Dr. won't prescribe Proscar

FadingFast182

Fadingfast,

I had the same problem with my local practioner. Technically, Proscar does not list hair loss as one of the conditions it treats. Therefore, she didn't feel comfortable prescribing it.

You may want to talk with one of our hair transplant doctors and as part of a long term hair restoration strategy, they may prescribe it.

Best wishes,

Bill

ask the doctor to give you a prescription for finasteride 5 mg, with the instruction to take one quarter of the pill a day.

that way, he can say that he is not prescribing you Proscar.

I am not a doctor. The opinions and comments are of my own.

HT with Dr. Cooley on Nov 20, 2008

2097 grafts, 3957 hairs

Proscar, 1.25 mg daily, skip the 5th day, started Nov 2007

My Hair Loss Blog - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Thanks! I will call around and ask a couple dermatologists. I haven't yet decided on a HT doctor... I am going to schedule a consultation with Dr. Keller and Dr. Konior from Chicago. Do the doctors give prescriptions at consultations before a final decision has been made?

finasteride 5 mg

This is what you need to ask for. Proscar name is indicated for BPH--Propecia name is indicated for HL. Same drug but indications are via the strength. Some docs dont want to be flagged by plans as to given non-indicated drugs. Just as for generic name 5mg-- this should do it for you.

SMOOTHY

Dr. Shapiro

Propecia/Rogaine xtra

MSM/Saw Palmetto/Zinc/B6

Zrii 3 oz a day

I agree with the above posts. It is certainly worth making the additional calls to receive the Proscar.

I happen to live in Canada and was paying $70.00 a month for over a year for Propecia. When my prescription ran out I asked for Proscar indicating to my doctor it was the same thing. Now, I just have to pay the dispensing fee which is $5.00 and it will last me close to a year! Talk about saving a bundle of cash. It is going to pay for a nice portion of my HT now.

I'm not familiar with your area but like the guys said above, if you hunt around you can get it.

Good news. I called another dermatologist that I had gone to in the past and he knew exactly what I was talking about. He said it is no problem as long as I split the pills. I am going in tomorrow!

As for splitting the pills, how do you guys split it in fifths? Does anyone just split it in quarters?

Man am I happy the doctor prescribed Proscar!!! When I took Propecia I think I spent about $60 for 1 month supply. I just went to the pharmacy and bought a 1 month supply of Proscar (4 months after splitting) for only $5! What a huge savings!

Uk_lad... if you are taking the finasteride for your hair and nothing else, split it into quarters. 1mg (or 1.25mg) is plenty for what you need it to do and it will last you much longer. I thnk the 5mg is only for prostate troubles.

There are certain medicolegal liability issues patients ask there doctors to do that is sometimes in a grey area. A physician is responsible for any medication he prescribes to you. For all practical purposes, Proscar is indicated for the treatment of Benign Prostatic Hypertrophy. Upon righting a prescription for Proscar, that doctor assumes the medical liability for any condition related to your prostate. Obviously your hair doctor and dermatologist are not your primary doctor and not checking your prostate etc. Consequently it is more feasible and practical for your family physician or internist to write for this medication, since they assume the risk of your medical care. Additionally, some patients ask for this in order for there insurance to cover the medication. This is another grey area which some might consider this to be fraudulent by the insurance companies since a doctor is righting for a prescription for a medical reason which it is not indicated and the insurance is paying for it. There are several risk management issues that can potentially place a doctors license in jeopardy if it were ever called or investigated. Every doctor has to have there own comfort level with the ethical and risk management side of their practice and prescription writing habits habits.

• 10 months later...

I emphatically agree that it is NOT a walk in the park to get a proscar prescription. If you buy online, there's always the risk of counterfeit. Can anybody recommend what they did to procure proscar in the US? I have been taking propecia for almost 11 years daily, and perhaps it is time for a change so long as results are the same. I have the money, but I am sick of paying 60$ a month on propecia. please help.