M&M - Post Op with Dr. Shapiro - 11.5 Month Update

M&M

Jobi, Bushy, Bill,

Thanks guys for the kind words. Yeah, I'm pretty excited at how the hairline is becoming more and more refined over time. I can't believe what a late bloomer I am, but I'm encouraged by the results thus far. I'd love even more thickness... but surely there's a little 'hair greed' there.

NervousNelly,

I'm hanging in there. I've dropped a line with Shapiro Medical and should hear their thoughts by later this week.

1662 with Dr. Ron Shapiro - Spring 2006

1105 with Dr. Ron Shapiro - Fall 2009

M&M Weblog

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm nearly at the infamous 1-year mark!

The hairline is continuing to become more and more refined and there are virtually no traces of the Bosley 'plugs' remaining.

Since I realize I'm one of the 'lucky' slow growers, I think I will have to wait to month 14 or so before really realizing the full growth.

In fact, one of the strangest occurrences lately has been the appearance of ingrown hairs in my hairline (thus the scab in the latest photos).

I'm hanging in there hoping for continued thickness over the next few months so the ultimate dream comes true - the ability to style my hair any way I desire!

M&M Weblog

Congrats! M&M,

Looking very natural, hope you continue to get that late spurt of growth! Just curious about the scar on your right side, you mentioned some issues there, was it damaged from Bosely work making it difficult for Dr. Shapiro?

In any event it is easily concealed, stay well my friend.

NoBuzz

Originally posted by Bayer:

Hi M&M,

May not have seen , but what was the "Boz" location and who was the doc?

Bayer

Well, the 'where' is easy to answer - Seattle.

However, the 'who' is certainly not. The first Doctor was Dr. Smith (not sure of his first name). He was an older gent and I could tell afterwards that he actually felt bad operating on me at such a young age. I do give him credit for ensuring my hairline was not too low.

I can't remember the other Dr's (4 small procedures - different Dr. each time...). Oh how I wish I had waited!

M&M Weblog

Originally posted by nobuzz4me:

Congrats! M&M,

Looking very natural, hope you continue to get that late spurt of growth! Just curious about the scar on your right side, you mentioned some issues there, was it damaged from Bosely work making it difficult for Dr. Shapiro?

In any event it is easily concealed, stay well my friend.

Hi NobBuzz - thanks for the words of encouragement!

I had a pretty nasty scar thanks to Bosley, but Dr. Shapiro removed the old scar with the new procedure and gave me a tricho closure.

I had some trouble on my right side - it got infected for a short while, but I took some antibiotics and applied some prescription ointment to it as well. The scar is a little nasty at this point still, but I'm hoping that it will also improve with time. I've spoken to Dr. Shapiro at length about the scar and it's difficult to pinpoint what happened to this side for me - something caused it to stretch. I'm hoping that some hairs 'pop' through the scar to also hide it further going forward.

If I get another procedure, I'd just make sure that it removed this old scar.

M&M Weblog

M&M,

Looks good at 11 months bro. By what you state in your blog, it seems that you aren't as satisfied as you could be? From the pictures, I think it looks great, perfectly natural...but I know you keep saying you want more density. At 11 months, you are pretty close to maturity...you may experience some new growth, but not much at all if any. Thickening can occur up to 18 months or so...you could give it until then...but if you feel you need dramatic thickening, I wouldn't expect that at this point. You can always go back for more. Keep us posted bro!

Bill

Hi Bill! Thanks for the comments. I am very pleased with the naturalness of the hair. Just the other day it was very windy and my hair was blowing all over the place and not once was I concerned about someone noticing 'pluggy grafts', which was quite a relief!

The only area where I'm not 100% satisfied is in the thickness of the hair - which likely has a lot to do with personal goals / ambition.

On my blog, I state "I'm quickly realizing that I will either need some dramatic thickening or some more grafts to fully realize my lofty goals of being able to style my hair in any manner possible. Here's hoping for the best!"

I've discussed this with Dr. Shapiro one-on-one where we agreed that I'd give it about 14-15 months before reviewing my options.

M&M Weblog

Hi all

I'm at 14 months from my 2nd HT and I have seen a significant difference than 10 -12 months. A considerable amount of additional fullness. Just goes to show, it takes more than a year ( at least for me) for a total picture.. Good to know for my third but i'm only at 3.5 weeks post op

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Hey JOBI - now that's what I want to hear!

Do you have any photos documenting this late growth 'spurt'?

I've seen a few others who also had late growth in months 10-14, which provides me lots of optimism! Plus, I am having new hairs still coming in at the hairline (go figure!).

I think Dr. Shapiro was right on on his comment that I just need 2-4 months longer than 'average' to see my full results.

M&M Weblog

Hi MM

No pics but it's the truth icon_smile.gif .. It was not so much new growth but rather "FULLNESS".. Let's also keep in mind all hairs don't grow at once so maybe some have grown while others are filling in .. Give it 12-14 months

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

M&M,

Mrjb is correct. Thickening can definitely still occur up to 18 months. As I said, you probably shouldn't expect any new growth at this point (though it's still possible, but it would be minimal). But definitely listen to your doc and wait until about month 14 and see what happens. At that point, options will be set before you icon_smile.gif

Bill

Hey M&M,

Nice to see another update from you! I really do believe I've seen improvement in your pics with respect to thickening over the past few months.............time will tell how much more it will happen.

You've really got a great looking head of hair. Let us know how it goes for you.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Thanks Hairbank! It's always nice to get encouraging comments.

I'll continue to post updates with hopefully some nice outdoor photos in the near future to truly demonstrate what it looks like in everyday life.

M&M Weblog

Cool. IMO I think this is something that isn't done enough. Outdoor pics in the harshest of light show a "worst-case" scenario which I believe can help many considering a HT.

Look forward to seeing them.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

• 1 year later...

Arrie,

I think it's great someone wants to see my photos! I will take some within the next few days during the daylight to show off where it is, what my goals are going forward and then gather some opinions.

M&M Weblog