Propecia - Is this possible?

Raphael84

Okay, Im sorry for starting so many topics and asking numerous questions of late but I have another one.

I was using Propecia for 3 years with what I feel to be no results. My hair continued to thin. Also my crown area developed in that time, from good coverage, to extrememly thin/balding patches. Due to my current location, I couldnt get hold of more Propecia as planned and therefore stopped using for maybe 2 months. Ten weeks ago, I began using again, and saw initail shedding, but already after only 10 weeks, I feel that my crown area and top may be seeing results in regrowth. Is this possible after only ten weeks "re-use" and having been a "non-responder" previously. Or is it all in my head?

I plan to take some photos at the three month use mark and Im sure that will tell the truth!

Patient Advisor for Dr. Bisanga - BHR Clinic 

ian@bhrclinic.com   -    BHR YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcH4PY1OxoYFwSDKzAkZRww

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

Okay, Im sorry for starting so many topics and asking numerous questions of late but I have another one.

I was using Propecia for 3 years with what I feel to be no results. My hair continued to thin. Also my crown area developed in that time, from good coverage, to extrememly thin/balding patches. Due to my current location, I couldnt get hold of more Propecia as planned and therefore stopped using for maybe 2 months. Ten weeks ago, I began using again, and saw initail shedding, but already after only 10 weeks, I feel that my crown area and top may be seeing results in regrowth. Is this possible after only ten weeks "re-use" and having been a "non-responder" previously. Or is it all in my head?

I plan to take some photos at the three month use mark and Im sure that will tell the truth!

ian@bhrclinic.com   -    BHR YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcH4PY1OxoYFwSDKzAkZRww

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

Fellow posters and Doctors also, I would really appreciate everybodys thoughts on this. If you have a second to post your opinions, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Raphael

Raphael,

I think sometimes you have to trust your eyes. If you're seeing some regrowth, it's quite possible you are.

I honestly can't account for the lack of result for 3 years and then it starts to work starting it up again after a short break.

Are you still buying your Propecia from the same place? Were you ever using generics?

Either way, I'm glad it seems to be working for you now and hope it continues.

All the Best,

Bill

I think sometimes you have to trust your eyes. If you're seeing some regrowth, it's quite possible you are.

Bill:

I disagree with trusting your eyes. Only pictures of before and after can give a clear answer on whether he has any regrowth.

Same thing with this MSM bs and faster growing nails...if you don't document with pictures and measurement, there is no way to assess whether nails are growing faster...

The mind is VERY powerful and can play tricks on you.

I am not a doctor. The opinions and comments are of my own.

HT with Dr. Cooley on Nov 20, 2008

2097 grafts, 3957 hairs

Proscar, 1.25 mg daily, skip the 5th day, started Nov 2007

My Hair Loss Blog - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Latinlotus,

True words, your mind is a powerful thing. I agree, and you often believe what you want to believe. Whilst its so important to be totally realistic, a little hope and positiveness can also not be a bad thing.

Regarding where I got my meds, always from a realiable source for sure. Initially Propecia, then Proscar and I have changed again due to pricing of late to Finasteride generics but have not began to use these yet. Having taken some pics today, the results are not as obvious as I would have liked but I still feel very positive regarding possible improvements. Maybe the next set of pics in a few months will add further clarity!

First off, I agree with Latinlotus...unless you take photos you will not have a true scope of what Propecia is doing. I have had patients that swear that they have progressed over the course of the first year of using Propecia. When we take photos to compare it is evident things have thicken. I would strongly recommend adding Rogaine Foam if you want the best and safest arsenal (Avodart ??“ potential for greater side effects) and understand it takes up to two years to see ultimately how you are responding to the meds. With Merck's clinical studies taking photos every six months showed that in many case things did not start to change until a year. Proper expectations also need to be in line, which are to maintain and thicken hair that is miniaturizing and not with expectations of re growth. If you get re growth chalk it up as bonus, however, if anything can grow hair back these two meds can, especially together. Even with no re growth these meds can improve your condition. Re growth is great, however, simple math shows if you double the diameter of a hair it does 4 time more then adding a hair of the same quality. So, if you have hair that has miniaturized to half its diameter and you can bring it back, it will bolster things up quite a bit. We are strong advocate of meds that work. Keeping as much native hair as you can it will allow a patient one of two things; either allow you to do less surgery or achieve a thicker result then you would be able to achieve with surgery alone. Either one is a tremendous benefit to the patient.

Patient Educator, Shapiro Medical. Going on 20years with Dr Ron Shapiro......not a regular poster, I leave that to Janna

"maxhair

Veteran Real Hair Club Member

Posted December 30, 2008 12:35 AM Hide Post

If I remember correctly there was a forum topic claiming that some user would take a month or two off every 12 months (I believe) from using propecia to break down the bodies resistance to the drug. After that time off, the claim was that propecia began to work like new again.

Avodart; A question for the MDs, especially Drs Rose and Shapiro

My HT blog with Dr Arocha"

Okay, I saw this post in a particular discussion in the hair loss drugs section, and thought that it was very appropriate to this particular subject. What are peoples thoughts and experiences of this particular theory. Can taking a short break from finasteride, then restarting, "kick start" its effectiveness???

This could perhaps be some kind of explanation in my current situation.