Any opinions on DrBrandy?

JacobS

First, welcome to the forum. You've come to the right place for advice/info.

Next, do a search of the message board for "Dr. Brandy" or "Brandy". I'm sure you'll find plenty of information which will probably confirm your suspicions

It helps if you are already logged in, when you search. You usually get more returns or hits on your search, for some reason, when you are logged in.

The short answer is that I would avoid Dr. Brandy like the plague. He has damaged a lot of guys.

Jacob, Check out Dr Koher and Dr Cooley. They are in North Carolina which is not too far of a drive for you. I recently drove from Atlanta to Highpoint NC to have a session with Koher. He does great work and is very generous - both sessions I have had with him I got several hundred extra grafts for free. I've also heard good things about Cooley in Charlotte.

Hold on here! I was a patient of Dr. Brandy's after he was recommended to me by several people who had had terrible results from other surgeons. Brandy did a great job of repairing the mess. When it was time for my surgery I chose him after an exhaustive search. The surgical suite that Brandy runs is like a well oiled machine. Patient care is superb! The best thing is that my results were great. I used to lose sleep and have nightmares because I was so distressed over my hair loss. Now I never give it a second thought. No one, not even my mother, has ever guessed I had anything done and she notices everything. I had nothing but hairline work and my results look every bit as good as the GQ guy and I am a nobody. Maybe Dr. Brandy's only vulnerability is that he will take on the most difficult and challenging cases that are out there. I have met people that were as bald as a cue ball have wonderful results...listen I do not mean to ramble. I just know that my experience was great and I think that others should know that I know a lot of patients with similiar experiences.

John Gasparini: Since you just registered today its really hard to give you alot of crediablity. Let say what you are saying is true, I congradulate you. I have been posting for around 18 months and have heard alot of horror stories about Dr. Brandy.

Check this out

Comments

Comments 2

This are only a few of them. I agree some patients have posted that they have recieved good results but the majority its very negative.

I would never recommend Brandy even to my worst enemy.

Lorenzo

Representative for Hasson & Wong.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Hasson

I certainly respect what your saying and I do not mean to trivialize anything negative that Ihave read. I do know that my quest to find a hair transplant surgeon began almost 10 years ago and during the course of that time I encountered horror stories about implantation procedures that ranged from non-certified surgeons removing entire strips of hair and grafting them to peoples heads with results that looked like like a patch quilt to other cases of massive infections and poor results. Alot of surgeons provide reference lists and the comments that I was hearing from so many clients were not encouraging. The prospect of a transplant was the only thing that kept me from being really depressed about my hair loss, but when I was hearing all of the negative comments from customers of other surgeons I began to believe that I would not be able to repair my own hairline. One thing began to happen. Brandy's name was coming forward not only as a really talented surgeon, but he was teaching outrageous numbers of practioneers all around the United States, had invented surgical tools for the process and perfected many of the grafting techniques that are used. So...I chose him and it was real surgery and never portrayed as a trip to the salon. I had to have a physical with an EKG and extensive blood work that included all sorts of clotting tests. Brandy spent a long time planning my surgery and when it was over he even checked on me in my hotel to make sure I was alright. Similiar follow-up followed me back to Baltimore as Brandy's group checked on me in the weeks following my surgery. This man cares! I cannot emphasize that enough! The irony is that I only stumbled on to this website looking for something else, but I am glad i have had the chance to share. I am so empassioned about this because I know how horrible it can be to be losing your hair and to feel like there are no options.

John Gasparini; Not to take anything away from your happiness or results. You are intitled to your point of view just like anyone is and your feedback is valuable to people considering a HT.

I think that you would have an easier time convincing President Bush that Sadam is a good man than convincing alot of the posters that Brandy does good work and he cares. Brandy in my opinion is no better than Bosley. Again this doesn't mean that what you are saying is incorrect but this is the view of many people.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>One thing began to happen. Brandy's name was coming forward not only as a really talented surgeon, but he was teaching outrageous numbers of practioneers all around the United States, had invented surgical tools for the process and perfected many of the grafting techniques that are used.

