Hair Transplants Over Time.

Originalwit

I thought this would be an interesting question for everyone who has had a hair transplant several years ago.

Regardless of how long it has been--5 or even 10 or more years ago--please post your experience with the growth of the transplant in and of itself, apart from the fact that they may have been plugs, mini or micro grafts. Post only about the growth and health of the transplanted hairs.

Did the transplanted hair stand the test of time, regardless of how it related to your non-transplanted hair?

We read a lot of success stories here about results from day one to one or two years and nothing about stories concerning long term healthy growth of transplanted hair. Please share

OriginalWit

I thought this would be an interesting question for everyone who has had a hair transplant several years ago.

Regardless of how long it has been--5 or even 10 or more years ago--please post your experience with the growth of the transplant in and of itself, apart from the fact that they may have been plugs, mini or micro grafts. Post only about the growth and health of the transplanted hairs.

Did the transplanted hair stand the test of time, regardless of how it related to your non-transplanted hair?

We read a lot of success stories here about results from day one to one or two years and nothing about stories concerning long term healthy growth of transplanted hair. Please share

OriginalWit

Original,

Just as in theory, the transplanted hair does stand the test of time. The plugs that I recieved back in 1979 remain neatly snuggled amongst the FU's that Dr.Wong inserted.

I would be a Norwood 7 today if not for the procedures.

Jim

Uncjim's Journey

"Temples 'n Crowns Forever"

Uncjim's Hair Loss WebLog

I'm with Jim. My before pictures clearly show the grafts I received in the late 80's and early 90's. They were and are growing fine among the new transplants I received this year.

Mr. T

I had a HT in the late 90s with Dr.Bernstein, around 2001 I had another With Dr.Roy Jones, after this procedure, none of his hair grew and all of Bernstein's fell out. Dr.Bernstein said I must have donor thining but this is not the case. No one has been able to explain what happened. But I'm doing pretty good now after having some FUE and using Avodart.

I had big plugs in the 80s, in my early 20s.

Now I'm in my early 40s and my donor hair has thinned out a lot, and the grafts are also thinned out.

From my experience, I would say that the sales pitch of hair transplants being permanent is not always true. Men can also lose hair in the donor area, which means that logically some of your precious grafts would also be lost. I encourage guys who are at risk for extensive baldness to consider using drugs like Propecia to try to maintain their donor area, even if they don't expect to regrow any hair.