castration!

Perhaps one of the Docs could answer this one.

I began to wonder if a young male was castrated before the onset of mpb would he ever lose his hair or if a male suffering from mpb was castrated would it stop at that stage??

Curious I did find some information and here is one quote...

"Truthfully, for men suffering from male pattern baldness, castration is actually a proven cure, because it stops the production of testosterone which causes hairloss in men. Obviously though, this is not a viable option. For many men in fact, it would defeat the purpose of keeping their hair in the first place".

Anyway I have no plans for such a proceedure icon_biggrin.gif

Perhaps one of the Docs could answer this one.

I began to wonder if a young male was castrated before the onset of mpb would he ever lose his hair or if a male suffering from mpb was castrated would it stop at that stage??

Curious I did find some information and here is one quote...

"Truthfully, for men suffering from male pattern baldness, castration is actually a proven cure, because it stops the production of testosterone which causes hairloss in men. Obviously though, this is not a viable option. For many men in fact, it would defeat the purpose of keeping their hair in the first place".

Anyway I have no plans for such a proceedure icon_biggrin.gif

I want to say I remember seeing a study of identical twins many years ago in which one of the twins was somehow castrated. The intact twin developed mpb, whereas the soprano twin did not.

Spencer

Talks about the twins in his book, the castrated twin had no hairloss while his uncastrated twin was bald.

Once testosterone was injected into the castrated twin he too started to bald like his brother.

The uncastrated twin chose sex over hair..(just kidding !! )

The article is discussed in "The bald truth" and BTW a new version is due out this spring.

NW