Is there an average minimum number of grafts?

Does anybody know if there is an average for the number of grafts someone could have (who has never had a hair transplant)?

Thing is I had my hair checked out, and I was told I probably have about 6000 grafts - that just seemed quite low to me - I do have thin/fine hair if that makes a difference.

I need about 2500/2700 for my frontal third, which will leave me with 3500/3300. Which well doesn't seem like a lot.

Does anybody know if there is an average for the number of grafts someone could have (who has never had a hair transplant)?

Thing is I had my hair checked out, and I was told I probably have about 6000 grafts - that just seemed quite low to me - I do have thin/fine hair if that makes a difference.

I need about 2500/2700 for my frontal third, which will leave me with 3500/3300. Which well doesn't seem like a lot.

Well, honestly it depends on the clinic. Some can get more in one or a few surgeries than others. It also depends not only on your donor density but also your donor laxity which refers to the amount of vertical travel your scalp has on the sides and in the back.

With us, we consider the "average" patient to be able to get somewhere in the region of 6500 to 8000 grafts in more than one procedure.

The Truth is in The Results

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Boy how times change!

I see old plug patients who describe their transplant as 100 plugs done in one setting in the 80s and early 90s.

I saw a guy yesterday done by a competitor just up the street in 99 who had 400 minigrafts.

He then had 1200 micrografts in 2004 by the same guy.

I suggested 2000 fu's to try to get him less pluggy, and would do more if he had a better donor region. As it is, his 7mm wide scar, and multiple previous cases will limit my take if we want to give him a better scar than he already wound up with.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

But, would having thin hair restrict the amount of grafts that could be taken from the donor?

My concern is this. I have never had a transplant ever. I went to have my donor hair looked at, and I asked how much (roughly) I have. I asked this, because, although, I am not totally bald - I wanted to fill up the frontal third which is thinning. For this I need about 2500 to 2700 grafts. Now if lose beyond my frontal third, the vertex and the crown I'd like to know if I have enough hair in my reserves to combat that.

Hence I asked, the doc, how many grafts he thinks I have. I was told probably around 6000 - which could be used over time. I just thought 6000 seemed a little low - i thought on average people who have never had an ht would have at least 8000? I have good scalp laxity - I dont mind if it takes 2-3 sittings to get the 6000, I'm just wondering if my total number of 6000 would be a fair estimate of what I have. and whether because my hair is thin/fine it factors into this low number.

thanks

The description of thin or fine may be a bit confused here. Do you mean low donor density or just fine caliber hair shaft? They are not one in the same and in fact if one has fine hair shaft diameter they can have very good, even above average donor density.

The Truth is in The Results

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

I think I actually mean both?

Firstly, my hair is fine - yes fine caliber hair shaft.

Secondly I guess I also have low donor density - seeing as I apparently only have around 6000 grafts.

Which kind of makes me wonder is it possible for someone to have some a low number of grafts - considering they have never had a transplant?

Or is it just the luck of the draw, that you can thin fine hair in addition to have low donor density?

I guess I now understand having one does not mean you necessarily will have the other.