Should I or shouldn't I

corpo

I'm a 45 year old South Florida resident and have done relatively thorough research on getting a HT, and must admit that I'm a little gun shy. I'm a NW Class 5 or 5A (on my way to a NW 6) with very fine straggly, dirty blond-brownish hair. I mailed some photos to various doctors. Dr. Bernstein in NY told me that if I got a transplant, eventually, the area around my sides would continue to thin out, eventually leaving me with an island in the front where the transplanted hairs would be placed (and reading between the lines from our telephone consult, he wasn't too optimistic that a HT would look that good). That spooked me. I had a personal consult with Jeffrey Epstein (who I was very impressed with), and he advised that he would look forward to working with the fine hair. He recommended around a 2,000 - 2,500 FU the first time around, with a similar amount if I'd like to work on the crown area later on. Epstein advised that I probably had around 6,000 FU's total to work with.

If I could be assured that the work would look good and non-detectable, I'd do it. I'm just concerned that with my hair type and progression of loss, that the results good be sub-par no matter how qualified the surgeon.

Any thoughts or suggestions??

I'm a 45 year old South Florida resident and have done relatively thorough research on getting a HT, and must admit that I'm a little gun shy. I'm a NW Class 5 or 5A (on my way to a NW 6) with very fine straggly, dirty blond-brownish hair. I mailed some photos to various doctors. Dr. Bernstein in NY told me that if I got a transplant, eventually, the area around my sides would continue to thin out, eventually leaving me with an island in the front where the transplanted hairs would be placed (and reading between the lines from our telephone consult, he wasn't too optimistic that a HT would look that good). That spooked me. I had a personal consult with Jeffrey Epstein (who I was very impressed with), and he advised that he would look forward to working with the fine hair. He recommended around a 2,000 - 2,500 FU the first time around, with a similar amount if I'd like to work on the crown area later on. Epstein advised that I probably had around 6,000 FU's total to work with.

If I could be assured that the work would look good and non-detectable, I'd do it. I'm just concerned that with my hair type and progression of loss, that the results good be sub-par no matter how qualified the surgeon.

Any thoughts or suggestions??

Corpo,

A personal consult is better than a phone consult. THe surgeon can actually see first hand the donor supply and make recommendations. BOth doctors you contacted are reputable, I would question having 6,000 FU to work with if your a NW5-6? YOu stated your hair is thin and most have approx 5K FU in donor area.

I good note, being light color hair is a benefit because your HT looks more natural. I would recommend if you decide, to focus solely on the hairline, vertex, and midscalp (frontal 1/3rd and sides above your ears). Given your description of type of hair, go for a mature look-- and a few years down the line and your hairloss progression has stopped, then work on the crown.

Today's microscopic FU procedures look completely natural-- with a thinner or thicker transplant it just looks natural.

I would get 1 more in person consult before making a decision-- Sounds like your in East-- contact Dr. Rose who I believe is in FL, if your in MN for business or something Dr. Shapiro has a great reputation for hairlines and has actually done a lot of other doctors hairline transplants.

Best of luck.

corpo,

Smoothy stated some good things.. Definetely get a hands on opinion by an experianced Dr...

Photo's for evaluation are truely hard to judge and really are just a rule of thumb.

You have some great options to meet in your general area. I encourage you to do so.

>>>

Dr. Bernstein in NY told me that if I got a transplant, eventually, the area around my sides would continue to thin out, eventually leaving me with an island in the front where the transplanted hairs would be placed

>>>

This is a good point. It's something I've wondered about myself.

Was he speaking generally or being specific to one patient? Does anyone have any input on this? If it's true, it kind of discredits the whole HT principle, high quality undetectable F.U. grafting notwithstanding.

Like the long term efffects of medications, how can one know if this will happen or not, unless we have (plenty of) people who've had a modern FU HT for a long time - a contradiction in terms, since FU techniques are comparatively recent. . . icon_confused.gif

That's the dilemma. There are no guarantees about any of this. We do not know what extent our hairloss might be, how we will respond to medications over the long term, etc.

That is why initially a more conservative approach is always better. Let me explain. If one's family history depicts let's say mild to medium hairloss in the men, say no one more advanced than a Norwood 4, that is an "indication" and nothing more of another male's potential hairloss within the same family. In other words if no other males within the family had more extensive hairloss why would yours be more? Does that mean it could never happen? NO. As I said it is only an indicator.

So it is more advisable for one to conclude that yes hairloss runs in my family, none of the men hit class five through seven, but since there is a chance I could be the first one, I better keep my hairline a little higher, not get too aggressive in the lesser visual impact areas, and always leaving a "reserve" for the just in case later on in life. I have seen men just start to lose hair in their early fifties. Hairloss is unpredictable.

So anyone with massive diffused thinning, extensive hairloss earlier in life, less than average denisities, Ludwig pattern of thinning, etc should do some very careful planning for their lifetime appearance.

Try to think of the areas of restoration that are most important to you. Most of us start in the front forelock including a frame to our face. Then, if things go well and you seem to continue to respond well to medications, you can always add more later. Also have the sides (lateral hump areas) examined in the future to evaluate just how far miniturization is impeding into those areas.

So if the worst should happen, more extensive hairloss than you predicted, at least you have "some" reserves left in case you do sustain more recession in the rim areas or anywhere else later in life. We can still enhance and improve our appearences even if we do not have a home run situation. It is a personal decision we all make for ourselves.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Nicely said Gillinator.

Yes the MPB gene is transended down from male generations but the degree of hairloss from this gene differs from generations-- maybe more, maybe less. So it is a good indictor and as the man said, you should use this as your gage in future planning-- Dont get too aggressive, and in the future if your MPB is not as bad, then you can have additional HT to get little more aggressive.

Best of luck.

Corpo -

I had a recent procedure done by Dr. epstein, and your good feeling about him is extremely well deserved. He is the man! I would highly recomend him if you decide to go through with it.

Best of luck

Jeff Bowers