That is ironic but in the internet Brandy name usually comes out as negative and a doctor to avoid. Some poster are only on the internet to make sure that other don't make a mistake by going to see him. One poster signature says "Dr Brandy=the source of 10 years of suffering. DO NOT repeat my mistake! "

My friend consider yourself lucky that you are happy...

Lorenzo

Representative for Hasson & Wong.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Hasson

I just can't quite figure out how anyone does an "exhaustive search" and ends-up with Dr. Brandy. That just sounds completely bizarre. What would such an "exhuastive search" turn-up that ranks him above all the others? My odorometer is also registering in the red zone when an exhaustive searcher is a new member defending a particular Dr. that has had so many negative comments posted about his work in the past.

My Surgery With Dr. Sharon Keene

Paul; I had a good experience with DR. Brandy. I am sorry that that is not in keeping with the way some people portray him. My message is earnest and it is clear...he did a great job on my head! Period. I expect that I will need some additional work soon since my hairline (original hair) has thinnned a bit more I would go back to him in a second. I feel terrible for people that are not happy with their HT's but I expect those were difficult cases and I know that hairlift procedures that I have seen described here have been replaced by better state of the art techniques. Think back to the days when people had a transplant and they looked like doll hair with these horrible intermittant plugs. UGHHH. Yet people clammored to have it done. I am Applied Psychologist and I have dedicated a huge amount of my life to helping people and I think that everyone here is well intentioned, but you cannot impose a negative point of view on my positive experience.

Dr. Brandy not only does hair lifts, he has his own technique... "the Brandy Lift".

These hair lifts are radical techniques that have literally ruined peoples' lives. It's not like a bad haircut that you can undo. It's not even like a bad hair transplant, that you can sometimes improve. A hair lift permanently alters your entire scalp, creates massive scarring, etc. The guys who were damaged by scalp lifts went in under the assumption that their doctor was helping them.

Guys get hair transplants because they are self-conscious about their appearance. It is a terrible, horrible thing, to take a guy like that and make him look even worse than just a normal balding guy. It is inhumane. It is a crime against humanity, and the worst thing is that it is being done by doctors who are doing this type of thing over and over again, even though they know how much damage it can cause.

I am sure that Dr. Brandy has done some patients who are happy with his work. I am not trying to diminish your happiness, John Gasparini. But the fact that you are happy can never make up for the utter destruction and devastation that Dr. Brandy has been inflicted on some of his patients. These things can never balance out.

I would personally NEVER choose a doctor who has helped some guys, but then also absolutely ruined guys too. A doctor that has repeatedly damaged multiple patients does not deserve our business, and should not be allowed to continue to practice medicine.

John Gasparini, if you are happy with your work from Dr. Brandy, consider yourself lucky.

John Gasparini

The patients who Dr. Brandy performed scalp lifts on were sold on the procedure by Dr. Brandy. I can assure you that patients get scalp lifts because that is what the doctor prescibes for them.

Your post hints that maybe we should cut Dr. Brandy some slack or absolve Dr. Brandy from responsibility for the damage he has caused, because some patients were "hard cases". I think that is totally bogus.

I've been reading the Hair Transplant Network site for two years and it was extremely helpful in my decision to finally undergo a hair transplant. Because of the thread on Dr. Brandy, I thought it might be helpful to others to post my experiences here so here goes.

In December 2002, Dr. Brandy and his team transplanted 1100 hairs to my temporal and frontal areas which had thinned out quite a bit since my turning 40. I had visited the Bosley referral office in Pittsburgh 2 years prior but did not feel very comfortable following my meeting with the intake person. Using my contacts (including relatives) in the medical community, I was given the names of several transplant surgeons in the Western PA area including Dr. Brandy. With access to the university's data bases, I was able to confirm Brandy's credentials and his publications. I also spoke with tranplant surgeons affiliated with Indiana University Medical School which is near by brother's medical practice. Long story longer, I decided set up an appt. with Dr. Brandy. His staff is very professional and the overall clinic atmosphere just "felt right". As I indicated earlier, I had my procedure during Christmas break 2002 and, because I had enough existing hair to comb over the scabs as they healed, only my wife (and physician brother) knew I had any work done. Five days post-op the pain really diminished (the pain mgt system was good) and I started back running and lifting only a few days later. My brother examined the sutures on the back of my head that December and was impressed with Dr. Brandy's handiwork in that area. Six months later the new hairs just started coming in and today, 10 months later, the grafts are almost fully grown out. The difference in my appearance has definitely met my expectations. Bottom line, if I ever felt I needed a second procedure, I would not hesitate to return to Dr. Brandy. By using Rogaine and Propecia, I hope this won't happen for a while though.

Mr T:

Posting my before & after photos was something I didn't really consider until seeing all the posted pictures on this site so your suggestion is a good one. If I do this, I would probably have my wife take the after photos around mid-December 2003 as to give the procedure a full year to come in; I believe it takes at least 12 months to realize the final results. Interestingly, I can see additional growth/ thickness in the last month so I guess there's even more to look forward too.

TL

I don't care what TL and John Gasparini say, there is no way in the world I would go to Brandy. Just looking at that pic further up in this post is enough to make me know that Brandy is to be avoided. I always love it when quesitonable docs get brought up and all of a sudden mysterious new posters show up with their overwhelming success stories. Something is foul.

Good luck.

Manko

I think a lot of HT doctors stay in business because so many patients don't do enough research until after they have a procedure. I didn't find this forum until I got wimpy results from a session. Also, hair restoration is not so much of a referral business - more of constantly finding new patients. Most HT recipients don't go around telling everyone they know what a great doc their HT doctor is. And vice-versa, before these forums, nobody would say much about a bad procedure either.

Mr. T,

You can find the homepage info by clicking on my name and then more info, but this is it.

I did not put this together to show my hair, it is about me and my family (wife and horses!) My hair is pulled straight back and I have a pretty long ponytail. The picture is not very clear and I may post some others. I was really happy with my hairline. I started my transplants wehn my receeding hairline was not that noticeable. At least thats what my wife said. I was pretty upset but I made a really good dracula on Halloween. Anyway, now some of my original hair has falen out and I only have the grafts left, yet I really do not look like a guy losing his hair.

[Website to promotional content removed by forum moderator - Robert]

You know Paul, now that you have spelled out a logic formula that you seem satisfied with, maybe I can use it to help you understand. First, I never came to this site with an agenda. In fact, I don't even have before pictures of my surgery. But you know what --Dr. Brandy does! If I was a plant I would probably have come prepared with all those things hmmmm? Second, I have been blessed with a really interesting and diverse life. If I had wanted to deceive someone I would not have painted such elaborate portrait in my homepage. The reality is that is my life! That is why the homepage is titled "The ecclectic World of...." In fact my horse Case Said ran in an $50,000 starter allowance race (4th)during the Maryland Million at Laurel Park on October 11--check it out! I am not a Brandyphile! The only reason that I have been interested in hanging around in here is that, while I have no complaints about Brandy, I am beginningto believethat maybe there is someone local to Baltimore that could do my next procedure. That way I would not have to travel so far with a head full of grafts. I have yet to see any photos of a hariline that looks as good his do. Remeber I have my own head to compare with. I have looked at all the pictures! When I do my next graft session, no matter who its with, I am going to post everything. As far as your odorometer--better have it calibrated! By the way, I have never heard anyone use the term limerance other that me and Dr. Dorothy Tennov in Love and Limerance,1979 so I don not know what "pop" psychology that you are referring to?

[Website to promotional content removed by forum moderator - Robert]