was comfortable on Tylenol.

Best wishes with your procedure.

Tubs

=======================

3,500 grafts - Dr Feller - 08/08/08

fusion47,

I flew from VA to TX the morning after my surgery with no problems. I do recommend getting a travelers pillow. It's very useful the first couple days after the surgery.

Most airport security don't ask you to remove hats or scarfs from your head. This helps keep the surgery from being so noticeable in the airport and on the plane.

Have a safe trip!

Congrats-- and the plane ride are the greatest-- take the pain meds and take along nap. I fell asleep before takeoff and wokeup at landing-- it was just great!

SMOOTHY

Dr. Shapiro

Propecia/Rogaine xtra

MSM/Zinc/B6/Saw Palmetto

3 oz Zrii daily

EZ can speak first hand...maybe he can comment how long he needed pain meds.

It is UNCOMMON in our practice for men to use pain meds except for the first 2 nights, and maybe that first day postop.

In 13 years, I think I have had 5 men ask for more pain meds after the first prescription, and most say they took 5 pills total.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians