Perhaps A Strange Question

I'm preparing to schedule a session in the very near future.

Currently, I shave my head with an electric razor (with no guard...so it's not cleanly shaven...kind of a stubble...and fortunately...I have hair growing in all over my head, but it's just thinner on top).

I have a job in the public eye, so that's why I'm paranoid.

Here's my situation:

I want to get the procedure, but afterwards, I want to keep shaving my head until the 4 or 5 months later when the hair should start growing in.

I realize I may be leaving a lot of details out---and obviously, I'm new at all of this, so I may be asking a stupid question---but I was wondering if you guys could tell me if this is feasible.

If you have any questions that may help you give better advice, I'll be happy to answer as many as possible.

Thank you in advance for taking the time to read this and help me out.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm preparing to schedule a session in the very near future.

Currently, I shave my head with an electric razor (with no guard...so it's not cleanly shaven...kind of a stubble...and fortunately...I have hair growing in all over my head, but it's just thinner on top).

I have a job in the public eye, so that's why I'm paranoid.

Here's my situation:

I want to get the procedure, but afterwards, I want to keep shaving my head until the 4 or 5 months later when the hair should start growing in.

I realize I may be leaving a lot of details out---and obviously, I'm new at all of this, so I may be asking a stupid question---but I was wondering if you guys could tell me if this is feasible.

If you have any questions that may help you give better advice, I'll be happy to answer as many as possible.

Thank you in advance for taking the time to read this and help me out.

It isn't feasible - you will have a scar on the back of your head (in the donor area) and for the first few months, it will be angry red as it's healing.

You'll want to grow your hair out a bit to cover the scar at first. But it's all worth in the end icon_wink.gif

DC

The main factor would be if you get FUE or FUT.. FUT they remove a strip of skin from the back and FUE they take individual hairs..

With FUE you could hide it but you would need a week to 10 days for redness to subside..

FUT no way because you would see the scar on the back

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Hasson and Wong are excellent! I'll be seeing Doc Wong in a couple months for another pass!!

FUE is Follicular Unity Extraction where they use a surgical instrument (punch) to individually remove grafts from the back of your head and place them in the recipient area on top.

FUT, or more commonly referred to as STRIP, is where they take a "donor strip" of hair all at one time from the back of your head, cut of the grafts then place them on your head.

Tons of info here on each method if you care to use the find feature. Some highlights are:

STRIP - Less expensive, can do many more grafts at one time, you're left with a smile shaped scar on back of your head but it can be covered with as little as 1/4" - 1/2" of hair.

FUE - costs about twice as much, used better in smaller sessions of 400-600 (IMO), you will have scarring but it will be in the form of very small (hopefully) white dots on back of your head.

There's much more to each than I have listed but I don't want to "reinvent the wheel". It's all on this site, just use the find feature and do some research.

You may want to use this HT Calculator to determine how many grafts you need and where you need them. Keep in mind you need at least 45 grafts per cm2 for the appearance of dense hair.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

hello dallas,i was in the same situation as you once the redness of the recipient area has gone (2 weeks tops)i was able to buzz down to a no3.this is longer than no guard i know but is still short. as youngguy said it is all to do with the scar if it is done well and is nice and thin you will only need the min length of hair to cover this.you may experience as i did a very slight step in the back of your hair.or you could always be very open about your proceedure as i was then you can have it as short as you dare.

2381 fut Dr Bessam Farjo

2201 fut Dr Bessam Farjo

2000+ fut Dr Bessam Farjo

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Bessam Farjo

challenge the unchallenged.

Thank you guys for all the feedback. I really appreciate it.

Like I said, I'm not cleanly shaven, but I do shave my head with no guard...so it's awfully short.

Is the Hasson & Wong procedure that I will get FUE or FUT? In other words, do they only offer one option, or could I do FUE (but it sounds like that would be much more expensive)?

