Propecia

Rico

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, legally, you do need a prescription to get Propecia/Proscar. I'm sure there are websites that may sell it to you at an elevated price without a prescription, but I wouldn't do it if I were you.

First - taking Propecia without a doctor's knowledge could mask the early warning signs of Prostate Cancer by screwing up your PSA test. Prostate Cancer is a very treatable disease if it is caught early enough. Understand me here, because this is an important point ... IN NO WAY DOES TAKING PROPECIA CAUSE PROSTATE CANCER! What I'm saying is that it can give your blood test a false reading if you are taking it and your doctor doesn't know it.

Secondly - getting a prescription from your doctor is a piece of cake. Most of the time your doctor would even give a free sample for you if you are trying it for the first time. This can be your regular Family Doctor, or it can be your HT surgeon.

Third - And this one is just my opinion ... I would rather get the medicine from my local pharmacy than from some mail-order or internet site that I have no idea how old their supply is, or how it has been handled. All pharmaceutical products have expiration dates because they lose their potency over time. Yes, we need fresh drugs like we need fresh produce! Also, all drugs have handling information on them, like what temperature it should be stored at, etc. Some drugs are more sensative than others to temperature and light exposure, to name just a few factors. If they are exposed to extremely low temperatures (like in the back of a UPS truck in the north during winter, or in the belly of a cargo plane at altitude) they can lose potency. The same can be true at high temperatures ... like that same UPS truck in the south in the summer. Exposure to light can do the same thing. I'm not sure how sensative Propecia is to these factors ... but its something to keep in mind.

And, oh yeah ... its good to have a Prescription for it.

Texasnw,

You can get an on-line consult for Propecia on this web-site...I did, and the company sent Propecia to my house. I think the consult fee was $70.00.

NW

Hi FiveHead,

I am getting my Propecia from DrugStore.com, I am hoping they not sending me an expired Propecia.

I mean its not some a mail order, but it a well known site. what you think?

let me know

thanks

WebPro

Yes, legally, you do need a prescription to get Propecia/Proscar. I'm sure there are websites that may sell it to you at an elevated price without a prescription, but I wouldn't do it if I were you.

First - taking Propecia without a doctor's knowledge could mask the early warning signs of Prostate Cancer by screwing up your PSA test. Prostate Cancer is a very treatable disease if it is caught early enough. Understand me here, because this is an important point ... IN NO WAY DOES TAKING PROPECIA CAUSE PROSTATE CANCER! What I'm saying is that it can give your blood test a false reading if you are taking it and your doctor doesn't know it.

Secondly - getting a prescription from your doctor is a piece of cake. Most of the time your doctor would even give a free sample for you if you are trying it for the first time. This can be your regular Family Doctor, or it can be your HT surgeon.

Third - And this one is just my opinion ... I would rather get the medicine from my local pharmacy than from some mail-order or internet site that I have no idea how old their supply is, or how it has been handled. All pharmaceutical products have expiration dates because they lose their potency over time. Yes, we need fresh drugs like we need fresh produce! Also, all drugs have handling information on them, like what temperature it should be stored at, etc. Some drugs are more sensative than others to temperature and light exposure, to name just a few factors. If they are exposed to extremely low temperatures (like in the back of a UPS truck in the north during winter, or in the belly of a cargo plane at altitude) they can lose potency. The same can be true at high temperatures ... like that same UPS truck in the south in the summer. Exposure to light can do the same thing. I'm not sure how sensative Propecia is to these factors ... but its something to keep in mind.

And, oh yeah ... its good to have a Prescription for it.

WebPro -

I think you are pretty safe in ordering from DrugStore.com. They are the internet presence for Rite Aid Pharmacy ... so I doubt they are playing any shenanigans.

Other websites may not be so reputable, but they could still be sending you unexpired Propecia ... it just may be short-dated. In other words, it only has a few days or weeks to go before it expires. Then again, you could have the same problem if you went to a small little mom-and-pop pharmacy that doesn't have enough customers to go through its bottle of Propecia on the shelf.

I didn't mean to create a panic, here, all I'm saying is I feel better picking it up locally. Since 1 mg of finasteride is such a tiny amount, I would guess it would be more vulnerable to environmental effects, like heat, cold, light, and age.

DrugStore.com is as good as anyplace you'll find online, though.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>what part of the head does propecia regrow hair?

It can work anywhere on the head where you have miniaturization of follicles. It's not limited to any one area. It can even help protect your donor hair from thinning, if you are one of the guys who responds to it.

You can find it online and some places do not require a prescription. I'm with 5Head though, it is nice to get it from a local source.

Also, it could be a good idea to get it through your doctor. That way if you have any questions or complications, you already have someone to discuss it with.

texasNW2:

don't count for a second on Propecia helping you regrowth hair in the temples. That won't happen. Researchers aren't sure why.

Propecia is awesome at "keeping the hair you have". If you get regrowth, chances are it'll be on the crown and a slim chance for regrowth on the top of the head.

Propecia can halt or reverse miniturization, which gives you the appearance of more hair.

Just letting you know that the temple regrowth won't happen (unless you get an HT).

vocor1

Knowledge is Power

If the worst question is the one never asked, then the worst answer is the one never shared.

It can work on any area. The more recent the hair loss, the better.

Some people say Propecia works "better" on the crown than the temples, but I wouldn't go so far as saying it "can't" work there.

Look, if you are losing your hair you need to be on Propecia, unless you want to lose more hair. Keep your fingers crossed on regrowth, and use growth-inducing topicals like Minoxidil 5% on your temples.

Please don't get a transplant if all you want to do is fill in your temples... transplants are really for guys with a large balding area, guys in an advanced stage of hair loss. If you are really Norwood 2, you are not bald enough for cosmetic surgery, in my opinion.

I was just relaying info I found on propecia.com earlier on.

Hey, I'd like to believe that it can regrow anywhere, but I think there is a very slim chance of that. At least regrowth of any cosmetic significance.

Minox had the same results of helping mostly on the crown and sometimes elsewhere.

The good thing about Propecia is that it is so easy to take. And wherever hair wants to regrow, then great! Minox a bit tougher to apply. I only use 5% once a day in the evening now. In the morning, it just coats the hair too much and looks like crap. I try to apply it directly to the scalp, but it runs and you have to massage it in and inevitably, it gets into your hair and all over.

If my hair was much shorter, I don't think it would be a problem.

But I digress . . . I just wouldn't cross my fingers on regrowth in the temples. If you miraculously get it, more power to you.

vocor1

Knowledge is Power

If the worst question is the one never asked, then the worst answer is the one never shared.