Hey Dr. Carman; Massage scar or...

not? That was a topic yesterday. Is it advisable to massage the scar to minimize visibility.

Thank you sir.

Heres the link...

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/showthread.php?t=154300

100? 'mini' grapfts by Latham's Hair Clinic - 1991 (Removed 50 plugs by Cooley 3/08.)

2750 FU 3/20/08 by Dr. Cooley

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

Rogaine 5% Foam - every now and then

AndroGel - once daily

Lipitor - 5 mg every other day

Weightlifting - 2x per week

Jogging - 3x per week

Dewayne-

I read the link posted-

Wound healing is actually a very interesting process that can be broken down into overlapping stages that occur initially in the first 14 days following wound creation. (Specifically 1.Tissue injury phase; 2)Coagulation phase; 3)Early inflammation phase; 4)Late Inflammation phase; 5)Fibroblst Migration/Collagen Synthesis; 6)Angiogenesis; 7)Epithelialization; and 8)The Remodeling Phase.)

Those processes stabilize at around day 14, but the "remodeling phase" continues thru the next 6-12 months as the synthesis and breakdown of collagen within the wound. Interestingly enough, the ultimate goal of all these processes is to actually shrink the size and appearance of the scar.

Since the normal process of scar formation is dependent upon the body's ability to organize a complex matrix of organized tissue, and the end goal is an eventual reduction of visible scar, I would suggest that scar massage PRIOR to the completion of this process may just interfere with this organizational process, leading to a poorer cosmetic result.

Again, unless the individual patient suffers from unusual wound healing processes, such as hypertrophic or keloid formation, wounds are best left to "do their thing" as it were, though it is generally accepted that keeping the wound moist hastens epithelialization of the wound and therefore may contribute to a better cosmetic outcome.

Good question. Hope that helps.

Timothy Carman, MD

Timothy Carman, MD ABHRS

President, (ABHRS)
ABHRS Board of Directors

HTGT-

Following the initial 14 days, wherein you can use neosporin to keep the wound moist, after this just a light coating of vaseline or Aquaphor once a day should be fine. The saline spray is fine, that just seems like a bit of work compared with a once daily app of the above-

Timothy Carman, MD

Timothy Carman, MD ABHRS

President, (ABHRS)
ABHRS Board of Directors

Thanks doc.

Since day 3 ive been using neosporin + pain relief formula to keep the donor area moist. It seems to hurt quite a bit while sleeping. Is this normal being 6 days post op or should the pain be subsiding by now? While im not laying on it, it barely hurts at all, just sore to the touch.

Anything worth doing is never easy

HTGT-

You can expect the wound to be tender to palpation thru the first 7-10 days. After that, the discomfort should subside- especially following suture removal.

So yes, this would appear normal.

BTW, sutures or staples? (Staples tend to be more uncomfortable than sutures..)

Timothy Carman, MD

Timothy Carman, MD ABHRS

President, (ABHRS)
ABHRS Board of Directors

My doctor utilized sutures, and alas, after speaking to her, she indicated that some of the discomfort was due to the sutures being a foreign object in my body that it does not like, causing the pain.

I plan on removing the sutures on day 7 (tomorrow) so hopefully I will sleep better tomorrow night.

Man it feels good when you get the sutures / staples out. Although mine never actually hurt, it about drove me nuts the last couple of days having those things in my head.

100? 'mini' grapfts by Latham's Hair Clinic - 1991 (Removed 50 plugs by Cooley 3/08.)

2750 FU 3/20/08 by Dr. Cooley

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

Rogaine 5% Foam - every now and then

AndroGel - once daily

Lipitor - 5 mg every other day

Weightlifting - 2x per week

Jogging - 3x per week

I had to travel for my HT, which means im back home now, and have to get these sutures out tomorrow.

Where do you guys recommend going for suture removal?

I don't want to go just anywhere, as they could mess up the removal, or make it hurt worse than it should. I plan on soaking my suture area for a good 15 minutes before i go in.