The only one that can answer the question of whether you're getting FUT or FUE is you and your doc. Email him and I'm quite sure you will know within hours icon_smile.gif

Obvious scarring/scabs on your head outside the strip scar? No, most likely none as you're going to a top notch doctor. Also, the strip scar will be very hard to detect after about 6-10 months so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Bottom line is, if you get a HT you lose the option to shave your head. For most, this is a decent tradeoff since folks get HTs because they DON'T want to shave their heads icon_wink.gif

YoungGuy,

Thank you.

I guess my situation is that I currently have my head shaved, and I don't want to start growing hair back because I'll be thin on top (until the hair starts growing back in), and again, I'm in the public eye.

So, if you're saying the only visible problem I'm going to have is the strip scar (which I really don't know how large that is), then that doesn't sound too bad. And, to me, at least on the surface, it sounds like something I'd be comfortable with having...unless you guys are telling me that it will a) look hideous even 3 weeks after the procedure and b)is a terrible idea (keep in mind, I'm obviously planning on growing my hair out in the 5-6 months it takes to grow back).

The strip scar will be hideous and ugly for several months. Typically H&W use a 30cm long strip. Measure that out on a ruler. It's a heck of a long scar. If you're worried about how thin the top of your head will look if you grow your hair out a little, you'll be totally embarrassed by a huge strip scar.

2700 Total Grafts w/ Keene 9/28/05

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

1000 Total Grafts w/Keene 2/08/07

Mostly combined FU's for 2600+ hairs

My Photo Album

See me at Dr. Keene's Gallery

Originally posted by dallascowboy:

Thank you guys for all the feedback. I really appreciate it.

Like I said, I'm not cleanly shaven, but I do shave my head with no guard...so it's awfully short.

Is the Hasson & Wong procedure that I will get FUE or FUT? In other words, do they only offer one option, or could I do FUE (but it sounds like that would be much more expensive)?

Both FUE and STRIP are FUT (Follicular Unit Transplants). Hasson and Wong do STRIP. The scar obviously will take some time to completely heal. However, if you can get 1/2" length or more before the HT it will likely cover it no problem.

As for scabs in the recipient site...........usually they will be gone by 10 days or so if you work at keeping it clean and shampooing as instructed. The only thing that may linger is possibly a pinkish tint to the skin for awhile.........may be gone in a couple of weeks or could take longer.

Hairbank

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Also.................I'll tell you, I work in a very professional environment as well............suit and tie every day, meeting with clients, social events, etc. I took 2 weeks off from my last HT and returned sporting the close-cropped look and made it through fine.

Hairbank

My Hair Loss Weblog

Is there any suggested reading and/or sites you could recommend for me?

I felt like I had done a decent amount of research, but I'm most definitely open to doing more.

I honestly hadn't been told until today to grow my hair out a little bit before getting this procedure.

Yes, 30cm. Mine was 27cm, which is very typical.

Search around, there are some people who post pictures of strip scars after surgery with short hair. I think Bill is one of them.

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

My Photo Album

Gorpy,

Since when have you had access to our patient files? Yes, 30cm is common, but so is 25, and 20 etc. When Dallas hasn't even commented on how many grafts he's expecting I find it odd that other consequential measurements are thrown about.

The Truth is in The Results

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Get off your high horse salesman Joe. I have seen plenty of stats from H&W patients. Dallas needs to know what he potentially is in for. He apparently has no idea about the strip scar so I was simply informing him of common strip lengths.

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

My Photo Album

As a fellow cowboy fan I will chime in...read "The Bald Truth"-by-spencer korben

Joe has a good point...On HLH forum I saw pics of patient of Dr.Hasson who only got 1350grafts and I highly doubt he was more then a 20cm strip(guess-Joe?)..any way his work looks amazing I couldn't tell he even had work done from his pics....What Gorpy was pointing out I think is more what makes its way to the forums larger cases (they do all different size sessions well not just large+)

http://www.hairlosshelp.com/forums/messageview.cfm?catid=5&threadid=69440

I'm ramping up. Keep it coming.This man does not deserve anything but respect. I WILL disasempble whatever youu wan't.

A hair on the head is worth two on the brush.

I don't work for commision.. I bust e'm for free. Thank me later.