Propecia. Okay to cut pills in half?

kramer

I read in the following link ( http://hair-restoration-info.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/366...406090861#3406090861 ) that a doctor told his patient that you only need 0.1 milligrams of propecia and it will still work.

Does anybody know if this is true? If it is, then I could cut the pills in half and save money.

Thanks,

Kramer

Don't know how you could ever cut down to .1 mg..............I do believe several cut it down to .5mg and take that daily. I take 1.25mg every other day which pretty much equates to the same thing. Yes, I do believe you can take a .5mg dosage daily with effectiveness. As I've said before, I was told by Dr. Wong that Finaseride actively inhibits DHT in the body for 72 hours so a daily dose isn't necessary. It has been working for me as I have mild regrowth. I don't see why .5mg daily is differnt than 1mg (or 1.25mg) every other day.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Originally posted by hairbank:

Don't know how you could ever cut down to .1 mg..............I do believe several cut it down to .5mg and take that daily. I take 1.25mg every other day which pretty much equates to the same thing. Yes, I do believe you can take a .5mg dosage daily with effectiveness. As I've said before, I was told by Dr. Wong that Finaseride actively inhibits DHT in the body for 72 hours so a daily dose isn't necessary. It has been working for me as I have mild regrowth. I don't see why .5mg daily is differnt than 1mg (or 1.25mg) every other day.

Thanks hairbank,

Actually, I just wanted to cut a propecia pill in half to 0.5mg/day. However, I wouldn't mind taking a full pill every other day. Either way, I am going to verify these options with a medical professional (I'm not calling you a liar or saying your wrong). I believe you but I just want to make sure before I make the change.

Kramer

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
.25mg every

Errm... Hi.

So, how did it go when you went to a medical professional ?

I very interested to know, as I am also taking 1.25 every other day, because of Hairbanks suggestion.

Please let me know the results.

Best regards,

Me

• 4 years later...

I take generic propecia, finesteride, I get the 5mg tablets from Canada and split them into quarters. So I really take about 1.25 mg per day. That is all I do. I want to know if this is just as good as the 1mg pill or does the 1mg have some kind of time release on it that I am missing with cutting up the 5mg. thanks

• 2 weeks later...

If you want to save money don't buy Propecia and get a perscription for Finasteride and cut the pill in fourth's with a pill cutter.

I bought Propecia for years and then I wised up and now I'm saving hundreds!

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!