old transplant, looking for more natural look, please help

Hello, this is my first post here. I am male, Greek, approx 38 years old.

I had 3 hair transplant surgeries in Athens, Greece, by "DHI Hair Restoration", on 1995 (some 14 years ago).

The result was not bad back then, but now I can say that it is easy recognizable that I have had hair transplant and I am not at all happy with it. I attach a photo for you to see.

So now after almost 15 years I hope that methods have improved a lot and I want to effect another surgery for the sole purpose to give a more natural look on my hair, not to increase the volume of it.

I would like your advices as to if it's possible to have a more natural look and provided I live in Athens, Greece, if you have any suggestions or I have to travel to U.S. ?

Your replies (or any PM) will really oblige me as I am deeply concerned about the non-natural appearance of my hair.

106_0673.jpg.0218951af4c0e1a02320e87e097b2acb.jpg

Hello, this is my first post here. I am male, Greek, approx 38 years old.

I had 3 hair transplant surgeries in Athens, Greece, by "DHI Hair Restoration", on 1995 (some 14 years ago).

The result was not bad back then, but now I can say that it is easy recognizable that I have had hair transplant and I am not at all happy with it. I attach a photo for you to see.

So now after almost 15 years I hope that methods have improved a lot and I want to effect another surgery for the sole purpose to give a more natural look on my hair, not to increase the volume of it.

I would like your advices as to if it's possible to have a more natural look and provided I live in Athens, Greece, if you have any suggestions or I have to travel to U.S. ?

Your replies (or any PM) will really oblige me as I am deeply concerned about the non-natural appearance of my hair.

Hello and welcome to the site.

Since you are european, you should try to consider consulting with Dr. Devroye or Dr. Feriduni both of Belgium.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

11/04-07 - 800-1600 ish grafts - danish clinic - poor results

12/02-08 - 2764 grafts - Dr. Devroye - good result but needs hairline density

03/12-10 - 1429 grafts - Dr. Mohmand - result pending

Feel free to visit my picture thread

My Hair Transplant Photos - Surgery with Dr. Devroye

Young lads below 25 unite!

I am unfamiliar with Euro docs, but looking at your situation it should be easy for a *competent* HT doc to fix. They regularly fix WAY worse than that. There are some very good docs in the states/Canada (probably Europe too). Just be careful you choose a good one. That is the key.

Stimpy

stamos,

This is your lucky day, because someone (me) has read this and had exactly the same problem and similar circumstances! Although I'm not Greek (I'm Alabamian....), I've had a lot of the old plugs removed and replaced with a very natural look.

You can check my blog, but yes you can definitely expect great improvement and your old plugs can be either recycled or blended in with FU's for a thicker, more natural looking head of hair.

Send some pics to those guys Mike recommended. I'm so happy walking around now without having to hide an old plug job. Although I still have a thinning crown, I'm certain my transplant is undetectable.

100? 'mini' grapfts by Latham's Hair Clinic - 1991 (Removed 50 plugs by Cooley 3/08.)

2750 FU 3/20/08 by Dr. Cooley

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

Rogaine 5% Foam - every now and then

AndroGel - once daily

Lipitor - 5 mg every other day

Weightlifting - 2x per week

Jogging - 3x per week

Mike thanks for straight forward reply.

Stimpy thanks, I know NOW that the most important is to find a competent doc, thats why I posted here.

Dewayne, thanks for bring me hope man.

Although I still have a thinning crown, I'm certain my transplant is undetectable.

That would be like a dream to me (undetectable). Is this really possible?

You write in your blog

Shave it and forget about it if you've got a good looking head! It's sort of in style now, but it wasn't back in 1990 when I got some minigrafts. Keep your body in shape, as that's what does it for most women. It took me 40 years to realize that.

Now for me it is too late to do that? I mean the scar will be visible if I shave my head, right? Or can I hide it with plastic surgery and save it for all my life?

Think of your existing hair transplant as a Christmas tree farm that you notice as you drive down the road. As you may not have those in Greece, maybe an olive tree farm. Anyhow, what makes it noticable, unlike a forest, is the lack of randomness, and possibly clumping of trees (or hair).

Now to make it less noticable, you can simply plant a bunch of trees along the road, and into the farm a little ways, and passers-by won't be able to notice the orderly arrangement of the tree farm as it is hidden by the new growth along side the road. This is how we camouflage old plug cases, who don't have alot of donor hair in the back. We may not be able to cover everything, but we can almost always camouflage the hairline.

Now if someone has lots of donor hair, we do the front as described, and then place grafts around the existing grafts further on back, until the supply limits correction.

So you have at least those options, and it really depends on how much donor hair you have, and how noticable the existing transplant is.

But alot has changed since you had your initial surgery. It is a great time for you to be exploring your options.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Originally posted by stamos:

Mike thanks for straight forward reply.

Stimpy thanks, I know NOW that the most important is to find a competent doc, thats why I posted here.

Dewayne, thanks for bring me hope man.

Although I still have a thinning crown, I'm certain my transplant is undetectable.

That would be like a dream to me (undetectable). Is this really possible?

You write in your blog

Shave it and forget about it if you've got a good looking head! It's sort of in style now, but it wasn't back in 1990 when I got some minigrafts. Keep your body in shape, as that's what does it for most women. It took me 40 years to realize that.

Now for me it is too late to do that? I mean the scar will be visible if I shave my head, right? Or can I hide it with plastic surgery and save it for all my life?

That was the problem for me, as my scar and plugs would have been noticeable had I shaved it. Keep in mind, though, I wrote that weblog 10 months ago before I had the repair. I feel different now for sure, but if a guy can deal with a shaved head then I believe that's the best way to go. I have a lot of colleagues who look great bald, but I could just never bring myself to it and couldn't pull it off.

From looking at your pics, I think even a small session of 1500 or so would make a world of difference. But, you can definitely improve things.

100? 'mini' grapfts by Latham's Hair Clinic - 1991 (Removed 50 plugs by Cooley 3/08.)

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

AndroGel - once daily

Jogging - 3x per week

Thanks again Dewayne. I think that my condition is as Dr. Lindsey described it.

I don't have much donor hair left but I do have some. The main problem is the lack of randomness and clumping at the front line.

Therefore I cannot recycle the old plugs and create completely new, instead I will talk with the doctor to mix new and old.

I am at work now, but when I return home I will take some close up pictures to post here so you can tell me your opinion, which is highly valuable to me, because I don't have much donor area left and the choice of procedure and especially of a doctor is crucial, and I admit I want the help of others, in order to avoid mistakes impossible to correct afterwards.

My doctor took the first row of old plugs out, as well as three "rows" the previous doctor had put into my crown. I was amazed looking at it in Dr. Cooley's office, that the doc in 1991 had put the exact same line pattern all the way back on my head.

He took those out, and cut them into one hair follicles and then replanted them and that made a big difference.

I don't see your donor area as being all that limited, and definitely think you could be fixed up pretty good.

Check out this doctor, who has an office right there in Athens. http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/Consult-a-Physician/doctors.asp?DrID=56

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

AndroGel - once daily

Jogging - 3x per week

Stamos welcome.

You came to the right place.

Pat Publisher on this forum declared:

I have been unfairly defamed many times on his forum over the years and not been allowed to respond nor could other supporters. I know how frustrating it feels to be banned, while others are allowed and encouraged to bash you.

Feel free to present your opinions and facts that you have gathered on this forum. But I ask that you no longer make illegal attacks upon Farrel's web site and forum. Farrel has a right to operate his site and visitors have a right to participate on it if they so choose. Your actions to disrupt his forum not only hurt Farrel but the many visitors to his site who benefit from sharing their experiences and opinions.

Let's trust in free speech and that the truth will come out without any of us having to resort to hacking code.

Pat

"

I trust Pat 100% that he means what he says.

Look,you want to come to USA to have transplant,right?

Come,the standard of care for HT patients ,is kinda "buyer be aware...if you get disfigured we really don't care....but here on this forum the best of the best surgeons are we swear icon_smile.gif.Just kidding ,come to USA,get some hair icon_smile.gif

Thanks John although you confused me

But I ask that you no longer make illegal attacks upon Farrel's web site and forum. Farrel has a right to operate his site and visitors have a right to participate on it if they so choose. Your actions to disrupt his forum not only hurt Farrel but the many visitors to his site who benefit from sharing their experiences and opinions.

What do you mean by that? icon_confused.gif

I assure you that this is the first forum regarding hair, I have been registered or posted.

My doctor took the first row of old plugs out, as well as three "rows" the previous doctor had put into my crown. I was amazed looking at it in Dr. Cooley's office, that the doc in 1991 had put the exact same line pattern all the way back on my head.

He took those out, and cut them into one hair follicles and then replanted them and that made a big difference.

Hello Dewayne, is this possible? I couldn't even imagine they have gone that far...

The problem with a doctor in Vancouver or America (less problem) is that I have to visit first to evaluate my condition and speak with the doctor then arrange for the surgery, return home and fly back to effect the surgery and therefore I would prefer Europe.

Can I have same results as Dewayne's with the doctors that MikeTheDane suggested (Dr. Devroye or Dr. Feriduni)?

Stamos,

You do have alot of ground to cover, but I bet you have more than enough hair to camouflage your thin front by dense packing the first half inch or more of your existing hairline. That is similar to planting trees between the olive tree farm and the road that I used in my analogy.

And you may have enough donor hair to really do alot more. Depends on your scarring and how stretchy your scalp is.

I would plan on the first option, and when you see your doctor, maybe there is enough to do the second.

Even option one will make a really nice change. Feel free to come to Washington if you are in the US and I would give you my opinion in person.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Originally posted by stamos:

Thanks for your advices Dr. Lindsay.

I live in Greece and its difficult to visit you, I hope I can have similar results in Europe.

stamos,

Research on here and other sites daily and you'll know a lot in about a month. I didn't go for an in-person consult before my surgery, but I felt I had learned enough to know what to expect. I did a consult with three or four clinics over the phone while we both looked at my pictures. I can assure you these clinics have seen similar situations. You won't be unique, believe me.

Did you check out the link to the doctor in Athens? I think you can get a great result in Europe, but I still wouldn't limit my options. What's a $1,000 when we're talking about the rest of your life? A lot of the clinics in Canada and the U.S. give travel discounts or credits as well.

But again, I think you can get good results in Europe but make sure the clinics are vetted on here and other forums.

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

AndroGel - once daily

Jogging - 3x per week

Well after a lot of thought I decided to go to the best doctor I can find, regardless of location and avoid mistakes of the past, in order to get the most natural result.

Suppose I choose Vancouver, do I have to go twice?

Or I can send them pictures, arrange the surgery date , put deposit and then fly to Vancouver and get it done at once?

send pictures via their websites online consultation. wait for an email reply and then I would schedule a phone consultation with the doctor. This will save you from having to fly there twice. And you can have all your questions answered over the phone.

After the phone consult, it is up to you what you decide to do. You can arrange a surgery date and put a deposit down during the phone consult or anytime you decide to call them back.

My initial HT thread:

done and done!! Check it out...

Stamos,

You can do a virtual consultation with anyone of our world class doctors by using our free online consult form. You can also send photos to them using it.

Clinics usually get back to patients within a week of the virtual consult inquiry, but feel free then to follow up with a phone call to clinics you are considering.

Best wishes,

Bill